Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> UGREEN Premium 7-in-1 USB-C Hub, USB-C Multifunctional Adapter (Review)

views

TSvoncrane
post Jan 9 2020, 02:21 AM, updated 2y ago

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Hi all and welcome once again to another real world usage review. This time I'll be reviewing the Premium 7-in-1 USB-C Hub from Ugreen. Such hubs and adapters are proving quite handy these days. Nay, they are proving indispensable. With "older" devices, majority of us had to plug in one device at a time per adapter. Meaning if you needed an extra USB or VGA or HDMI or Ethernet ports, etc. One typically had to choose to only use one at a time, depending on how your notebook is specced. Gradually it appears that the days of modern notebooks built with sometime every port imaginable are being phased out. At the very least, this is true for the more premium models being released in the past years (around 2015+) and the ones to come. Examples includes Google Chromebook Pixel 2015, Asus ZenBook 3, the latest MacBook Pro with ships with up to Four separate Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for Charging, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps) & USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps). Most notebooks even ship with just a single port. Such as the soon-to-be released notebook, the Samsung Galaxy Book S. The use case scenarios doesn't end at just notebooks either. Several mobile phones sporting a USB C port are supported too. So investing in a decent and reliable hub/adapter is crucial. Doesn't matter if you are a basic or power user.

Attached Image Attached Image

Specifications
Input: USB-C (Male)
Output:
*1X HDMI port:supports resolutions up to 4Kx2K@30Hz
*2X USB A ports, compliant with USB 3.0 specifications with transfer rates up to 5Gbps, and backwards compatible with USB 2.0/1.1
*1X 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ethernet Port (Basically Gigabit)
*1X USB-C Power port with PD protocol
*1X Microd SD (TF) slot: Support UHS-I (Micro SD, Micro SDHC, Micro SDXC)
*1X SD/MMC card slot: Support UHS-I (SD, SDXC, SDHC, Extreme I III SD, Ultra II SD, MMC, RS-MMC)
*Dimensions: 105x51x18 (LxWxH)mm, Cable length: 15cm
*Wattage: Max 100W
*Weight: 99g
*Color: Space Gray

Box & Actual Hardware
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Screenshots
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The screenshots above show that Samsung DeX is supported as well as typical OTG purposes on non-DeX capable devices. I tested using a Lenovo K5 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Carried out some file transfers and got the below results;

Lenovo K5 Pro
PD Works
USB Storage works
File Transfer works...Tested using a 1.1GB file. File transfer from a USB 2.0 (16GB Toshiba) drive to the phone's internal storage took 1 minute. Moving the same file back took 3 minutes 45 seconds.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
PD Works
USB Storage works
Samsung DeX works right out of the box.
File Transfer works...Tested using the same 1.1GB file. File transfer from a Samsung USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT 128GB drive to the phone's internal storage took a blistering 11s....Testament to how fast data can be transferred from decent compatible hardware. Copying the same file to an old spare 2GB microSD card took 2 minutes 30s. While moving the same file from the microSD back to the phone's internal storage took 1 minute 4s.

Thoughts
*The single USB-C female port is only meant for PD charging, and not for data transfer.
*Both USB A ports are for data transfer purposes and not for charging devices. So do NOT attempt using them to charge a phone or tablet.
*The hub supports various MacOS, Windows, & Android devices. It's also compatible with the Google Chromebook Pixel 2015. Please visit their website for the more comprehensive list of verified models. I'll go out on a limb here to mention that the list isn't exhaustive.
*To use the Ethernet feature on MacOS or with Microsoft Windows XP/7? You'll have to manually install the driver. There's an installation disc in the box. Alternatively, head over here to downloadthe necessary drivers. It is recommended to reboot the computer upon successful installation. Windows 8/8.1/10 are plug and play. No driver installation needed.
*Plugging in a Logitech Keyboard+Mouse combo USB adapter into one of the slots, allows compatibility for Samsung DeX usage. Alternatively, to free up that port for data transfer, etc.....One can use a Bluetooth connected Keyboard & Mouse combo. Samsung DeX and it's benefits will be an entirely separate conversation. Naturally, can't be discussed at length in this forum section
The tests above might differ slightly from yours depending on your device and performance of the connected devices. I merely attempted to show how excellent the hub is in varying scenarios with budget & flagship devices. Build quality is impressive. The hub is made out of a stylish space grey aluminum + plastic. This mix also aids in heat dissipation, so one can rest easy during long hours of use. The device does get a bit hot after awhile. But I've been assured by Ugreen that this is perfectly normal and it's safe to carry on. Which I did. biggrin.gif Kudos to Ugreen for excellent fit and finish. Everything simply came together.

