Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Suggest me some laptop testing tools

views

TSCulture P
post Jan 25 2020, 02:17 AM, updated 5y ago

Probation
22 posts

Since nobody reply me in mobile computing section I decided to post here for help.

Need software tools to test out the laptop.

LCD panel pixel bleeding etc, Keyboard,Touchpad,Battery,CPU,GPU,SSD,HDD,etc and anything else I need before warranty runs out.

Any tools to backup a copy of the windows partition or image in case anything goes wrong, I can restore.

Currently stuck at 1903 so how do I update? I only know how to play games.

They only install a barabone windows 10 on it. sad.gif

Would appreciate some help here.
netmatrix
post Jan 25 2020, 01:05 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(Culture @ Jan 25 2020, 02:17 AM)
Since nobody reply me in mobile computing section I decided to post here for help.

LCD panel pixel bleeding etc, Keyboard,Touchpad,Battery,CPU,GPU,SSD,HDD,etc and anything else I need before warranty runs out.

LCD/ Touchscreen, i do not think there are software that could tell you those things will fail.
CPU/GPU/HDD/ - HWMONITOR can only tell you the temperature of those parts
BATTERY -  HWMONITOR can tell you the charge capacity & wear level.
SSD/HDD - Crystaldiskinfo can tell you hours of usage & number of boot times.

Any tools to backup a copy of the windows partition or image in case anything goes wrong, I can restore.

Macrium Reflect to clone or store a backup image file.

Download Windows 1909 ISO by using Windows 10 creation tool. View the ISO and copy x64 folder to your desktop & run setup.

mousqy
post Jan 25 2020, 01:08 PM

Enthusiast
758 posts

a HAMMER
PJng
post Jan 25 2020, 01:35 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,534 posts

Even you now testing fine, maybe next week will fail
Skylinestar
post Jan 25 2020, 08:22 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

What's the brand of your laptop?
For Dell, there is a dedicated test page that cycles different colors to test the screen. I'm sure all other laptops have this service / diagnostic page too.
TSCulture P
post Jan 26 2020, 04:24 AM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 25 2020, 01:05 PM)

Any pixel, color bleeding etc testing tools?
TSCulture P
post Jan 26 2020, 04:34 AM

Probation
22 posts

Another question.

If install windows 10 home edition and activate a windows 10 pro license, will the windows 10 home auto become windows 10 pro?

Or if install windows 10 pro edition and activate a windows 10 home license, will the windows 10 pro auto become windows 10 home?
netmatrix
post Jan 26 2020, 12:24 PM

6,491 posts

QUOTE(Culture @ Jan 26 2020, 04:24 AM)
Factory testing tools are not available to end users. Another reason, If you do find fault with such devices, how do you go about repairing it if the final solution is to send it for warranty or parts replacement? The only tools available are color tools. Even then the best tool you can have are physical color calibration tool. But those does not detect dead pixel of light bleed. In fact physical damages are not detectable anymore after production to end user. The user sees the problem and gets it replaced.

QUOTE(Culture @ Jan 26 2020, 04:34 AM)
Another question.

If install windows 10 home edition and activate a windows 10 pro license, will the windows 10 home auto become windows 10 pro?

Once you key in the higher version windows key, windows will download the upgrade version and install over your lesser version. Needs internet access.

Or if install windows 10 pro edition and activate a windows 10 home license, will the windows 10 pro auto become windows 10 home?

You can only go up and not go down.

Home - Pro - Enterprise (Not the other way around)

TSCulture P
post Jan 31 2020, 01:34 PM

Probation
22 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 26 2020, 12:24 PM)
Factory testing tools are not available to end users. Another reason, If you do find fault with such devices, how do you go about repairing it if the final solution is to send it for warranty or parts replacement? The only tools available are color tools. Even then the best tool you can have are physical color calibration tool. But those does not detect dead pixel of light bleed. In fact physical damages are not detectable anymore after production to end user. The user sees the problem and gets it replaced.
There's a limited dead pixel policy warranty time period, so if can detect any problem within period have warranty. So need a good pixel and bleeding testing tool. As for color bleeding not sure about that yet policy.
netmatrix
post Jan 31 2020, 01:53 PM

6,491 posts

QUOTE(Culture @ Jan 31 2020, 01:34 PM)
There's a limited dead pixel policy warranty time period, so if can detect any problem within period have warranty. So need a good pixel and bleeding testing tool. As for color bleeding not sure about that yet policy.
The point is, if you are looking at those tools to test a laptop that you just bought, it would not give you indicator to potential problems.

Factory burn in has already taken place and the product is deemed tested and in working order.

If by any chance you have a defective product in 1 week, 1 year, 2 years or 3 years you just do warranty claim from vendor.

The only useful software are monitoring tools that make use of board sensors. There are no sensors for most laptops. Some has light sensing to adjust brightness just like smartphones. But none of them has any diagnostic capability to tell you brightness has lessened, dead pixel present or even light bleeding. You need external sensors for those. Even if you have those tools, all the complex one route of manufacturing a LCD screen does not permit repairing the panel itself from any problems, even as minor as a dead pixel. You just replace.
Nova_Ghost
post Jan 31 2020, 03:27 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Try http://www.flexcode.org/lcd2.html
I think it need Adobe Flash Player to run...
omg7788
post Feb 6 2020, 12:37 PM

Kampung Style Information Technology
431 posts

QUOTE(Culture @ Jan 25 2020, 02:17 AM)

What brand/model of laptop are you using? If dell they got the preboot diagnostic.
illustriousry
post Feb 8 2020, 05:58 PM

35 posts

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I use this website to test my new monitors. Can check gamma, dead pixels etc etc.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:24 AM