Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Confused Career Path

views

TSPrincess_Alicia
post Jan 14 2020, 11:26 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
98 posts

Hi all, first of all I wish to introduce myself as a 32yrs old lady working in building industry. I’ve been working for this local ‘Chinaman’ company for almost 3yrs. The pay is decent for single lady like me, but more importantly I love the freedom given in this company, in term of punctuality, working hours, annual leave, etc.

I’m the focus of the company owing to my dedication, passion, and perfectionism to my job. I was given the chance to lead the team to venture different type and scale of project. Until recently, the company finance is badly affected by the economy downturn. We losing many job opportunity. I’ve in my capability try to lead the company into a different direction; a more dynamic, modern and young approach. However, the high management doesn’t feel comfortable with my move as they see it as a breaking of company norm or culture. They tell me indirectly that my orientation doesn’t reflect the company image. They then change the direction back to the ‘old school’ way and we are stuck in the stagnant stage.

Because of this, I’ve been greatly demotivated. Feeling like I’m confused with no clear direction. I’ve always remind myself to be happy because no matter how much effort I put in, the company is not mine; when time come, I’ve to let go.
nate_nightroad
post Jan 14 2020, 11:45 PM

Endless numbered days...
3,537 posts

my suggestion would be to ask the high management to setup a subsidiary for you to manage, and u can do all you want to the company, direction, staff, culture, etc etc

This post has been edited by nate_nightroad: Jan 14 2020, 11:46 PM
Fzeo
post Jan 14 2020, 11:49 PM

Casual
451 posts

find a new company. settle.

see the old company going down from far far.
cockerish
post Jan 14 2020, 11:53 PM

12k SP@M Club
All Stars
13,619 posts

I think there is a chain of command. You can't just move them in a direction that is not in Thier vision for the year.

Organizations have vision and guiding pillars every year depending on what teams like risk management and the industry has feedback. They prepare themselves for the worst.

Sometime planning works..sometime it does not. Here comes you, a young ciku 32 year old trying to move them into a direction....where u have not gotten endorsement or buy in from the company.

So I suggest u reassess, convince and get the support....else you will be seen as the very toxic element. Who cares if you work 1 year or 10 years you are just an employee

In all honesty...Ive been there..and done that....and have failed...simply because I was moving a 20 man team...alone..all by myself..without the support....but they saw what I was doing and decided...to promote me to a dept that I manage on my own...that was a cost center....now is a profit center....but in all honesty, If the company don't support you, you either die of heart attack or just continue to be demotivated and depress.
Zaire.Ver
post Jan 14 2020, 11:56 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Hi all, first of all I wish to introduce myself as a 32yrs old lady working in building industry. I’ve been working for this local ‘Chinaman’ company for almost 3yrs. The pay is decent for single lady like me, but more importantly I love the freedom given in this company, in term of punctuality, working hours, annual leave, etc.

I’m the focus of the company owing to my dedication, passion, and perfectionism to my job. I was given the chance to lead the team to venture different type and scale of project.

above part is so like me, had fair share of dissagrements and challenges, nevertheless im happy
but guess what i grew tired of this same office and i quit
if u r not happy for whatever reason, just leave, plenty of new exciting unexplored workplace/oppurtunities out there

This post has been edited by Zaire.Ver: Jan 14 2020, 11:56 PM
SUSNew Klang
post Jan 15 2020, 12:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 14 2020, 11:26 PM)

I’m the focus of the company owing to my dedication, passion, and perfectionism to my job. I was given the chance to lead the team to venture different type and scale of project. Until recently, the company finance is badly affected by the economy downturn. We losing many job opportunity. I’ve in my capability try to lead the company into a different direction; a more dynamic, modern and young approach. However, the high management doesn’t feel comfortable with my move as they see it as a breaking of company norm or culture. They tell me indirectly that my orientation doesn’t reflect the company image. They then change the direction back to the ‘old school’ way and we are stuck in the stagnant stage.

Because of this, I’ve been greatly demotivated. Feeling like I’m confused with no clear direction. I’ve always remind myself to be happy because no matter how much effort I put in, the company is not mine; when time come, I’ve to let go.
It seems you grow faster than your company and you think you are ready to prove yourself to reshape your company. You need to do a lot of persuasion that is backed by facts and figures before you can change other's mind. Learn why your previous proposals did not gain traction. Try again and again.
TSPrincess_Alicia
post Jan 15 2020, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
98 posts

Thanks for all the concern and suggestion given. To get the image clearer, we are in a building development industry. The market buying power is weak owing to whatever political misdirection or economy downturn. But many are actually cash rich in their account. They are willingly to spend the money if given a fresh new concept, a brand new product that trigger their interest. But to do this, I think someone has to make the very first move, so I suggested to the company to try something new; ofcourse no success proven yet but I have the confidence it will fruit. However, my management are mostly old age generation that cannot accept new things. They always give me excuse like ‘Normally people don’t do this’, ‘This is not our company culture’, etc. I mean if you keep to do the normal way, you don’t excel, you can only make just enough to survive.

Bear in mind my company is not paying any bonus nor incentive. I’m good with that like I say I’m still single, but pity those who have to raise their family. Therefore I don’t think the company should remain play safe.
seventwo
post Jan 15 2020, 11:51 AM

Enthusiast
722 posts

You re confused with your career path or your company direction?
Based on what you shared, I can see, you have your own style while doing your task, but unfortunately, your management don't like it.
Because you already feel greatly demotivated, I believe that you need to think about what you like to do, as the company is not able to give you the freedom to do it the way you want it to.

salary is the second thing, the main thing, you are happy with your work.
Syie9^_^
post Jan 15 2020, 11:58 AM

Catwoman
1,027 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 15 2020, 12:56 AM)

You are better off without them. Why need old car when you can have flying car?