Lazada Store
Product page on official website

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jan 9 2020, 03:46 AM
TSvoncrane
post Jan 9 2020, 02:29 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Reserved.
TSvoncrane
post Jan 9 2020, 11:43 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jan 9 2020, 09:44 AM)
Great review voncrane
Thanks buddy.. notworthy.gif

QUOTE(gid @ Jan 9 2020, 09:59 AM)
What kind of USB Type-C PD Charger you are using?  From UGreen as well?
I'm using this.. 4-Port 34W QC 3.0 USB Wall Charger - Black color though, along with this also Ugreen Type C cable. I purchased both in May last year and been using daily ever since. Absolutely no issues with either. The black color charger seems to have been discontinued..? At least, it's no longer listed under their flagship store. It is a QC3.0 charger (not PD standard) that I can confirm supports fast charging on Samsung, Xiaomi and Lenovo phones. So I'd say it's alright for charging compatible mobile devices.. IMO, despite iPhone 8/X "compatible", most current phones won't require more than 18/20W. PD 60W/100W is more suited for larger devices such as laptops, household appliances, etc.. In retrospect, wish I'd gotten one with at least 2 or even all 4 ports being QC3.0 capable. Perhaps one with PD 100W and the rest QC3.0...So if you have or intend to have multiple devices that can benefit from fast charging and PD? Choose the accompanying charger and cable.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jan 10 2020, 12:45 AM
TSvoncrane
post Jan 10 2020, 12:02 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(Ludwig. @ Jan 9 2020, 11:46 PM)
wow, 100W PD charging is quite impressive.
iirc, my all-in-one thunderbolt 3 dongle from ugreen only allows for 65W PD charging.

very nice review!
The beautiful thing about USB PD is it's an industry standard OPEN specification. Don't get me wrong, Qualcomm's 4.0 is nice and all.. I mean it speaks PD language. But it's still proprietary. We'll see how it's future lies in the face of open PD tech. Yup, 100W charging is indeed impressive and IIRC, last year Samsung announced two USB PD 3.0 controllers that support up to 100W charging and security elements for reliable data and power transfer. Natural progression that it becomes standard....? Like Fast charging is today. Everyone charging mobile devices at 100W, until the next higher amount.. Sorry to say, your already fast 65W just might be obsolete in a couple years.. sweat.gif

Hey, thanks... notworthy.gif
TSvoncrane
post Jan 13 2020, 01:12 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jan 12 2020, 10:04 PM)
Any problem when using this on Macbooks?

Last time i heard got Wifi interference problem when using these type of adapters. Wifi got cutoff whenever using the USBC adapters.
Have to wrap some aluminum foil to prevent signal interference some more.  shakehead.gif  doh.gif
Hi, did some light reading and got a mixed bag.. TLDR, it appears to be a physics issue. Some methods to circumvent include, as you pointed out, wrapping aluminum foil around the hub..or using an extension cable or raising the Macbook higher than the hub. Purpose of the last 2 is to provide some distance between the Macbook & the hub. Perhaps if you'd like to try it out with your Macbook.. Do PM me and we'll see about that. smile.gif

Else, I've posed the question to Ugreen and awaiting their response. Will update here once I hear back from them.

Edit:...Got this response.
Attached Image
They've confirmed that installing the appropriate OS drivers first, should resolve the issue.

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jan 13 2020, 12:29 AM)
My only complaint with all UGreen hub is that the USB-C cable is way too short, imagine having all the messy HDMI, Ethernet, keyboard & mouse cable on your desk, it would look really ugly
If only they use a longer cable like those Dell / HP / Lenovo Thunderbolt docking station
Quite true. Though I can see the logic behind their decision. These are typically used with mobile PCs on the go, etc. Typically, one would want the connected drives within easy reach. I've seen some hubs that sit flush beside a laptop's USB-C port. Also making for easy drives and peripheral plug and play. I mean, it's just trying to replicate the same usage scenarios as if the ports were on the device itself. We don't complain about having messy cabling then..We just plug in what we need and forget about it. I feel the same here. Nevertheless, for sake of pleasing all, the cable could be a little longer. Alternatively, one can always get an extension USB-C cable for that tuck away visuals. wink.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jan 13 2020, 01:46 PM
TSvoncrane
post Jun 27 2020, 09:55 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(KenDiriwan @ Jun 27 2020, 04:33 PM)
I am considering of getting a reliable hub, as a laptop user, it is quite hassle when i have to plug more than 3peripheral whenever im back at workdesk.

