Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Drained car battery overnight., Will battery life be affected?

views

TSJabraan
post Jan 14 2020, 05:30 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi guys, my car is about 5 months old(proton persona 2019). I accidentally left the lights on the whole night while i went for my shift(total about 16 hours) and when I came back to it in the morning it was completely dead. So i called up proton and they arranged for a guy to jump start the car for me, to which he did and it failed to start the engine(radio and other electronics went back on though just x cukup to start the engine). So had to tow the car to proton, they slow charged it till full and now it's running like normal.

My question is, will this affect the battery's lifespan? If so, being it's the first time and it's a 5-month old battery, how bad is the damage i'm looking at? Any long term issues i should anticipate? maaf newb question

This post has been edited by Jabraan: Jan 14 2020, 05:31 PM
kurangak
post Jan 14 2020, 05:31 PM

certified /k addict
1,154 posts

Once? Not really. Many times? Yes. Go to battery shop to get ur battery charged up
Zot
post Jan 14 2020, 05:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

Will not affect battery. Even if it did, will not shortened the life of the battery by a day laugh.gif
ifourtos
post Jan 14 2020, 05:37 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

it just a rm200 worth item
COOLPINK
post Jan 14 2020, 05:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

still will last 2 years, dun worry.

Zot
post Jan 14 2020, 05:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ifourtos @ Jan 14 2020, 05:37 PM)
it just a rm200 worth item
Still most people too concern on battery life. Need 4 years at least. They have to pay insurance more than that each year laugh.gif
MeToo
post Jan 14 2020, 05:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,297 posts

QUOTE(Jabraan @ Jan 14 2020, 05:30 PM)
Hi guys, my car is about 5 months old(proton persona 2019). I accidentally left the lights on the whole night while i went for my shift(total about 16 hours) and when I came back to it in the morning it was completely dead. So i called up proton and they arranged for a guy to jump start the car for me, to which he did and it failed to start the engine(radio and other electronics went back on though just x cukup to start the engine). So had to tow the car to proton, they slow charged it till full and now it's running like normal.

My question is, will this affect the battery's lifespan? If so, being it's the first time and it's a 5-month old battery, how bad is the damage i'm looking at? Any long term issues i should anticipate? maaf newb question
next time dun need so susah can or not?

Take the batt, go to the nearest workshop, they charge it for you for RM5... settled...
MR_alien
post Jan 14 2020, 07:51 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,300 posts

a battery's lifespan is measured by years
discharged it to empty for once or a few times won't affect it

plus, battery these days(if MF) lasted like 2 years only anyway
fireballs
post Jan 15 2020, 12:54 AM

5,627 posts

Yes life reduced. Don't repeat the same mistake.
unitron
post Jan 15 2020, 09:08 AM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

QUOTE(Jabraan @ Jan 14 2020, 05:30 PM)

Technically sure got some affect.. but hopefully after fully charging you recover most of it.
If still under warranty, then just claim new battery if it dies.
jhjk
post Jan 15 2020, 09:35 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

Lead acid battery are not meant to discharge till 0. It's likely partially damage so don't expect it to last more than 2 years.

Please get those voltage meter display, every morning before start your engine; make sure it doesn't goes below 12.2V. Once below then faster change it.

For current measure, do use a lead acid charger and charge overnight. At least you can save some money for not changing your batt for another 1+ years.
abubin
post Jan 15 2020, 12:23 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(jhjk @ Jan 15 2020, 09:35 AM)
Lead acid battery are not meant to discharge till 0. It's likely partially damage so don't expect it to last more than 2 years.

Please get those voltage meter display, every morning before start your engine; make sure it doesn't goes below 12.2V. Once below then faster change it.

