Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

CIMB Group Share, Discussion on cimb group share

views

TSjoeblow
post Mar 5 2020, 09:33 PM, updated 5y ago

Regular
1,034 posts

Hi guys,

Need your expert advice on this counter. I am actually very vested in cimb and quite frustrated with its performance lately. Now my portfolio is negative, not sure if I should continue to invest in this counter or start buying other bank counters like HL, Maybank and Public Bank.

Cimb is one of the big 3 banks in Malaysia that cannot fail, decent overseas exposure and a gem in touch and go. May even get digital bank license too. But seems management not up to par and political situation isn't helping. Not sure if the new government is good news to cimb? What do you guys think?
GOPI56
post Mar 5 2020, 09:35 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

No comments regarding sotong bank.
Jaclow
post Mar 5 2020, 09:38 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

I think as there are alot of room for opr cut.
The bank gonna kena more..now the virus hit worldwide.

Worldwide business will be down and bad loan increase.

Take a look at rbs.l and bank of America...all down.
sairay
post Mar 5 2020, 09:40 PM

Getting Started
233 posts

QUOTE(joeblow @ Mar 5 2020, 09:33 PM)
Hi guys,

Need your expert advice on this counter. I am actually very vested in cimb and quite frustrated with its performance lately. Now my portfolio is negative, not sure if I should continue to invest in this counter or start buying other bank counters like HL, Maybank and Public Bank.

Cimb is one of the big 3 banks in Malaysia that cannot fail, decent overseas exposure and a gem in touch and go. May even get digital bank license too. But seems management not up to par and political situation isn't helping. Not sure if the new government is good news to cimb? What do you guys think?
As far as I know I don't think they r applying for digital banking license. This would hit it's revenue n as well as current opr reduction. Banking stock need to be on the caution side now. A lot of negatively around it.
Jaclow
post Mar 5 2020, 09:41 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

https://klse.i3investor.com/m/blog/bimbrese...eady_at_3_0.jsp

Read this..plenty of room..means more to come.
TSjoeblow
post Mar 5 2020, 09:48 PM

Regular
1,034 posts

Thanks for all comments so far. Macro issues aside which we cannot control, I still prefer to hold bank stocks long term.

What about the management and if the new govt would be good to the bank? Or I should start divesting to other counters? I know PB management is strong, but their price already quite high and so is Maybank. MB is dividend play and not much upside... I could be wrong.
moosset
post Mar 5 2020, 09:49 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Mar 5 2020, 09:35 PM)
literally or figuratively speaking? laugh.gif
GOPI56
post Mar 5 2020, 09:51 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Mar 5 2020, 10:49 PM)
literally or figuratively speaking?  laugh.gif
Most of people likes to call CIMB bank as sotong bank while Maybank is Rimau bank.
Jaclow
post Mar 5 2020, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

Of coz ximb as it kena whack so much.
Yggdrasil
post Mar 5 2020, 10:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

How much you invested? Why you didn't diversify into other banks/industry?

I agree that their TnG is good.
The thing is CIMB has DRIPs causing share dilution. This means that if earnings does not increase at a faster rate than the new shares issued, the EPS will fall and price will fall.

One more thing is that banking shares have a hard time recovering to pre-2008 prices because of the new accounting standard which requires a more prudent approach.
TSjoeblow
post Mar 5 2020, 10:34 PM

Regular
1,034 posts

QUOTE(Yggdrasil @ Mar 5 2020, 10:12 PM)
The thing is CIMB has DRIPs causing share dilution. This means that if earnings does not increase at a faster rate than the new shares issued, the EPS will fall and price will fall.

One more thing is that banking shares have a hard time recovering to pre-2008 prices because of the new accounting standard which requires a more prudent approach.
Partly because bank still stable and other industries I have no idea. Because of DRIP and the 10 ringgit stamp duty, I continued to slowly accumulate this share. But lately prices dropped like flies... TnG good, but cimb execution not there. All the tie up with China payment platform leads to nowhere.

Let's see how then. Now I will move more money to bank stocks considering FD is basically gone...

This post has been edited by joeblow: Mar 5 2020, 10:35 PM
plouffle0789
post May 9 2021, 02:48 AM

Regular
1,035 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Mar 5 2020, 09:35 PM)
Why???

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f...#entry100863858

Quite funny

Now cimb bank is 100 percent in touch n go sdn bhd

But cimb clicks internet banking can reload to touch n go???

This post has been edited by plouffle0789: May 9 2021, 02:48 AM
plouffle0789
post May 9 2021, 02:50 AM

Regular
1,035 posts

QUOTE(Yggdrasil @ Mar 5 2020, 10:12 PM)

Maybank also have DRIP right?

Cimb always low perform than cimb

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f...#entry100863858

Do you think touch n go is a good investment by cimb?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:57 PM