Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA Android box settings for best upscaling to 4K, Leave upscaling to the TV?

views

TStertiary
post Jan 22 2020, 09:34 AM, updated 5y ago

On my way
631 posts

Let's suppose you have a budget Android TV box, such as runs on an S905X3 SOC (ie not high end like Nvidia Shield). Most of the content you watch from the box comes from Kodi or ahem apps, so all 1080p or less. Assuming the TV is pretty good at upscaling, how should you set the HDMI output of the Android box?

1. 2160p @ 60Hz, the native resolution of the 4K TV and hope the Android box will upscale, or the TV will still recognise less-than-2160 content and upscale it anyway?
2. 1080p @ 60Hz, the maximum content quality the Android box is likely to stream, and let the TV do all the upscaling from 1080 to 2160?
3. Any other possibilities?
AVFAN
post Jan 22 2020, 10:52 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Jan 22 2020, 09:34 AM)
Let's suppose you have a budget Android TV box, such as runs on an S905X3 SOC (ie not high end like Nvidia Shield). Most of the content you watch from the box comes from Kodi or ahem apps, so all 1080p or less. Assuming the TV is pretty good at upscaling, how should you set the HDMI output of the Android box?

1. 2160p @ 60Hz, the native resolution of the 4K TV and hope the Android box will upscale, or the TV will still recognise less-than-2160 content and upscale it anyway?
2. 1080p @ 60Hz, the maximum content quality the Android box is likely to stream, and let the TV do all the upscaling from 1080 to 2160?
3. Any other possibilities?
cheap boxes upscaling is typically poor.
better set to 1080p 50hz since most online streams are 25 or 50hz.
u can always try all the combinations, see what is best to yr eyes.
setting to auto is convenient if u move box to diff TV's, AVRs often.

there is also auto frame rate or AFRD - box auto changes framerate 24, 25, 30, 50, 60hz according to the stream.
some cheap boxes have this feature but usually do not work.
that's one more reason to set to 50hz.
TStertiary
post Jan 22 2020, 12:07 PM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 22 2020, 10:52 AM)
cheap boxes upscaling is typically poor.
better set to 1080p 50hz since most online streams are 25 or 50hz.
u can always try all the combinations, see what is best to yr eyes.
setting to auto is convenient if u move box to diff TV's, AVRs often.

there is also auto frame rate or AFRD - box auto changes framerate 24, 25, 30, 50, 60hz according to the stream.
some cheap boxes have this feature but usually do not work.
that's one more reason to set to 50hz.
Thanks smile.gif

I also read that some upscaling can be done by Kodi, so in that case also set Kodi (on the android box) to 1080P @ 50Hz?
AVFAN
post Jan 22 2020, 12:18 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Jan 22 2020, 12:07 PM)
Thanks smile.gif

I also read that some upscaling can be done by Kodi, so in that case also set Kodi (on the android box) to 1080P @ 50Hz?
Kodi is an app.
Go to kodi, settings, system.... u find it fixed at 1080p 60hz.
That will be when u stream or local playback on kodi.
Frame rate... some claim it does auto.... maybe depends on device, hardware n firmware.
Upscale, i doubt it, unless highly customized kodi version.

Keep in mind video n audio quality is the result of many variables... source i.e. file or stream, player app, box device hardware n firmware, avr, tv. One weak link, evwrything is degraded.

In other words, if u want great great video n audio, u gotta spend lotsa money. biggrin.gif
TStertiary
post Jan 23 2020, 09:58 AM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 22 2020, 12:18 PM)
Kodi is an app.
Go to kodi, settings, system.... u find it fixed at 1080p 60hz.
That will be when u stream or local playback on kodi.
Frame rate... some claim it does auto.... maybe depends on device, hardware n firmware.
Upscale, i doubt it, unless highly customized kodi version.

Keep in mind video n audio quality is the result of many variables... source i.e. file or stream, player app, box device hardware n firmware, avr, tv. One weak link, evwrything is degraded.

In other words, if u want great great video n audio, u gotta spend lotsa money. biggrin.gif
Thanks, I'm a Kodi user but not familiar with the fine details of settings. I also found this post by another forum guy:

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry91412021
AVFAN
post Jan 23 2020, 10:08 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Jan 23 2020, 09:58 AM)
Thanks, I'm a Kodi user but not familiar with the fine details of settings. I also found this post by another forum guy:

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...&#entry91412021
that is from a minix box user; minix uses a customized kodi version.

that feature may not work in other boxes, u surely can try.

In general, afrd does not work on cheap boxes, whether in box or kodi settings.

anyway, kodi is only for kodi addons and local playback.

it has nothing to do with other online streams, etc. astrogo, ahem apps - these will follow the settings of the box android.

Kodi matters, u can read, ask users here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3943906/+5660

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jan 23 2020, 10:54 AM
TStertiary
post Jan 23 2020, 11:08 AM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 23 2020, 10:08 AM)

that feature may not work in other boxes, u surely can try.

In general, afrd does not work on cheap boxes, whether in box or kodi settings.

Is there any sure way to discover whether or not afrd is in fact working (like some info screen on the TV showing the source characteristics - menu would vary from model to model, obviously), or is it just a matter of judging the TV picture by eye?
AVFAN
post Jan 23 2020, 11:16 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tertiary @ Jan 23 2020, 11:08 AM)
Is there any sure way to discover whether or not afrd is in fact working (like some info screen on the TV showing the source characteristics - menu would vary from model to model, obviously), or is it just a matter of judging the TV picture by eye?
The tv will tell. Whenever the frame switches, the new data comes on tv for a couple of seconds.
If nothing, then nothing changed.
U can manualy use tv remote to bring on the data to confirm... think all new 4k tvs have this.

Also, say... if a 24hz video is played at 30, 50 or 60hz, u see the frames skipped, not smooth... yr eyes can tell.
It is unpleasant to watch a video with wrong frame rate, esp during fast motion scenes.
For boxes that cant do afrd, the only way is to manually set the correct hz to the each individual vdeo everytime.
TStertiary
post Jan 23 2020, 11:29 AM

On my way
631 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 23 2020, 11:16 AM)
The tv will tell. Whenever the frame switches, the new data comes on tv for a couple of seconds.
If nothing, then nothing changed.
U can manualy use tv remote to bring on the data to confirm... think all new 4k tvs have this.

Also, say... if a 24hz video is played at 30, 50 or 60hz, u see the frames skipped, not smooth... yr eyes can tell.
It is unpleasant to watch a video with wrong frame rate, esp during fast motion scenes.
For boxes that cant do afrd, the only way is to manually set the correct hz to the each individual vdeo everytime.
Really useful info, thanks again.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:38 PM