Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Urgent Water leaking problem

views

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 1 2020, 05:40 AM, updated 6d ago

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,082 posts

Hi.. I just moved in a week ago and I am now noticing water spots on my living room concrete ceiling directly underneath my master bathroom.. will file defects with developer but would like to seek opinion from experienced members here, i am wondering what could be the cause for this? the spot is showing up directly underneath the drain hole.. i'm very scared that they might start hacking all my tiles.. a lot of work and i already moved in sweat.gif thanks

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
wchinwai
post Jan 1 2020, 05:48 AM

Casual
329 posts

i suspect water proofing issue. Not enough water proofing or leaking from the pipe.
Might suggest redo water proofing for the bathroom
qwertyuioped
post Jan 1 2020, 05:54 AM

Enthusiast
882 posts

QUOTE(wchinwai @ Jan 1 2020, 06:48 AM)
i suspect water proofing issue. Not enough water proofing or leaking from the pipe.
Yup. Same problem with my apartment too last time. Had to hack the tiles, redo the waterproofing and put tiles back.
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 1 2020, 05:55 AM

3,082 posts

QUOTE(wchinwai @ Jan 1 2020, 05:48 AM)
my understanding for water proofing issue is that usually the water stains will be at random spots instead of being directly under the drain hole/WC?

wondering if this could be only an issue with the waste pipe...
amduser
post Jan 1 2020, 11:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,351 posts

It could be the joint of the drain pipe leaking as well, waterproof layer leaking is another cause
nexona88
post Jan 1 2020, 06:15 PM

VIP Club House
All Stars
24,946 posts

Whatever your tiles gone..
They needed to hack no matter what..
bobowyc
post Jan 3 2020, 01:37 PM

You are who you are.
924 posts

Based on that water mark the problem can be checked from the bottom first, where the leaking mark is. Seems to me it's a plaster ceiling plus the brown spotting means that it's just normal drainage water or shower water. Address it from the bottom first before hacking up the tiles and replacing it all with new tiles.
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 3 2020, 01:48 PM

3,082 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 3 2020, 01:37 PM)
Based on that water mark the problem can be checked from the bottom first, where the leaking mark is. Seems to me it's a plaster ceiling plus the brown spotting means that it's just normal drainage water or shower water. Address it from the bottom first before hacking up the tiles and replacing it all with new tiles.
problem is that's not plaster ceiling... it's concrete... sweat.gif
bobowyc
post Jan 3 2020, 02:02 PM

You are who you are.
924 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 3 2020, 01:48 PM)
problem is that's not plaster ceiling... it's concrete...  sweat.gif
Very sure? Opened and checked already?

Edit: sorry still sleeping. LOL. Then yeah, better hack already and redo tiles. No other options already.

This post has been edited by bobowyc: Jan 3 2020, 02:03 PM
aeiou228
post Jan 3 2020, 03:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,603 posts

You'll l be lucky if developer wants to hack and redo the tiles, very likely they just paint a few layers of water based transparent water proofing solution at the grouts and repaint your ceiling.
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 3 2020, 04:09 PM

3,082 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 3 2020, 03:35 PM)
You'll l be lucky if developer wants to hack and redo the tiles, very likely they just paint a few layers of water based transparent water proofing solution at the grouts and repaint your ceiling.
it won't last long? hmm.gif
aeiou228
post Jan 3 2020, 07:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,603 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 3 2020, 04:09 PM)
it won't last long?  hmm.gif
At least can last until the warranty is over. If it leak again you can re-apply though.
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 3 2020, 07:46 PM

3,082 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 3 2020, 07:40 PM)
At least can last until the warranty is over. If it leak again you can re-apply though.
i've tried googling on this but can't find much info, do you happen to know what the product name is? it's not Sika is it?
aeiou228
post Jan 3 2020, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,603 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 3 2020, 07:46 PM)
i've tried googling on this but can't find much info, do you happen to know what the product name is? it's not Sika is it?
It is colourless like water, totally transparent and penetrable when apply into grout or cement wall.
Sika is a reputable brand, it should have it too.
But I'm using AJ Alfa brand.
https://shopee.com.my/product/27796735/852433020?smtt=0.0.9
amduser
post Jan 3 2020, 08:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,351 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 3 2020, 07:46 PM)
It is called grout sealer, it doesn't last forever and you need to reapply it every year depends on your usage
wayton
post Jan 4 2020, 09:52 AM

Getting Started
181 posts

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 1 2020, 05:55 AM)
my understanding for water proofing issue is that usually the water stains will be at random spots instead of being directly under the drain hole/WC?

wondering if this could be only an issue with the waste pipe...
Based on picture, it could be drain pipe joint leaking, especial the u section which is alway susceptible for leak.
I find 2 odd issues
1. there is bath room above master room, which is always not good design to have bathroom above any room.
2. Usually any drain pipe below is plaster ceiling instead of concrete as need to access the u section for any issue of pipe blockage.
buysellaccount
post Jan 4 2020, 09:15 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

The only way is to remove the tiles surrounding the floor drain, drill around it to make a funnel like shape and regrout it with non shrink grout.

Plenty of devs do away with the funnel like shape and grout straightaway with only the cylinder shape left behind by the pipe sleeve when they pour the slab. Takes quite a few tries and testing for this subpar method to be waterproof.
buysellaccount
post Jan 4 2020, 09:21 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

Claim everything from the dev, including 2 fresh coats of paint for the ceiling.
pinkroselle
post Jan 13 2020, 01:03 PM

15 posts

Find the root caused first before doing any solution. Try not to wet the floor for few days but only use the w.c.. If there is still dampness then it must be the problem from the pipe.

If no new damp mark, try use and wet the bathroom floor, and the damp continue then is the floor waterproofing issue. There is a no tiles hacking matter that need not to hack the tiles in the market. After all, re-tiles also can't permanently solve the issue as usual tile contractor did not give any warranty too or most 3-6mths only.
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jan 13 2020, 02:32 PM

3,082 posts

QUOTE(pinkroselle @ Jan 13 2020, 01:03 PM)
Find the root caused first before doing any solution. Try not to wet the floor for few days but only use the w.c.. If there is still dampness then it must be the problem from the pipe.

If no new damp mark, try use and wet the bathroom floor, and the damp continue then is the floor waterproofing issue. There is a no tiles hacking matter that need not to hack the tiles in the market. After all, re-tiles also can't permanently solve the issue as usual tile contractor did not give any warranty too or most 3-6mths only.
found some holes at the grout (like grouting chip off)

this should be the cause right?

confirm not wc issue, for one week i didn't wet the floor, no leaking.

now start shower with it, got leak.

the grout holes are near the drain cover.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0336sec    4.70    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th January 2020 - 03:35 AM