Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Investment US stocks investment, Is anybody trading in US stocks?

views

TScybermaster98
post Jan 14 2020, 03:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(powerlinkers @ Jan 14 2020, 05:30 AM)
you have entered when stocks are overvalued.
This is the best opportunity of the decade for you to learn.

exit in 10 months, keep cash.
wait for 12 months post crash.
buy long-term profitable companies. always avoid IPOs.
You are absolutely correct. I entered at the tail end of the bullrun. I too plan to exit nearer the Presidential Elections. Then wait for the correction and then go back in sometime Q4 2021.
bmwcaddy
post Jan 14 2020, 06:41 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Jan 13 2020, 08:10 PM)
Whats your rational or analysis to support this?
1. Upcoming 2020 gadgets (6 new iphones - 4G/5G market, SE2 market) - wider range of affordability means wider market coverage, as evident in iPhone 11
2. Almost the end-cycle to their notch display - foresee a spike-up in trend when they bring in new technology into iphone (i.e. in screen fingerprint scanner though this was in android long time already)
3. Trade War seems to have toned down, and Tim Cook has good relationship with Trump - I believe Tim is one of the board member of white house or something
4. I dont see android phones picking up yet in 2020 - though i may be wrong, with foldables still at a very infancy stage

So for now, there's really not much downfall/plateau, its gonna be another 2019 for Apple
TScybermaster98
post Jan 15 2020, 02:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(bmwcaddy @ Jan 14 2020, 06:41 PM)
1. Upcoming 2020 gadgets (6 new iphones - 4G/5G market, SE2 market) - wider range of affordability means wider market coverage, as evident in iPhone 11
2. Almost the end-cycle to their notch display - foresee a spike-up in trend when they bring in new technology into iphone (i.e. in screen fingerprint scanner though this was in android long time already)
3. Trade War seems to have toned down, and Tim Cook has good relationship with Trump - I believe Tim is one of the board member of white house or something
4. I dont see android phones picking up yet in 2020 - though i may be wrong, with foldables still at a very infancy stage

So for now, there's really not much downfall/plateau, its gonna be another 2019 for Apple
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-and-w...ocks-2020-01-13

icemanfx
post Jan 16 2020, 08:56 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
20,791 posts

Tesla Is Once Again the Most Shorted American Stock
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/202...nd=premium-asia
TrustULoveU
post Jan 17 2020, 04:41 PM

On my way
552 posts

how much is it to open foreign CDS account thru maybank ? anyone knows?
moosset
post Jan 17 2020, 06:34 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(TrustULoveU @ Jan 17 2020, 04:41 PM)
how much is it to open foreign CDS account thru maybank ? anyone knows?
Very cheap only lah........ maybe RM10? I think some agents even waive it.

Don't think too much about fees etc. Just get started. Once you're good at investing, you can learn more about lowering your fees.
I used to be like you; took me really long time to start because scared of this and that.

edit: I'm talking about M'sian CDS. US trading is different.

This post has been edited by moosset: Jan 17 2020, 06:35 PM
TrustULoveU
post Jan 17 2020, 07:32 PM

On my way
552 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Jan 17 2020, 07:34 PM)
Very cheap only lah........ maybe RM10? I think some agents even waive it.

Don't think too much about fees etc. Just get started. Once you're good at investing, you can learn more about lowering your fees.
I used to be like you; took me really long time to start because scared of this and that.

edit: I'm talking about M'sian CDS. US trading is different.
I already opened Malaysia CDS, what I meant was foreign CDS, foreign stocks.. can open right? Forgotten to ask my broker hahah
McFD2R
post Jan 21 2020, 06:04 PM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Jan 13 2020, 10:13 PM)
I dont think so. Its not about going wrong. Its about the correct entry point. Buying a stock at peak vs buying after a 20% dip is huge because not all of us will hold a stock for 5-10 years to even out the hikes and dips.

All these stocks are long overdue for a correction. No stock keeps shooting up. There comes a point when sellers will overcome buyers and send stock price down.

