Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Next career step for me?, advice needed

views

TSinfiniti123
post Jan 15 2020, 03:59 PM, updated 5y ago

On my way
558 posts

Hello guys, just a brief intro, 26 Years old this year. working in a very specific sales and marketing for a chemical production company
Salary wise, i'm hitting 15k Basic (before deduction) + 5k housing allowance due to outstation.

However the job is so stagnant and mundane. doing same thing everyday, running to same place everyday, just selling product + repeating same pitch to different customers. is this the reality for the next 30 years? no doubt i'm getting paid a lot and that's the only thing getting me motivated.

monday to friday passes so fast because everyday is the same. but knowing outside i wont be able to get this salary at all.

i see some of my friends working in MNC, big 4, they have so many networking events, meeting interesting people etc. are those experience worth it to take a drastic dip in income?

much appreciated.
darkmusses
post Jan 15 2020, 04:13 PM

On my way
565 posts

It depends on individual actually.

If your motivation is money, it is a good pay to start off with because TBH not many had that kind of income. However like what you mentioned, satisfaction may not be there.

On the other hand, there maybe job satisfaction such as networking, meeting new peoples and what not with lower income which you may need to sacrifice.

In the end, it all depend on what you want to achieve. There is a Chinese proverb saying that "There is no 2 holes in a needle" . . something like that
InitialB
post Jan 15 2020, 04:14 PM

On my way
670 posts

You have a very good income. I suggest you stay.
To by pass time, weekend you can go spend your money
PrincZe
post Jan 15 2020, 07:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,050 posts

QUOTE(infiniti123 @ Jan 15 2020, 03:59 PM)
Hello guys, just a brief intro, 26 Years old this year. working in a very specific sales and marketing for a chemical production company
Salary wise, i'm hitting 15k Basic (before deduction) + 5k housing allowance due to outstation.

However the job is so stagnant and mundane. doing same thing everyday, running to same place everyday, just selling product + repeating same pitch to different customers. is this the reality for the next 30 years? no doubt i'm getting paid a lot and that's the only thing getting me motivated.

monday to friday passes so fast because everyday is the same. but knowing outside i wont be able to get this salary at all.

i see some of my friends working in MNC, big 4, they have so many networking events, meeting interesting people etc. are those experience worth it to take a drastic dip in income?

much appreciated.
Isn't passing time good? If it's mundane and boring, u will feel time pass slow.
And very well done on the salary. I suggest to stay and start to invest / diversify so your life will be secure. Then u want do what alos can. Network, travel etc. Its never too late
flying_manatee
post Jan 15 2020, 10:35 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

Does this job have good career progression or not? As in you can move up to lead a sales team, or you learn more professional knowledge etc?
k town shit
post Jan 15 2020, 10:39 PM

Enthusiast
757 posts

QUOTE(infiniti123 @ Jan 15 2020, 02:59 PM)

much appreciated.
why don't invest and run a start up since u have so much money?
ViktorJ
post Jan 15 2020, 10:46 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

Apart from changing your job, you can try something else.

You can actually attend networking events outside of your job.

I assume you are out of Klang Valley, but when you are in town, do consider attending those entrepreneurial pitch meetings, or any other segments you are interested in. Since you have a decent salary and your accommodations are settled for you, could try attending as an angel investor.

There you get to meet them all: bright eyed innovators, experienced businessmen, con AND pickup artists, and just generally interesting people.

Granted you still have to do your job on a daily basis this way, but at least you do not have to give up your salary.
taiko ayam P
post Jan 16 2020, 12:50 PM

Probation
8 posts

suggest to maximise your weekends first before deciding the next course of action. because if your weekend is pretty dead, wherever u go it's gonna be the same. get it?
fun_feng
post Jan 16 2020, 01:57 PM

One Cat to Rule Them ALL
2,289 posts

Youre working in sales right??
What specific career progression u have in mind??

Why dont u ask for training instead and enrich yourself...

Thousands will die to have your job
bristlebb
post Jan 17 2020, 11:07 AM

On my way
546 posts

earning 15k at 26 yo is very impressive.

you may try go into MNC to experience the job yourself, no harm to try since you are young. you can always go back to your current job.

This post has been edited by bristlebb: Jan 17 2020, 11:07 AM
sweet_pez
post Jan 24 2020, 11:11 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

much appreciated.
I see that you're starting to feel current job too routine-ish.

Rather than copy & paste the whole thing, here's what i'd like to share for you to reflect/ think about:-

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=95119412
dreamers1016
post Jan 24 2020, 11:14 AM

Getting Started
244 posts

much appreciated.
If I were you, I will use that extra money to venture into properties, investments and setup own businesses such as badminton courts to get your mind off the mundane and boring things you're facing in your work

kdr93
post Jan 25 2020, 03:56 PM

On my way
534 posts

Hi, would you mind pming details about your work (company etc)? Are there any openings ?

Apologies if this comes across as being crude, just trying my best to better myself .

Any leads or guidance is greatly appreciated.
SUSrenomahans
post Jan 26 2020, 12:19 PM

On my way
523 posts

At 26 for 15k
I don’t mind the boredom
Heck I would take a month break a year
To go vacation to some exciting place like Mount Kilimanjaro
babygrand123
post Jan 29 2020, 10:54 PM

On my way
662 posts

much appreciated.
Bro your company hiring now ? Thanks in advanced
boelat
post Feb 12 2020, 11:24 AM

23 posts

much appreciated.
I suggest you do side project. Dont venture again into the workforce. Find a passion / niche.
I can help you if you want as I am jobless in next few month laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:10 AM