Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Gadget Use in Children = Autism?

views

TSdhaniasorfina
post Feb 10 2020, 11:32 PM, updated 5y ago

2 posts

Does gadget use in children cause autism? I'm trying to find out!

Hi guys! My name is Dhania Sorfina, a student pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy and I’m currently conducting a study entitled Association between Electronic Screen Exposure and Autistic-Like Symptoms among Typically Developing Toddlers.

I would like to invite parents with toddlers that fit the following criteria to complete a brief survey.

https://forms.gle/HJKjGnd3zN37PGN37

1. Toddler is aged between 16-30 months
2. Typically developing toddler (toddler not diagnosed or have any pending diagnostic observation with any form of developmental delay)
3. Toddler is exposed to or uses screen-based media (e.g. television, tablets, phone, gaming console)

You are allowed to fill in the survey for each child separately.

This study aims to identify the patterns of electronic screen exposure and its association with autistic-like symptoms among typically developing toddlers in Malaysia.

All information will be kept strictly confidential and purely for academic purpose and it shall not be given or distributed to any third party.

I really appreciate your support and cooperation.

Thank you for your kind consideration.
soul78
post Feb 11 2020, 12:00 AM

On my way
643 posts

My friend.. i'll save you a load of your time here and you should be researching Vaccination causes autism...

go look into that rather than putting the blame on use of gadgets like smartphones, tablets or any other means of stimulant .

kira_88
post Feb 11 2020, 12:09 AM

Hello, is it me you're looking for?
1,105 posts

QUOTE(soul78 @ Feb 11 2020, 12:00 AM)
My friend.. i'll save you a load of your time here and you should be researching Vaccination causes autism...

go look into that rather than putting the blame on use of gadgets like smartphones, tablets or any other means of stimulant .
what facts do you have in supporting your statements? no "actual" studies proves your statements.
Daddy2be
post Feb 11 2020, 11:24 AM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(kira_88 @ Feb 11 2020, 12:09 AM)
what facts do you have in supporting your statements? no "actual" studies proves your statements.
Not siding with anyone but did autism just pop up in the past 20yrs ? 100yrs ago got electronic gadget ? How do you explain autism then ? Might as well associate breathing with all the problems in this world
TSdhaniasorfina
post Feb 11 2020, 11:56 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(Daddy2be @ Feb 11 2020, 11:24 AM)
Not siding with anyone but did autism just pop up in the past 20yrs ? 100yrs ago got electronic gadget ? How do you explain autism then ? Might as well associate breathing with all the problems in this world
Before we get into some sort of a quarrel, the purpose of this study is open-ended. Its either to debunk the myth that gadget usage has an association with autism or vice versa. That is my research and it is what I am trying to find out. It is only undergrad level, so I can only do so through the means of a survey. Surely I didn't decide to work on this without proper consideration. I'll leave a link to one of the literature that I've found, among many others.

Early electronic screen exposure and autistic-like symptoms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P...f/irdr-7-69.pdf
Daddy2be
post Feb 11 2020, 02:38 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(dhaniasorfina @ Feb 11 2020, 11:56 AM)
Before we get into some sort of a quarrel, the purpose of this study is open-ended. Its either to debunk the myth that gadget usage has an association with autism or vice versa. That is my research and it is what I am trying to find out. It is only undergrad level, so I can only do so through the means of a survey. Surely I didn't decide to work on this without proper consideration. I'll leave a link to one of the literature that I've found, among many others.

Early electronic screen exposure and autistic-like symptoms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P...f/irdr-7-69.pdf
Not trying to draw anything to your study. A study of any kind is helpful to fighting this illness.
kira_88
post Feb 13 2020, 01:53 PM

Hello, is it me you're looking for?
1,105 posts

QUOTE(Daddy2be @ Feb 11 2020, 11:24 AM)
It may or may not have been there in the past but since medical field are not as advance as now on some of this syndrome may have just been seen as a problematic misbehaved children.
with current medical field advancement a lot of disease or syndrome are able to be diagnosed better and earlier so intervention can begin earlier.

remember when people used to see bomoh when people have abnormal growth/tumour/cancer on their body and bomoh will say kena buatan orang.
now with increased public awareness and medical detection it can be diagnosed earlier and treated which higher chance of recovering compared to last time.

same can be said with autism.15 years ago ive never heard of the word spoken by anyone. now everyone now what autism is.

aisyahbb P
post Feb 28 2020, 05:27 PM

Probation
18 posts

i think we hear about autism a lot more now because it's more widely diagnosed as compared to in the past where such things were kept hush hush, or parents didn't want to seek professional opinion to diagnose their children. so it's also more of a change in our environment (more openness etc) that has led to autism becoming more "popular" and frequently heard about.

there might be a link between autism and gadget use, probably more studies would be required. but just wanted to share one view on why autism is more known now.
Queen_AQ
post Mar 7 2020, 11:21 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

Sound like interesting question, pls update on what you find. Good luck
chiwawa10
post Mar 12 2020, 03:44 PM

Casual
379 posts

Any update on your findings? Or, is it still ongoing?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0110sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:04 PM