Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Chinese New Year: Origin of Han Chinese

views

SUSjalsrix
post Jan 20 2020, 01:27 PM, updated 5y ago

Regular
1,927 posts

I found this interesting website to read for Chinese New year. There are lots of interesting article on

Origin of Han Chinese
Origin of Hokkien
Origin of Cantonese
Origin of Hakka.
Origin of Thai

and more....

Ethnic origin

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Jan 20 2020, 01:47 PM
SUSLiamness
post Jan 20 2020, 02:09 PM

Casual
445 posts

There was a documentary of how the chinese migrate to Malaysia.
Basically, our ancestors had the foresight to see that the Han chinese were going to dominate whole of China and other ethnic groups was going to be marginalised..

So they quickly run south to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. That is why Malaysia has alot of Teo Chew, Hakka, Hokkien and Cantonese. But not so much the Hans..

I can't recall the name, but it was very informative. If someone knows of the documentary, please let me know.

This post has been edited by Liamness: Jan 20 2020, 02:11 PM
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 20 2020, 02:22 PM

Regular
1,927 posts

QUOTE(Liamness @ Jan 20 2020, 02:09 PM)

So they quickly run south to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. That is why Malaysia has alot of Teo Chew, Hakka, Hokkien and Cantonese. But not so much the Hans..

I can't recall the name, but it was very informative. If someone knows of the documentary, please let me know.
LOL.

Do you know the definition of Han Chinese? Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew are all subgroups of Han Chinese which in ancient times is called Hua xia which is the same as Hua ren. They are the same people and NOT different people like you misunderstood. laugh.gif

It's just like Germanic people became the English, Dutch, German, Swedish subgroups but they share the same ancestors. nod.gif

SUSLiamness
post Jan 20 2020, 02:37 PM

Casual
445 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Jan 20 2020, 02:22 PM)
LOL.

Do you know the definition of Han Chinese? Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew are all subgroups of Han Chinese which in ancient times is called Hua xia which is the same as Hua ren. They are the same people and NOT different people like you misunderstood.  laugh.gif
It's just like Germanic people became the English, Dutch, German, Swedish subgroups but they share the same ancestors.  nod.gif
ah fair enough..

i meant the chinese that pushed under the Han umbrella & pushed pinyin mandarin as the main language, meanwhile, marginalise all other cultures in China..

Truth is, China is a unified system compromising hundreds if not thousands of different cultures and people.. they have different dialects and some don't even connect.

And this why they won't allow HK or Taiwan to be classified as independent nations.. by doing so, they risk ripping apart the thin fabric of China current.
Taikor.Taikun
post Jan 20 2020, 05:09 PM

Enthusiast
967 posts

QUOTE(Liamness @ Jan 20 2020, 02:37 PM)
ah fair enough..

i meant the chinese that pushed under the Han umbrella & pushed pinyin mandarin  as the main language, meanwhile, marginalise all other cultures in China..

Truth is, China is a unified system compromising hundreds if not thousands of different cultures and people.. they have different dialects and some don't even connect. 

And this why they won't allow HK or Taiwan to be classified as independent nations.. by doing so, they risk ripping apart the thin fabric of China current.
I suppose u mean the Mandarins. We’re all Han people. Many ethnic dialects do not have its own writings n r simply not rich enough for such a big n diverse China. Mandarin was naturally chosen n it benefits all
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 20 2020, 06:22 PM

Regular
1,927 posts

QUOTE(Liamness @ Jan 20 2020, 02:37 PM)
ah fair enough..

i meant the chinese that pushed under the Han umbrella & pushed pinyin mandarin  as the main language, meanwhile, marginalise all other cultures in China..

It's only certain political party that push Mandarin, it's just like Barisan and Pakatan, they are still the same race.

China has always been broken into pieces (Warring states) and then join back again.

When China was joined back, it became very powerful as in Han dynasty, Tang dynasty and Ming dynasty.

Angmoh countries (USA, UK) doesn't want a powerful China, that's why they want China to be broken up into pieces. So stop falling into their propaganda.

Personally, I don't like Mandarin and each Han subgroup should maintain their own Chinese language. Did you read the "Origin of Mandarin" in that blog?

SUSLiamness
post Jan 21 2020, 09:36 AM

Casual
445 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Jan 20 2020, 06:22 PM)
It's only certain political party that push Mandarin, it's just like Barisan and Pakatan, they are still the same race.

China has always been broken into pieces (Warring states) and then join back again.

When China was joined back, it became very powerful as in Han dynasty, Tang dynasty and Ming dynasty.

Angmoh countries (USA, UK) doesn't want a powerful China, that's why they want China to be broken up into pieces. So stop falling into their propaganda.

Personally, I don't like Mandarin and each Han subgroup should maintain their own Chinese language. Did you read the "Origin of Mandarin" in that blog?
how is it propaganda? the fact remains that China is made out of very distinct ethnicities.. dating back thousands of years..

Modern day China prefers to sweep this fact under a carpet and blanket everyone under one umbrella.. meanwhile, suppressing freedom of society..

why? so that key party members of the communist party of china gets to benefit from ruling one of the most powerful country in the world..
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 21 2020, 09:54 AM

Regular
1,927 posts

QUOTE(Liamness @ Jan 21 2020, 09:36 AM)
how is it propaganda? the fact remains that China is made out of very distinct ethnicities.. dating back thousands of years..

