Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Smart TV or Android TV or Android Box?, Which should i choose?

views

TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 08:17 AM, updated 5y ago

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

Im thinking of getting a new TV to replace my spoilt tv.

Should i get a normal TV (not smart, for example just LED TV) and then pair it with an android box like Mi Box S?

Options:

Normal TV + Mi Box S

Smart TV + Mi Box S

Android TV + Mi Box S

Opinions on this matter are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GuyM
post Jan 17 2020, 08:18 AM

Regular
1,767 posts

Normal led 4k TV + FireTV CUBE Gen2 box
SUSeksk
post Jan 17 2020, 08:20 AM

On my way
586 posts

get a 4k tv and android box. the tv should last you some years but the problem is with android updates .. a box is much more flexible and cheaper option.. if slow or no update u can just update the box and not the whole package..
Zot
post Jan 17 2020, 08:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

When I looked for TV last time, I can't find the one that I like that is not smart TV. So, I just bought one. Actually I was looking for just TV too. On my second thought; well, if I have smart TV, I can just switch on TV without bothering about the android box HTPC or whatever external unit. I can find one box later for more feature.

Having external one is good since the built-in one in the TV will be outdated fast. They probably update GUI and put more function. Later the unit become low on RAM/ROM and performance become sluggish. Most likely after 2 years no more upgrade and no more being bothered since new TV models come out each year nowadays smile.gif

Any external box is the best choice. Can easily replaced since they are outdated fast too. For longer stability and more flexibility, I'd go for a small PC like NUC and I'm still looking for one after a year. Waiting for better one or price going down, but every time you see new model with better feature and new price and keep waiting and waiting laugh.gif Anyway, I'm in no rush because my TV is already smart TV wink.gif

Yes, buy separate external box
TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 08:48 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 17 2020, 08:30 AM)
When I looked for TV last time, I can't find the one that I like that is not smart TV. So, I just bought one. Actually I was looking for just TV too. On my second thought; well, if I have smart TV, I can just switch on TV without bothering about the android box HTPC or whatever external unit. I can find one box later for more feature.

Having external one is good since the built-in one in the TV will be outdated fast. They probably update GUI and put more function. Later the unit become low on RAM/ROM and performance become sluggish. Most likely after 2 years no more upgrade and no more being bothered since new TV models come out each year nowadays  smile.gif

Any external box is the best choice. Can easily replaced since they are outdated fast too. For longer stability and more flexibility, I'd go for a small PC like NUC and I'm still looking for one after a year. Waiting for better one or price going down, but every time you see new model with better feature and new price and keep waiting and waiting  laugh.gif  Anyway, I'm in no rush because my TV is already smart TV  wink.gif

Yes, buy separate external box
yeah, from my options, im buying the separate box, the issue is the TV.

So ur suggestion on the tv is?
TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 08:50 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(GuyM @ Jan 17 2020, 08:18 AM)
Normal led 4k TV + FireTV CUBE Gen2 box
QUOTE(eksk @ Jan 17 2020, 08:20 AM)
get a 4k tv and android box.  the tv should last you some years but the problem is with android updates .. a box is much more flexible and cheaper option.. if slow or no update u can just update the box and not the whole package..
thanks guys.

for the FireTV CUBE, do u know where i can get with a good price?
Zot
post Jan 17 2020, 08:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Jan 17 2020, 08:48 AM)
yeah, from my options, im buying the separate box, the issue is the TV.

So ur suggestion on the tv is?
Just buy the TV you like within your budget. If the one you like is a smart TV, just don't bother about price difference. That was what I did smile.gif
TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 09:01 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 17 2020, 08:53 AM)
Just buy the TV you like within your budget. If the one you like is a smart TV, just don't bother about price difference. That was what I did  smile.gif
thanks for the info.

budget ok, but if i can save and use it for something else, why not?

for example the difference in price of the smart tv vs 4Ktv, i can use that money to get a better android box.

for example, instead of getting a Mi Box S, i can get a FireTV Cube.

AVFAN
post Jan 17 2020, 09:10 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Jan 17 2020, 09:01 AM)
thanks for the info.

budget ok, but if i can save and use it for something else, why not?
for example the difference in price of the smart tv vs 4Ktv, i can use that money to get a better android box.

for example, instead of getting a Mi Box S, i can get a FireTV Cube.
keep in mind 2 things:

1.. priority is for the TV's hardware, picture/audio quality becos the tv is more expensive and should last u >5 years.
the trouble is the best tv for those aspects are typically very "smart" or AndroidTV (ATV).
u won't find a low cost "dumb" tv that is great with picture/audio quality - that's the way TV makers work.

2.. if u r decided on a box, the next thing u need to decide is whether it is regular android or AndroidTV os.
there are some differences... some people prefer one to the other, depends on what u do with it and want u require/not require.
if u pick an ATV tv, u do not want an ATV box too since u will have both of the same... better pick a regular android box then.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jan 17 2020, 09:44 AM
TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 09:44 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 17 2020, 09:10 AM)
keep in mind 2 things:

1.. priority is for the TV's hardware, picture/audio quality becos the tv is more expensive and should last u >5 years.
the trouble is the best tv for those aspects are typically "smart" or very smart or AndroidTV (ATV).
u won't find a low cost "dumb" tv that is great with picture/audio quality - that's the way TV makers work.