For current measure, do use a lead acid charger and charge overnight. At least you can save some money for not changing your batt for another 1+ years.
12.2V is a bit too high to justify changing battery. Perhaps 12.0V is better. Lots of batteries can fall below 12V easily especially if you don't drive the car for a few days. My battery is at 11.8V during cold start for like 6 month already and it is still working fine. Plus, the health of a battery is not measured by only voltage. You also need to consider the CCA (cold crank amp). This CCA is important for starting the car. If you have 12.5V but your CCA is below spec then you cannot start your car. Unfortunately we need special equipment to measure CCA. So just use your car until the battery showing symptoms during startup. And yes...getting those usb charger that shows voltage is a good idea.
jhjk
post Jan 15 2020, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 15 2020, 12:23 PM)
12.2V is a bit too high to justify changing battery. Perhaps 12.0V is better. Lots of batteries can fall below 12V easily especially if you don't drive the car for a few days. My battery is at 11.8V during cold start for like 6 month already and it is still working fine. Plus, the health of a battery is not measured by only voltage. You also need to consider the CCA (cold crank amp). This CCA is important for starting the car. If you have 12.5V but your CCA is below spec then you cannot start your car. Unfortunately we need special equipment to measure CCA. So just use your car until the battery showing symptoms during startup. And yes...getting those usb charger that shows voltage is a good idea.
The battery experienced over drain, it may not have the lifespan as yours. tongue.gif
Battery tested with CCA is more accurate but continue use can reduce battery life, one month test once is ok. It will show battery lifespan in percentage.

I don't recommend tester because it's least use and having it's downside. Whereas voltage monitor and charger combination already achieve good result with the upside of prolong battery life.

My battery already 4 years 9 months and still maintain 12.6V. My USB charger will display 12.3V before start engine, that piece of junk is reporting 0.3V lower than actual of 12.6V. CCA maybe lower as what you mention but I have supercap to temporary fix it. So not sure is TS able to digest so much technical info or not.

This post has been edited by jhjk: Jan 15 2020, 01:18 PM
abubin
post Jan 15 2020, 05:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(jhjk @ Jan 15 2020, 01:17 PM)
The battery experienced over drain, it may not have the lifespan as yours. tongue.gif
Battery tested with CCA is more accurate but continue use can reduce battery life, one month test once is ok. It will show battery lifespan in percentage.

I don't recommend tester because it's least use and having it's downside. Whereas voltage monitor and charger combination already achieve good result with the upside of prolong battery life.

My battery already 4 years 9 months and still maintain 12.6V. My USB charger will display 12.3V before start engine, that piece of junk is reporting 0.3V lower than actual of 12.6V. CCA maybe lower as what you mention but I have supercap to temporary fix it. So not sure is TS able to digest so much technical info or not.
Mind sharing on your supercapacitor setup? I am interested to build something this also.
jhjk
post Jan 16 2020, 11:49 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 15 2020, 05:06 PM)
Mind sharing on your supercapacitor setup? I am interested to build something this also.
Got 6 of them and connect in series. Buy from Taobao, price as good as a new battery.
Tied the cap to my car battery.

user posted image
abubin
post Jan 16 2020, 01:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

You didn't install any BMS? So that caps will be properly regulated.
WinterAngeLs
post Jan 17 2020, 11:31 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

Is it a good idea to get a spare battery at home? So can jump start whenever battery flat.
I know new battery if kept unused will deteriorate but not sure by how much.
zeng
post Jan 17 2020, 12:49 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(WinterAngeLs @ Jan 17 2020, 11:31 AM)
Is it a good idea to get a spare battery at home? So can jump start whenever battery flat.
What for ,when having a jumper cable set will do ?
abubin
post Jan 17 2020, 01:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(WinterAngeLs @ Jan 17 2020, 11:31 AM)
Get powerbank that can jumpstart instead. At least you can use the powerbank to charge phone when you don't need to jumpstart cars.
voscar
post Jan 17 2020, 10:21 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

Just to share jump start won't always work... And if can better measure the battery voltage before attempting jump start. Like my recent case the faulty battery was 21V so that explain prior that when we tried jump start method the meter cluster not even displaying when turn to ignition on. Luckily the battery does not explode during the jump start attempt!

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.91    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:22 PM