Modern day China prefers to sweep this fact under a carpet and blanket everyone under one umbrella.. meanwhile, suppressing freedom of society..

why? so that key party members of the communist party of china gets to benefit from ruling one of the most powerful country in the world..
Nonsense! Apparently you know very little of China's history even after I pointed out that blog for you to study.

Modern day DON'T blanket everyone under one umbrella.

This is an overview so that you can understand better.

China - more than 56 ethnic people, there are some unclassified ethnic groups in China

1. Han Chinese is a single ethnic group - subgroups are Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew, all have same ancestors.

2. Tai-Kadai group - subgroups are Zhuang, Sui, Kam, Hlai, Kra, Bouyei

3. Hmong-Mien group - Hmong, Mien, She

4. Altaic group - Mongol, Manchu, Kazakh, Uighur

5. Tibetan-Burmese group - Qiang, Tibet, Tani, Lolo-Yi, Bai

All these still live under separate ethnicities and NOT one umbrella ethnicity like you claim.

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Jan 21 2020, 09:54 AM
zhou.xingxing
post Jan 21 2020, 03:59 PM

:3
1,691 posts

QUOTE(Liamness @ Jan 20 2020, 02:09 PM)
There was a documentary of how the chinese migrate to Malaysia.
Basically, our ancestors had the foresight to see that the Han chinese were going to dominate whole of China and other ethnic groups was going to be marginalised..

i think its the manchu (the minorities) and the hans (ancestors) left china to seek for a better future as china was in turmoil with famines, warlords after the manchu empire went down... we are from southern china mostly which explains most of us are from guandong...
TiramisuCoffee
post Jan 22 2020, 10:10 AM

Regular
1,199 posts

Sharing a couple of documentaries i found. smile.gif Enjoy!

SUSMPPJ
post Jan 22 2020, 03:59 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Jan 20 2020, 02:22 PM)
LOL.

Do you know the definition of Han Chinese? Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew are all subgroups of Han Chinese which in ancient times is called Hua xia which is the same as Hua ren. They are the same people and NOT different people like you misunderstood.  laugh.gif
It's just like Germanic people became the English, Dutch, German, Swedish subgroups but they share the same ancestors.  nod.gif
Actually we were not Han. We were assimilated into Han during Tang dynasty. That's why we called ourselves "tong yan" or "teng lang".
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 23 2020, 08:32 PM

Regular
1,927 posts

QUOTE(MPPJ @ Jan 22 2020, 03:59 PM)
Actually we were not Han. We were assimilated into Han during Tang dynasty. That's why we called ourselves "tong yan" or "teng lang".
That's not true. We call ourselves 'Wa yan' or 'Hua ren' because that is the original term of Hua Xia people if you look at that blog.

Han refers to Han dynasty.
Tong/Teng refers to Tang dynasty

All these are later dynasties.
KLthinker91
post Jan 24 2020, 02:40 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Jan 21 2020, 09:54 AM)
Nonsense! Apparently you know very little of China's history even after I pointed out that blog for you to study.

Modern day DON'T blanket everyone under one umbrella.

This is an overview so that you can understand better.

China - more than 56 ethnic people, there are some unclassified ethnic groups in China

1. Han Chinese is a single ethnic group - subgroups are Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew, all have same ancestors.

2. Tai-Kadai group - subgroups are Zhuang, Sui, Kam, Hlai, Kra, Bouyei

3. Hmong-Mien group - Hmong, Mien, She

4. Altaic group - Mongol, Manchu, Kazakh, Uighur

5. Tibetan-Burmese group - Qiang, Tibet, Tani, Lolo-Yi, Bai

All these still live under separate ethnicities and NOT one umbrella ethnicity like you claim.
But CCP push them all to learn mandarin and discourage preserving their separate cultural heritage
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 25 2020, 09:20 PM

Regular
1,927 posts

QUOTE(KLthinker91 @ Jan 24 2020, 02:40 PM)
But CCP push them all to learn mandarin and discourage preserving their separate cultural heritage
That is true not only in China and Taiwan but also in Malaysia.

In Malaysia, students are forbidden from speaking non-Mandarin in Chinese schools.

In China, other Chinese dialects are still alive, watch this video below of Guangdong channel. They speak Cantonese, Hakka, Seiyap and Teochew. Even non-Chinese like Yao language is still spoken.

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Jan 25 2020, 09:24 PM
KLthinker91
post Jan 25 2020, 10:16 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(jalsrix @ Jan 25 2020, 09:20 PM)
That is true not only in China and Taiwan but also in Malaysia.

In Malaysia, students are forbidden from speaking Mandarin in Govt schools.

FTFY
SUSjalsrix
post Jan 31 2020, 06:56 PM

Regular
1,927 posts

Today is 7th day of CNY, Hokkien is preparing to celebrate 9th day soon.

You can buy those Pai Tian Kong stuff at Ampang Kau Wong Yeh temple and nearby

This post has been edited by jalsrix: Jan 31 2020, 06:58 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:06 AM