Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Cycling V37: Road bikes - Recreational/Racing, Average speed 30km/h is so 1786

views

tcb2010
post Mar 10 2020, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

Hello riders,

I'm looking out to try out Roadie pedals, initially set eyes on Shimano SPD -SL system, but now also look at Look system due to very affordable Xpedo light weight pedals that uses Look cleats.

Any pros/cons of going either system?
Leaning towards Xpedo pedals/Look cleats as it much cheaper given the 230g++.

I have been using mtb cleat shoes on my roadie for sometime...Do i expect minor performance gain for switching to Roadie shoes due to better securement of the clips?
tcb2010
post May 20 2021, 10:43 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

Hi roadies,

I'm curious and keen to try the Goodyear F1 supersport tubeless, as I read its radical in its double bead design which makes seating the bead very easy with just track pump or handpump.

I am very new on tubeless, and I'm currently on giant gavia tubeless, and I think that tire is tough to install and uninstall shall I ever needed.

Has anyone with real world experience using this Goodyear F1 tubeless, and share if its really a game changer tubeless?

Thanks.
tcb2010
post May 20 2021, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

QUOTE(radmaszeal @ May 20 2021, 02:48 PM)
I'm assuming you are on Giant wheels and rims? Usually its the combination of tyre and rim that makes installation and removal easy or tough, tubeless more so. I dont have experience with Giant, but used swiss side tubeless ready, mavic clincher, reynolds assault 40mm clincher and reynolds ar58x tubeless ready with clincher tyres pirelli p zero velo, sworks turbo (not cotton), conti gp4000, bontrager r4, michelin power competition, challenge strada, no tubeless ready one. I find continental gp4000 when new quite a bitch to install and remove but easier after a few times, challenge strada a bitch with all rims. swiss side easy to install and remove with all tyres, reynolds tubeless ready quite tough, tyre bead gets stuck in the channel in the middle of the rim bed. happened with friend's enve rim also so not exactly uncommon lol.

unfortunately I dont have experience with goodyear or giant wheels so I cant really help.
Yeah..on SLR1 giant wheels and giant tubeless tires. Just want some feedback on real life experiences of forum mates on this Goodyear tyre.
Lots of horror tales I have read on running tubeless when fails.
tcb2010
post May 21 2021, 09:29 AM

Getting Started
119 posts

QUOTE(radmaszeal @ May 21 2021, 07:59 AM)
by fail, you are referring to leaks that arent sealed, or tyre unseating from rim, or a nightmare to install and remove? got different levels of fails hahaha. i would just try it out, then change further down the road if its too troublesome lol.
yeah...those seating the bead , remove /install for tubes...during roadside repairs if sealant fails...are probably the biggest concern of tubeless to me at the moment.
Also wanna hear from experience if those Goodyear's do really make a difference in terms of running tubeless setup.
tcb2010
post May 30 2021, 11:06 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

QUOTE(ahchat @ May 28 2021, 02:56 PM)
hey guys, between road clip shoes and mtb clip shoes, which one is better?

i ride single speed bike (road) which usually around town and often stop..

does unclipping a road clip is harder than mtb clip?
Ah Chat,

U mentioned single speed bike ( ride on road), i presume your not riding a road bike.

Fixie or probably a single speed foldie/velo perhaps?

If ur mainly riding town areas, stop a lot and walk around a lot doing your thing..then stick to ur mtb cleat kind of shoes.
I didn't say MTB shoes specifically, but there are touring shoes that based on MTB cleats. Such as from Shimano range, and quite a few actually.
These shoes are normally comfy, not built like tank as MTB shoes, and great for walking and cycling.

I have been using both platform for a long while for my roadies, foldies and velos..all on roads , long distances and short commutes like you.

Since ur not doing road biking on a roadbike, a road shoe, with its road cleats ..u will be complaining and cursing in no time, for the kind of ride u are now.
Walking around with a dedicated roadie shoe isn't exactly fun or comfortable.
tcb2010
post Jun 8 2021, 09:29 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Jun 8 2021, 03:57 PM)
+1 with the bolded.  nod.gif
I was using this MT44 before. Very comfy for walking and on bike. Feels like wearing a sneaker. Slightly heavier than "normal" cycling shoes. 
user posted image
As the MTB cleats are recessed, it lasts forever.  biggrin.gif
Good recommedation..these are the shoes im referring to, but just can't recall the models...Shimano has the most range.
Also check out Shimano RT4 / RT5..more roadie like but with MTB cleats..perfect casual ride shoes...tho kinda overpriced now.

GIRO also has a few models.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0314sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th August 2021 - 01:22 AM