Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Financial Calculators on the web

views

TSmmweric
post Jan 24 2020, 01:46 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
156 posts

I haven't like coded in more than 15 years and only for non-web based apps.

Some questions to you experts out there
1. If I wanted to code a calculator on a webpage such as a house loan or car loan calculator I should be able to do it with HTML and Javascript right?
2. If I sort of like wanted to store the results for use in the future then I would most probably need to pick up some php and MySQL right?

I just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks for any help
TheSolver
post Jan 24 2020, 04:56 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(mmweric @ Jan 24 2020, 01:46 AM)

1.  If I wanted to code a calculator on a webpage such as a house loan or car loan calculator I should be able to do it with HTML and Javascript right?
2.  If I sort of like wanted to store the results for use in the future then I would most probably need to pick up some php and MySQL right?

Thanks for any help
Yes. But for no. 1, you need to add CSS for looks. Depending on your expertise, you can make it as attractive, sophisticated and functional as any webpage you find now anywhere on the planet.
badai
post Feb 7 2020, 12:34 PM

Enthusiast
986 posts

go google for the javascript and copy paste it, and modify according to your needs. if you do programming last 15 years, you can do modify it in 15 mins. just take a look at the javascript you can see the syntax very similar with what you have done before
TSmmweric
post Feb 7 2020, 05:18 PM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(badai @ Feb 7 2020, 12:34 PM)
go google for the javascript and copy paste it, and modify according to your needs. if you do programming last 15 years, you can do modify it in 15 mins. just take a look at the javascript you can see the syntax very similar with what you have done before
thanks for the tip
jackoats.my
post Feb 10 2020, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

Not sure why you want to do this. But I think there should be plenty of online financial calculators out there already. Have you checked out Mint?

On the other hand, if you want to start learning about web development, try W3Schools.

Good luck!

QUOTE(mmweric @ Jan 24 2020, 01:46 AM)

1.  If I wanted to code a calculator on a webpage such as a house loan or car loan calculator I should be able to do it with HTML and Javascript right?
2.  If I sort of like wanted to store the results for use in the future then I would most probably need to pick up some php and MySQL right?

Thanks for any help
TSmmweric
post Feb 11 2020, 02:53 AM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(jackoats.my @ Feb 10 2020, 10:48 PM)
Not sure why you want to do this.  But I think there should be plenty of online financial calculators out there already.  Have you checked out Mint?

On the other hand, if you want to start learning about web development, try W3Schools.

Good luck!
Using it to learn a bit about web development. In the long run I intend to build some more complicated tools for financial modelling but need to learn the basics first. Thanks for the advice on w3schools will have a look at it tomorrow.
angch
post Feb 11 2020, 10:37 AM

On my way
635 posts

You can always store it clientside in the browser via
CODE
Window.localStorage

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/We...Web_Storage_API
jackoats.my
post Feb 15 2020, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

Financial modelling?, you would probably need to learn Python too, as they have the libraries to work with financial data. There are a few books on Python for Finance or something like that, check them out on https://books.google.com

QUOTE(mmweric @ Feb 11 2020, 02:53 AM)
Using it to learn a bit about web development.  In the long run I intend to build some more complicated tools for financial modelling but need to learn the basics first.  Thanks for the advice on w3schools will have a look at it tomorrow.
TSmmweric
post Apr 25 2020, 02:00 AM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Feb 11 2020, 10:37 AM)
You can always store it clientside in the browser via
CODE
Window.localStorage

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/We...Web_Storage_API
Have been doing some reading and picking up a bit here and there seems to be a quite a lot to know.
You're right to build a simple form based calculator took me like 10 mins modifying some javascript and HTML code but
building a complete and secure app with a login and interactive front end is taking me some time as am trying to pick up
html, css, javascript, php and mysql while at the same time figuring out how it all works together to do some things.

Making an interactive UI is still a phase 2 for me. (interactive line charts, sliders, collapsible sections )

Just another question for my phase 2

1. If I want to make sure the the app the app was mobile friendly do I have to pickup something like bootstrap?
I also read something about react don't really understand what it is (as didn't really have time to do much research on it. Is it an alternative to bootstrap
or complements it.

2. Does anyone have experience with interactive line charts any recommendations on what javascript library to use?

Thanks.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 PM