3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Effects of Coronavirus on travel

views

TSreal55555
post Jan 31 2020, 12:51 PM, updated 5y ago

Casual
309 posts

Putting aside the sad news of the emergence of corona virus, can we have a discussion/update on how this affects our travelling plans, prices, attraction crowds etc.

A few countries have already placed a ban on flights departing to and arriving from China, and some countries have visa restrictions etc on Chinese citizens. This means maybe 70-80% of chinese tourists will cancel or unable to make it to their planned travel destinations. What I'd like on this discussion are probably as follows:

Examples:

1. Airtravel:

a) Return tickets of cathay pacific from KL - London has dropped to RM2400 for 24/03 - 29/03 from RM2700 when I looked it up before CNY
b) A lot of empty seats on my flight to Hong Kong yesterday
c) No hot meals were served on my flight to Hong Kong yesterday with Malaysia Airlines.

2. Attractions:
a) No/shorter queues needed at Universal Studios Singapore when I visited yesterday
b) Ticket prices have dropped for entry to Paris Disneyland

3. Others that you can think of

thanks
miyakochan89
post Jan 31 2020, 01:20 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

Suggest not to travel and cancel plans to minimise the risks. Not worth to risk your own lives and then others just to save some money even with all the discounts. And in Europe, Asians definitely won't be that welcomed.

And if you are Chinese, even if you have never visited China before, expect a lot of suspicious stares, rudeness, avoidance. When the virus spreading wasn't this serious, I already felt the effect when I was in Amsterdam airport and I did overhear an old lady who was staring at me, whispering to her husband about 'virus'. *Shrug*

This post has been edited by miyakochan89: Jan 31 2020, 01:21 PM
TSreal55555
post Jan 31 2020, 01:59 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Jan 31 2020, 01:20 PM)
Suggest not to travel and cancel plans to minimise the risks. Not worth to risk your own lives and then others just to save some money even with all the discounts. And in Europe, Asians definitely won't be that welcomed.

And if you are Chinese, even if you have never visited China before, expect a lot of suspicious stares, rudeness, avoidance. When the virus spreading wasn't this serious, I already felt the effect when I was in Amsterdam airport and I did overhear an old lady who was staring at me, whispering to her husband about 'virus'. *Shrug*
Yes, of course best move is to postpone travel.... but this discussion is not about saving money etc.

And yes, the discrimination or stares at asians is the things I'd like to see people share on this topic.
adele123
post Feb 1 2020, 06:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,413 posts

I think you need to put in more examples so people dont misunderstand the intention of your post

One of the impact is probably our beloved air asia... passengers cancelling flights...
deodorant
post Feb 1 2020, 06:01 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

Go on crowded metro and cough loudly then ppl might get up and then you can sit down 😂
Nail Biting
post Feb 4 2020, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

The price of the travel insurance will increase as well
skzisghost
post Feb 4 2020, 03:41 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

No need virus westerner already stare and racist at chinese lolz, thank prc bro and sis

I think still can travel, but avoid countries nearby china, take full precaution, proper hygiene

Actually in malaysia also almost same risk as traveling, unless u stay in your house 24/7

If go western countries wear shirt “I am from Malaysia” 🤣
deodorant
post Feb 5 2020, 09:58 AM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(skzisghost @ Feb 4 2020, 03:41 PM)
I think now even Asian countries we must wear liao 😂
TSreal55555
post Feb 5 2020, 10:37 AM

Casual
309 posts

No need virus westerner already stare and racist at chinese lolz, thank prc bro and sis

I think still can travel, but avoid countries nearby china, take full precaution, proper hygiene

Actually in malaysia also almost same risk as traveling, unless u stay in your house 24/7

lol different.. when u go travel u get in contact in more people and will be in higher risked areas such as airports, tourist attractions, etc where there are a higher concentration of people in those places.
SoccerBro19
post Feb 6 2020, 05:07 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

currently rethinking future travel plans because of the virus...
kokwei1125
post Feb 7 2020, 10:04 AM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(real55555 @ Feb 5 2020, 10:37 AM)
lol different.. when u go travel u get in contact in more people and will be in higher risked areas such as airports, tourist attractions, etc where there are a higher concentration of people in those places.
somehow i felt the safest place might be airport..

You will see everyone in airport definitely on mask, airport doing disinfect regularly, monitoring tourists body temperature and so on
sanitizer is everywhere in airport
ppl afraid of traveling and airport having less crowd..

Human Nature
post Feb 8 2020, 06:33 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,131 posts

On the other hand, i am thinking to take this opportunity to travel, but flight ticket prices are not reduced drastically yet

This post has been edited by Human Nature: Feb 8 2020, 06:34 PM
arthurlwf
post Feb 9 2020, 11:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

QUOTE(real55555 @ Jan 31 2020, 12:51 PM)
Putting aside the sad news of the emergence of corona virus, can we have a discussion/update on how this affects our travelling plans, prices, attraction crowds etc.

A few countries have already placed a ban on flights departing to and arriving from China, and some countries have visa restrictions etc on Chinese citizens. This means maybe 70-80% of chinese tourists will cancel or unable to make it to their planned travel destinations. What I'd like on this discussion are probably as follows:

Examples:

1. Airtravel:

a) Return tickets of cathay pacific from KL - London has dropped to RM2400 for 24/03 - 29/03 from RM2700 when I looked it up before CNY
b) A lot of empty seats on my flight to Hong Kong yesterday
c) No hot meals were served on my flight to Hong Kong yesterday with Malaysia Airlines.

2. Attractions:
a) No/shorter queues needed at Universal Studios Singapore when I visited yesterday
b) Ticket prices have dropped for entry to Paris Disneyland

3. Others that you can think of
thanks
If a person recovered from Wuhan virus, its the best time to travel.

L.Torreira
post Feb 9 2020, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

I am from Indonesia more powderful
tinyisland
post Feb 11 2020, 04:39 PM

36 posts

My family members book a MAB (MAS) flight from Penang to KL on 18 Feb (Tue) AM weeks ago. It is paid. But, they were informed yesterday that the flight is postponed to 19 Feb (Wed).

There is no way to accept the new schedule since they also book the MAB (MAS) flight from KL to Taiwan on 18 Feb PM.

What should they do? They seem to drive their own from Penang to KL to catch up the flight from KL to Taiwan.

Their return flight from KL to Pennag also the same. Postpone to the next day.

Can they appeal and get the compensation from MAB (MAS)? Else, what should they do or what is the procedure?

Thank you very much in advance on your advise.

unitron
post Feb 11 2020, 04:46 PM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

Have you checked with MAS ?

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/help.html
lawsh
post Feb 11 2020, 04:51 PM

Cikurity
6,785 posts

depends on ticket price also
you will have a stronger case if your flights are Penang-KL-Taiwan as a connecting flight
MICKEYB
post Feb 11 2020, 04:56 PM

48 posts

If they changed your flight time > 4 hours, you should be eligible for a full refund, or a change to any other date of your choice.

Did you book the entire trip together with MAS, ie you paid for Penang > KL > Taiwan directly with MAS? If yes, then you should be able to demand for them to fly you in a day earlier, and sort out your accommodation etc while waiting for your transit.
jwyj
post Feb 11 2020, 04:59 PM

H
1,005 posts

Contact them and get an earlier flight on 18 Feb.
tinyisland
post Feb 11 2020, 05:14 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(unitron @ Feb 11 2020, 04:46 PM)
Yes, contacted. The answer is either accept the new schedule or cancel on your own cost.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:24 AM