My concern are just on the long run do they works for at least 2-3years. UGreen is attractive but am looking for one with longer cable so i don't have to push my laptop far to the edge of desk to avoid all the connecting squid visible.
Hi..I can understand the hassle of having to plug in more peripheral devices on a machine with limited ports. Unfortunately and as described here earlier, the cable does seem short for some users. Personally? I don't mind. But I can relate to it being a legitimate concern. I've feedback to the good folks at Ugreen regarding this. Perhaps in future (not anytime soon though) they will release a hardware update with more features & a longer cable? We'll see. I would suggest getting a USB Type-C extension cable, for that extra reach or tuck away feature.. As for build quality, I can vouch for the device's reliability. I mean, it's UGREEN & it's been over 6 months since my initial review...the unit is still going strong. One of my cable related longest experiences, is with their Ethernet cables running alongside and through my walls. It's been 2 years and (knocks on wood) zero issues. So I expect the same reliability with this hub as well flex.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jun 27 2020, 09:57 PM
TSvoncrane
post Jun 29 2020, 02:11 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(KenDiriwan @ Jun 28 2020, 08:45 PM)
Extension is a very straightforward and and affordable idea. Great.

Good to hear of your user experience. It is more sense making than looking at newly purchased feedback on ecommerce
Thanks.. Being able to offer real world usage reviews and feedback responses directly back to the manufacturer, are the primary reasons I went down this path. A result of sometimes, not being able to fully trust "independent" reviews about products I'm interested in purchasing. Not that they are completely false. But that sometimes, one wants to know what or how a product actually works long-term vs just a quick test, just to rate and review for say coins, before the short deadline online stores place on reviews.

Yep, getting an extension cable would work nicely.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jun 29 2020, 02:12 AM
TSvoncrane
post Jul 15 2020, 07:23 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(KenDiriwan @ Jul 15 2020, 05:15 PM)
Just got a pack of stuffs from ugreen including hub, power adapter, etc. Nice quality product!
Hi, yeah they do take their time to design and produce outstanding products... Let me know if you run into issues or have questions about any of my reviewed items.. icon_rolleyes.gif thumbup.gif
TSvoncrane
post Aug 21 2020, 02:02 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(soul78 @ Aug 21 2020, 01:32 PM)
Anyone knows this hub works well worth dell Latitude  7490?

I bought an Oricco hub and it's a hit and miss where as some TV is able to support display and some Monitors can't.  But all other ports are working. I've tested about 4-5 monitors but couldn't find a pattern of which would workhouse and which doesn't. At first i thought old tv
would not work but some of them work and some never tvs does not..
While, I don't have a Dell Latitude 7490 to test... Mind describing what you mean by doesn't work and works? No display? Not Full Range? Which ports and or cables were used? Etc... Let's see if can troubleshoot your Oricco hub first. Generally HDMI is widely accepted.. Else, i'd still recommend this Ugreen hub.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Aug 21 2020, 02:03 PM
TSvoncrane
post Aug 23 2020, 12:21 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(soul78 @ Aug 21 2020, 02:29 PM)
Thanks for getting back.
Yeah the hdmi totally no display at all.
I've ruled out cable issue, laptop issue because the same config works for some tvs and monitor.

I think I've given up on the Oricco, but just wanted to know anyone had used this on my Dell lattitude series before. cheers.
Hmmm, truly weird and at this point it's either a software bug on the Laptop's end or the Oricco... I looked up the specs of your Dell and it seems to have ample ports, including a regular HDMI port. Why not use that instead? See below for the characteristics of this Ugreen 7-in-1 hub.. Under the notes section, there's talk about DP ALT Mode support. Searched and can't find for sure if your Latitude supports this. Maybe before purchasing this? You chat Dell up and confirm your model does support this.. If yes? Then can pull the trigger on this and should work too.

Universal Compatibility(Partial List)
Apple 12 inch MacBook 2015 2016 2017, 2018 MacBook Air 13in, MacBook Pro 13", 15"
Google Chromebook Pixel 2015, Dell XPS 13 15
Microsoft Surface Pro X, Surface Go, Surface Book 2, Surface Pro 7, Surface Laptop 3, Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
HP Spectre notebook, Spectre x360 Laptop, Envy 13t, Elite X2
ASUS ZenBook 3, Razer Blade Stealth 2018, Lenovo Yoga 720, Yoga C930, Yoga 920, Huawei MateBook X, MateBook E
Samsung Galaxy Book 12"", Galaxy Note 9 s9 s8 plus, Note 8, Oneplus 7 Pro.

Notes
This hub only works for C-Type devices that support DP ALT MODE. Please make sure the USB C port on your device supports video output, data syncing and charging before purchase.
For Ethernet, drivers are needed for Mac OS and Windows 7 system.
USB C female port is only designed for charging, NOT for data transferring.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0257sec    0.13    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th August 2022 - 02:30 AM