TESLA is classic example of an unsustainable rise. The graph is clear. Anything that displays a near vertical rise is bound to correct at some point. Its about when not if.

I look at 5 main criteria when selecting stocks:

1) Extension of current price vs 3 year average
2) Technical chart analysis
3) Financial health of company
4) News
5) Insider trading, buying/selling trends
In some stocks, there isn't a correct entry point. I have held Apple stocks since buying it at USD32.xx in 2010. Year on year closing, it keeps rising except for 1 year where year end close was slightly lower than the previous.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/A...k-price-history

You have mentioned you are in for the long haul. Apple has been one of them. 10 years ago, even at USD32, my heart was pounding like mad when I bought 1000 units of Apple shares. And that at a conversion rate of 3.4x to every dollar. You have no idea on the temptation for me to sell every year. Even now, I am so very tempted, especially when conversion rate now is better at 4.1x. And now, Apple stands at USD320. Dare anyone buy for fear of dropping?

In reference to entry point, that only concerns short term gains. For long term, if you read their book value, one can be assured any dip will be momentary. Some you wait for them to drop, but they just keep rising. That is our loss because we dare not take the risk. I sold my ADOBE shares for a handsome profit just only 2 months ago. But look at the price now. bangwall.gif You can't win them all right?

I bought Facebook after they went public. And the stocks spiraled downwards to USD19+. I had a colleague who played the local stock market laughing at me. He's older than me by 16 years, so you could understand why he doesn't see how FB can be bigger. I sold it at USD189. And now? bangwall.gif

Anyhow, I'm just sharing what I bought, kept and sold. There has been stocks where I have lost. But current holdings more than made up for the loss. Right or wrong is very much dependent how one interprets the market and economy, as well as understanding their risk appetite.
TScybermaster98
post Jan 21 2020, 06:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(McFD2R @ Jan 21 2020, 06:04 PM)
In some stocks, there isn't a correct entry point. I have held Apple stocks since buying it at USD32.xx in 2010. Year on year closing, it keeps rising except for 1 year where year end close was slightly lower than the previous.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/A...k-price-history

You have mentioned you are in for the long haul. Apple has been one of them. 10 years ago, even at USD32, my heart was pounding like mad when I bought 1000 units of Apple shares. And that at a conversion rate of 3.4x to every dollar. You have no idea on the temptation for me to sell every year. Even now, I am so very tempted, especially when conversion rate now is better at 4.1x. And now, Apple stands at USD320. Dare anyone buy for fear of dropping?

In reference to entry point, that only concerns short term gains. For long term, if you read their book value, one can be assured any dip will be momentary. Some you wait for them to drop, but they just keep rising. That is our loss because we dare not take the risk. I sold my ADOBE shares for a handsome profit just only 2 months ago. But look at the price now.  bangwall.gif  You can't win them all right?

I bought Facebook after they went public. And the stocks spiraled downwards to USD19+. I had a colleague who played the local stock market laughing at me. He's older than me by 16 years, so you could understand why he doesn't see how FB can be bigger. I sold it at USD189. And now?  bangwall.gif

Anyhow, I'm just sharing what I bought, kept and sold. There has been stocks where I have lost. But current holdings more than made up for the loss. Right or wrong is very much dependent how one interprets the market and economy, as well as understanding their risk appetite.
Yes but you entered the US stock market at the beginning of the bull run so your ability to weather storms and corrections is much greater than a new investor buying into these stocks at its current peak prices. I think if u had bought any of the top stocks in the S&P500 in 2010 you would have made handsome returns today. Its the same as the property market in Malaysia. Anybody who bought a decent property in 2008/2010 would have made a good return.

But as i mentioned earlier we are at the tail end of this bullrun. Its already so far extended. A correction is definitely on the horizon. When and by how much we dont know but it will happen. What i mean by trying to choose the best entry point is doing sufficient analysis and then making a decision. Nobody can time the market and the market will do what it sets out to do but we can manage our risk exposure.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Jan 21 2020, 07:01 PM
TScybermaster98
post Jan 21 2020, 11:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

https://www.fxstreet.com/analysis/sp-500-in...re-202001211518

The Standard Deviation Indicator in the ultra long term configuration – 200 weekly periods – just hit 319 points.

