Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to really jumpstart dead battery

views

TSah_suknat
post Jan 25 2020, 04:08 PM, updated 5y ago

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

Well my MIL's car battery is weak and cant start, naturally we want to jump start using our car.

So being read in the internet and also even instruction manual on how to jump start a car like this pictures:

user posted image

When my wife saw me trying to connect the clip to the car body, she told me to connect it to the negative terminal, I told her no its connected to the car body and even show her the above picture.

So I proceed then trying to start, but fail, keep cranking and the car still wont start. then my wife say try la connect to the negative terminal like she said, then I reconnect it and voila it start in one try. Then she make fun of me trying to act all smart, so I am very embarrassed.

So guys, is the internet and instructions wrong? Wife is always right?
qsub
post Jan 25 2020, 04:23 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

Ur wife is correct, now buy her a nice dinner!
fireballs
post Jan 25 2020, 04:25 PM

5,627 posts

Connect to body is correct. To avoid explosion risk when correct to neg terminal.

But I think in well ventilated place, no risk of hydrogen build up, then connect to terminal. There will be a spark.
dares
post Jan 25 2020, 04:31 PM

Enthusiast
827 posts

Last time I jumpstart my dad's Vios, the -ve terminal mmg sambung to car body, ok jer can start.
zuozi
post Jan 25 2020, 04:40 PM

Enthusiast
881 posts

QUOTE(ah_suknat @ Jan 25 2020, 04:08 PM)
Well my MIL's car battery is weak and cant start, naturally we want to jump start using our car.

So being read in the internet and also even instruction manual on how to jump start a car like this pictures:

user posted image

When my wife saw me trying to connect the clip to the car body, she told me to connect it to the negative  terminal, I told her no its connected to the car body and even show her the above picture.

So I proceed then trying to start, but fail, keep cranking and the car still wont start. then my wife say try la connect to the negative terminal like she said, then I reconnect it and voila it start in one try. Then she make fun of me trying to act all smart, so I am very embarrassed.

All engine bay are painted no way you can find a unpainted body , you either negative clamp on a engine it self , the aka proper is above all the negatives return to your jump start battery rather than return to your lacking power battery from my imagination lol , but no point I guess since all protect by your fuse are + if you accidentally + clamp on body I guess gg also

The diagram to me look like same haha

This post has been edited by zuozi: Jan 25 2020, 04:41 PM
TDUEnthusiast
post Jan 25 2020, 04:54 PM

Critical thinking
Group Icon
Elite
10,015 posts

Check the owner's manual. It may list the correct location for the ground in the jump-start section (if written)

If not, the engine itself is normally the best choice as it's unpainted. Pick somewhere where the cable clamps can bite onto securely.

Example for suitable point for Proton's Campro engine:

The engine hoist point that's just right next to the dipstick in the picture below

user posted image

From my experience, if the car with the dead battery fails to start, it's just the grounding point selected is not good enough

This post has been edited by TDUEnthusiast: Jan 25 2020, 04:59 PM
kurangak
post Jan 25 2020, 04:58 PM

certified /k addict
1,154 posts

user posted image

When my wife saw me trying to connect the clip to the car body, she told me to connect it to the negative  terminal, I told her no its connected to the car body and even show her the above picture.

the good car must be running. and ramp the RPM above 2k. wait for a few minutes to charge the bad car's battery, then only crank.

This post has been edited by kurangak: Jan 25 2020, 04:59 PM
rcracer
post Jan 25 2020, 08:48 PM

?????
3,743 posts

bad grounding to body can affect the maximum current

straight to battery in only option then
acbc
post Jan 25 2020, 08:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

Don't argue with a woman. Later no sex.
zeng
post Jan 25 2020, 09:37 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

Both methods are correct .
But your internet picture method(body) is less effective, more prone to failure as your experience demonstrate .
I personally prefer negative to negative terminals direct method .
hft
post Jan 25 2020, 09:41 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

user posted image

Same terminal to same terminal between batteries. Thats all. Wait sometime as jump start like this will draw power from the depleted battery actually, let it charge for a while after connected.
SUSFenix98
post Jan 25 2020, 10:24 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

user posted image

Fig 4 can clamp it onto the engine itself...

This post has been edited by Fenix98: Jan 25 2020, 10:31 PM
6UE5T
post Jan 26 2020, 04:04 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Just connect - to - , more effective in practice.
unitron
post Jan 28 2020, 04:12 PM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

user posted image

Kesian.... you can clamp to car body, but need to be unpainted surface & MUST have good connection with the -ve terminal.
If you trace the -ve leads from your car battery you will see it's connected to the car body

But easier just connect to -ve terminal lah... direct power.
MR_alien
post Jan 28 2020, 05:58 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,300 posts

the chart is correct
connect to terminal works but not recommended
gokundrz
post Jan 28 2020, 06:05 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Connect to both battery terminal (car wont start), positive to terminal car running, negative to body /ground car running

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:58 AM