2.. if u r decided on a box, the next thing u need to decide is whether it is regular android or AndroidTV os.
there are some differences... some people prefer one to the other, depends on what u do with it and want u require/not require.
if u pick an ATV box, u do not want a TV with ATV too since u will have both of the same... better pick a regular android box then.
thanks for the pointers.

Can you tell me some good examples of Android box?
and some examples of Android TV box?

correct me if im wrong, Mi Box S is Android TV box right?

What about FireTV Cube?

Maybe i would try to get the best audio visual quality tv plus a box.

if the tv is a "smart" type, then maybe i just get a smart tv (not androidTV) plus androidTv box.

AVFAN
post Jan 17 2020, 09:57 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Jan 17 2020, 09:44 AM)
thanks for the pointers.

Can you tell me some good examples of Android box?
and some examples of Android TV box?

correct me if im wrong, Mi Box S is Android TV box right?

What about FireTV Cube?
Maybe i would try to get the best audio visual quality tv plus a box.

if the tv is a "smart" type, then maybe i just get a smart tv (not androidTV) plus androidTv box.
u should get a 4k hdr tv that is smart enough at least to have built in Netflix HD4k and youtube 4k. - these 2 are essential.
most new Tv's today have them, that is easy. ATV tv's will surely have them too, plus other ATV capabilities.
just avoid buy a cheap dumb tv that has nothing more than a browser - these are typically poorer built Tvs.

boxes... been discussed in LYN for almost 10 years now... lots of threads and posts.
the thing is this box thing changes very quickly... android4 to android10 within 8 years.
and hundreds of boxes, some regular android, some ATV.

mibox s is ATV, so is shieldtv, sony and sharp ATV tv's.
fire cube runs on own fire os.
all others run on regular android, currently at android9 for most.

there are individual threads for each brand or box.... u can search/read/ask... e.g.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4513032/+680
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3561305/+3960
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4722095/+980
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4867893/+20

which box suits u best depends on what u want to do with it.
not all boxes are built the same... some are better that this but not so good for that, etc.
online streaming, playback, video, audio, ethernet, wifi, networking, nas...

slaveone
post Jan 17 2020, 10:01 AM

Regular
1,180 posts

thing is, normal 4k tvs have poorer picture quality cos they are lower specs.

if you just wanna use for netflix, youtube and amazon prime, a smart tv would be fine. can play h.265 encoded file as well.

getting a android box only if you want to do more like using kodi and such.
metaloid
post Jan 17 2020, 10:02 AM

konpeko~
1,972 posts

Tumpang. Which Android box is able to run Astro GO app?
AVFAN
post Jan 17 2020, 10:06 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(metaloid @ Jan 17 2020, 10:02 AM)
Tumpang. Which Android box is able to run Astro GO app?
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4405774/+1220
katz79
post Jan 17 2020, 10:11 AM

Getting Started
99 posts

And u need search the refresh rate also. I got toshiba atv running 4k at 30hz and Sharp 630x running 4k at 60hz eventough the Sharp is way older than the Toshiba. Depends on your preference smile.gif My recommend go for Sharp 6800x if u have the budget. I got both ATV now and still I use Nvidia Shield for ease of mind tongue.gif

rootbeer
post Jan 17 2020, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
210 posts

get smart tv(android), pair with whatever andoid box u want..

reason is smart tv give 4k youtube, and load app faster...

android box dont have 4k app most of it(cos need license) but can run illegal movie app
TSquebix
post Jan 17 2020, 11:57 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(katz79 @ Jan 17 2020, 10:11 AM)
And u need search the refresh rate also. I got toshiba atv running 4k at 30hz and Sharp 630x running 4k at 60hz eventough the Sharp is way older than the Toshiba. Depends on your preference  smile.gif My recommend go for Sharp 6800x if u have the budget. I got both ATV now and still I use Nvidia Shield for ease of mind  tongue.gif
You orang kaya, can la.

Get the top specs saja. Haha

I need to think about budget
juzmafia
post Jan 17 2020, 01:22 PM

On my way
562 posts

If ur requirements are more focus on legit streaming app availability/capabilities for both in/out MY than other features/usage then get a TV with best PQ which is within ur budget and separate media box which has the most legit streaming app collection.

This post has been edited by juzmafia: Jan 17 2020, 01:23 PM
katz79
post Jan 17 2020, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Jan 17 2020, 11:57 AM)
You orang kaya, can la.

Get the top specs saja. Haha

I need to think about budget
No la on the shield also get the cheapest i can get on shopee also below 1k. The tv model I got is not top model but comes from old stock on a good price. The sharp 630x(no hdr) I think about 2013 model while the toshiba also only 49 inch and not a flagship model but currently broken now due to horizontal line. Waiting for replacement part cry.gif
kakamal
post Jan 23 2020, 04:42 PM

Getting Started
105 posts

Such an interesting discussion here. Well forgive me if I sound stupid but why on earth do we need another android box to pair with Android TV?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:12 PM