In May 2015, shortly before the S&P500 fell 337 points (-15.73%) the standard deviation indicator marked 300 points.
In Sept 2018, shortly before the S&P500 fell 598 points (-20.33%), the standard deviation indicator marked 300 points.

TrustULoveU
post Jan 23 2020, 01:50 PM

On my way
552 posts

how much to open foreign CDS account?
moosset
post Jan 23 2020, 05:14 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Jan 21 2020, 11:59 PM)
https://www.fxstreet.com/analysis/sp-500-in...re-202001211518

The Standard Deviation Indicator in the ultra long term configuration – 200 weekly periods – just hit 319 points.

In May 2015, shortly before the S&P500 fell 337 points (-15.73%) the standard deviation indicator marked 300 points.
In Sept 2018, shortly before the S&P500 fell 598 points (-20.33%), the standard deviation indicator marked 300 points.
Thanks! I'll queue my order at 20% less than the current market price.
moosset
post Jan 23 2020, 05:22 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(TrustULoveU @ Jan 23 2020, 01:50 PM)
I could be wrong, I think it differs by country. Singapore has something similar, but some countries don't have such thing like CDS account etc. When I opened my brokerage account in Europe, they didn't say anything like you can choose between CDS or nominee account. I think it was automatically a nominee account. I'm not sure.

More reading:
https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/inve...-foreign-stocks
Cubalagi
post Jan 23 2020, 05:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(TrustULoveU @ Jan 23 2020, 01:50 PM)
CDS refer to Central Depository of Securities. It's a Malaysian term for when u open in Bursa. The broker will open the CDS account for you with Bursa. The RM10 goes to Bursa. In Bursa, they register the shares under your name. So even if broker bankrupt, you are still shareholder. In Singapore its called CDP account.

When you trade overseas via a Malaysian broker or an international broker, you don't open a CDS account in that country. You are trading under the broker "CDS account" equivalent (or probably even the broker to the broker CDS account).

So the answer is 0. But of course, the broker will charge you other ways.

thesnake
post Jan 31 2020, 07:44 AM

On my way
552 posts

Tesla just jumped to 650 per share 😭
markedestiny
post Jan 31 2020, 05:37 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

QUOTE(thesnake @ Jan 31 2020, 07:44 AM)
Tesla just jumped to 650 per share 😭
What do you see in Tesla ? It's so overvalue that one investment firm CEO interviewed on Bloomberg confidently said he was going to short it. But yesterday it will up another 10+%. Not sure if he pulls this over a period of time or time his entrance..

Nonetheless he said this share is trading like bitcoin...I share his opinion.
flazeroth4th
post Jan 31 2020, 05:40 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

there's multiple news outlet screaming recession is coming, is it the right time to invest now, or should wait market crash then buy?
markedestiny
post Jan 31 2020, 05:53 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

QUOTE(flazeroth4th @ Jan 31 2020, 05:40 PM)
there's multiple news outlet screaming recession is coming, is it the right time to invest now, or should wait market crash then buy?
Buy selectively, seek out quality value stocks.. But Wait for trend reversal, market is still in denial now I think and will react as more data comes out on the extend is the economic impacts due to the virus.

Edit to add : pls do your own due diligence before investing. Everyone has different risk appetite and management.

This post has been edited by markedestiny: Jan 31 2020, 05:55 PM
aeonsakura
post Jan 31 2020, 07:16 PM

Casual
369 posts

i'm new in us stocks, after research, only eToro is friendly to those with less starting funds....
silverwave
post Feb 16 2020, 03:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(apathen @ Jan 7 2020, 06:02 PM)
as maybank shareholder thank you for patronizing maybank, but if you keen to make this as long term holding better you directly use US broker, cheaper, faster and more tools to play around. my 2 cents.
How much cheaper is it with a US broker?

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:25 PM