Are you able to "siphon" their clientel out? If you able to built a strong link with someone within; or outside the AEC industry; move on.

After all; nothing is constant in AEC.

IF they want to work like 1980s; wait for the big tsunami; they are gone.

Show us your portfolio of your work smile.gif

You may get better as consultant team etc than being under "realm" of such.

TSPrincess_Alicia
post Jan 15 2020, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

QUOTE(seventwo @ Jan 15 2020, 11:51 AM)
You re confused with your career path or your company direction?
Based on what you shared, I can see, you have your own style while doing your task, but unfortunately, your management don't like it.
Because you already feel greatly demotivated, I believe that you need to think about what you like to do, as the company is not able to give you the freedom to do it the way you want it to.

salary is the second thing, the main thing, you are happy with your work.
Haha, confused by the company direction that ended up questioning my choice of career. I used to think I’m making good in this industry backed with my great dedication and a little of talent. But when your efforts hit a blank wall; a blank wall that stop you for no constructive reason, then the dilemma came to question all the previous effort. I’ve think about switching company or even industry, but that will cost me some times to climb up to the stage where I’m right now. Some has suggested me to just follow the flow because at my age and with my liabilities, it is not worth the risk.
Syie9^_^
post Jan 15 2020, 10:09 PM

Catwoman
1,027 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 15 2020, 02:08 PM)
Haha, confused by the company direction that ended up questioning my choice of career. I used to think I’m making good in this industry backed with my great dedication and a little of talent. But when your efforts hit a blank wall; a blank wall that stop you for no constructive reason, then the dilemma came to question all the previous effort. I’ve think about switching company or even industry, but that will cost me some times to climb up to the stage where I’m right now. Some has suggested me to just follow the flow because at my age and with my liabilities, it is not worth the risk.
if you dont take risk now then when? 40? 50? 60? By that time you will regret harder and ask why didnt I do it?more complexity involve.

then it will be harder.

switch company; or try the interested industry.

hft
post Jan 15 2020, 10:10 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 14 2020, 11:26 PM)

Yeah in all salary matters. It's all about to keep salary within low range.
Syie9^_^
post Jan 15 2020, 10:16 PM

Catwoman
1,027 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 15 2020, 10:01 AM)
Thanks for all the concern and suggestion given. To get the image clearer, we are in a building development industry. The market buying power is weak owing to whatever political misdirection or economy downturn. But many are actually cash rich in their account. They are willingly to spend the money if given a fresh new concept, a brand new product that trigger their interest. But to do this, I think someone has to make the very first move, so I suggested to the company to try something new; ofcourse no success proven yet but I have the confidence it will fruit. However, my management are mostly old age generation that cannot accept new things. They always give me excuse like ‘Normally people don’t do this’, ‘This is not our company culture’, etc. I mean if you keep to do the normal way, you don’t excel, you can only make just enough to survive.

Bear in mind my company is not paying any bonus nor incentive. I’m good with that like I say I’m still single, but pity those who have to raise their family. Therefore I don’t think the company should remain play safe.
1. You are not a risk taker.
2. You work well with things that are normal; and you only dare to question the status quo BUT not dare to challenge the overall game play.
3. The problem with AEC(Developers) are they focus much on profit; fast and what the trend is.
4. Trend setter is hard in Malaysia; unless you have big backer and baller to take the risk.

Summary;

1. You want to play next level; You got to find people who have that capacity as you are.
2. Can you organize a team yourself?
3. Old is hard to change; and they RELUCTANTLY to adopt new innovation; mindset are like Japan industry. Cash rich but nothing changed.

SP Setia story similar to yours; You either meet the right people or you scalp around for better opportunity. Back before SP setia; there aint any developers like them; once they got their footing right; eventually it snowballs to what eventually govt interest to take in their company.

So Pick your Choice.

You have to be better at risk/ reward if you want to beat the game.

Malaysia AEC industry is a shithole; Poor regulations; substandards quality and workmanship etc..list goes on. So much backlog and want to be that but lack of real value; sometime you wish there`s someone come and reset it.

This post has been edited by Syie9^_^: Jan 15 2020, 10:20 PM
sweet_pez
post Jan 16 2020, 07:41 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 15 2020, 08:31 AM)

QUOTE(Princess_Alicia @ Jan 15 2020, 12:38 PM)
Hmmm I don't know. Sometimes what you think is best for the company, may not be aligned with what others think. It could be based on their expertise, experience etc. As you pointed out - you have less commitments than them and have almost nothing to lose in trying something new out but it's different for the old timers - they're not a big risk taker.

So either you find another way to convince them ie propose something that's on a smaller scale with less risk, or follow majority in maintaining the status quo. No doubt if you thought of a good idea you'll have the first mover's advantage but this is also a risk the company has to bear. If things doesn't work out, what will be the contingency plan? Can the company cope with it? What are the potential problems and how you're going to minimize or mitigate it? Perhaps a thoroughly plan to share with them can put their mind at ease especially when it involves industry where you're easily affected by external factors.
SUSAngelic Layer
post Feb 14 2020, 12:11 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

You cannot force what is not there, since you said property/building development, there simply no market at the moment.
I don't think it was the cash that the cash rich is conservative, but how can someone trusted your concept without any proof, since it wasn't something cheap.

That enough to say Panahome is a company with vision, technology, talent, they even have proof of concept by building concept house you can visit, but they are still struggling with sales.
The market isn't there and you can't squeeze water out of a stone, I can see why people aren't willing to spend more on project when income isn't coming in.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:29 PM