Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

339 Pages « < 332 333 334 335 336 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Cycling V37: Road bikes - Recreational/Racing, Average speed 30km/h is so 1786

views

nonexno
post Jun 1 2021, 11:44 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 1 2021, 11:22 PM)
You don't need 11s to climb. With 10s casette running on bigger 'T' helps.
My 11s Shimano 105 R7000 are setup with climbing gearing ratio. Running on these setup.

+ Compact crankset 105 50-34t (arm 160mm length)  << Ordered from Taiwan for small compact around $rm650
+ Shimano SLX 42-11t casette.
+ Add wolftooth rd extender

I live up the hills so i have to climb home extremely steep gradient everyday. 

Here's how my setup looked like below:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Yes double compact crank will cost be 1k. Not sure got to change crank only.
Calvin Seak
post Jun 2 2021, 08:18 AM

Pushing the limits
2,168 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 1 2021, 11:22 PM)
You don't need 11s to climb. With 10s casette running on bigger 'T' helps.
My 11s Shimano 105 R7000 are setup with climbing gearing ratio. Running on these setup.

+ Compact crankset 105 50-34t (arm 160mm length)  << Ordered from Taiwan for small compact around $rm650
+ Shimano SLX 42-11t casette.
+ Add wolftooth rd extender

I live up the hills so i have to climb home extremely steep gradient everyday. 

Here's how my setup looked like below:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
That's a lovely setup you have there!
SupermotoXL
post Jun 2 2021, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
186 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 1 2021, 11:44 PM)
Yes double compact crank will cost be 1k. Not sure got to change crank only.
You don't have to change to compact crank just to climb, you'll just need to get the right gearing ratio at the back to your liking. Climber ratio with stock crankset will have longer chain and cross chain problem.
You still can get a cheap quality compact crank under rm$700 with import tax like branded SUGINO, THORN or FSA. Unless you're looking at rm1K ROTOR ALDHU or with Ant sensor for Strava but they all feel the same across brands. But a change on the crank is a must to fit your length of your leg and narrow Q-factor, since i am a short rider having disadvantages climbing hills i have to use 160mm crank and 155mm crank on my other bike. I used to see a roadie putting just rm$350 mods by just changing a casette size and he has a perfect climber bike. flex.gif

This post has been edited by SupermotoXL: Jun 2 2021, 11:02 AM
nonexno
post Jun 2 2021, 02:33 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 11:01 AM)
You don't have to change to compact  crank just to climb, you'll just need to get the right gearing ratio at the back to your liking.  Climber ratio with stock crankset will have longer chain and cross chain problem.
You still can get a cheap quality compact crank under rm$700 with import tax like branded SUGINO, THORN or FSA.  Unless you're looking at rm1K ROTOR ALDHU or with Ant sensor for Strava but they all feel the same across brands.  But a change on the crank is a must to fit your length of your leg and narrow Q-factor, since i am a short rider having disadvantages climbing hills i have to use 160mm crank and 155mm crank on my other bike. I used to see a roadie putting just rm$350 mods by just changing a casette size and he has a perfect climber bike.  flex.gif
Gearing ratio will cost me 3k. Not sure if you read my original post.
andrewhtf
post Jun 2 2021, 02:54 PM

Regular
1,564 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 1 2021, 08:51 PM)
super painful...  cry.gif

my objective is not 11 speed but i want climbing gears.

heard my option is

a. new full group - brakes and crank like you mentioned 2.5k to 3k for ultegra?
b. double compact crank? - hard to find and 1k ++
QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 2 2021, 02:33 PM)
i didnt answer before because i am not a mechanic, but this is just my opinion

1. i assume your RB is already having a standard crank - 53-39 setup

2. you dont need to change to 11 speed, you just need is just a larger T cassette ratio, assuming you have a 11-28 now, you could just get an 11-32 (or if your RD cage allows it, 11-34 but well nowadays there is this thing called goat link aka rd extender, where supemoto used a 11-42 fukken wide ratio cassette lol) at most you just need to change the chain to ensure suitable length.

3. this way you can just maintain your existing shifters and derailleurs. That's what supermoto was telling you. change the cassette, not the groupset. no need spend rm3k. whoever gave you only option a & b is not giving you more alternatives.

4. still insisting on a new 50-36 compact crank - the're cheap apa, as long as you dont insist on Shimano, litepro edge aio can be had for about rm400.00, prowheel slightly cheaper. just need to find one matching your BB

This post has been edited by andrewhtf: Jun 2 2021, 03:01 PM
SupermotoXL
post Jun 2 2021, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
186 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 2 2021, 02:33 PM)
Yes i read your post about going 10 to 11s, ultegra or upgrades for climbing but doesn't make sense why it cost 3k to upgrade. My whole groupset replacement costs $2,200 going from worn out Sora 9 speed to R7000 105 11 speed at local branded Specialized bike shop on my 13 year old aluminum road bike. The balance moneys goes into carbon parts and quality branded lightweight climber wheels with ceramics bearings. Btw last time decided to go for 105 since it has the advantage being durable and beefy and shifts like an Ultegra. andrewhtf was right, some setup doesn't to be expensive. After a good budget upgrade/replacement i was having a blast riding my bike all day and climbing...by the time i reach home i felt like i haven't been doing exercise since there no more pain on my legs or body...perfect setup.

Bike underwent full groupset upgrade:
user posted image

This post has been edited by SupermotoXL: Jun 2 2021, 03:35 PM
nonexno
post Jun 2 2021, 06:38 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 03:29 PM)
Yes i read your post about going 10 to 11s, ultegra or upgrades for climbing but doesn't make sense why it cost 3k to upgrade. My whole groupset replacement costs $2,200 going from worn out Sora 9 speed to R7000 105 11 speed at local branded Specialized bike shop on my 13 year old aluminum road bike.  The balance moneys goes into carbon parts and quality branded lightweight climber wheels with ceramics bearings. Btw last time decided to go for 105 since it has the advantage being durable and beefy and shifts like an Ultegra.   andrewhtf was right, some setup doesn't to be expensive.  After a good budget upgrade/replacement i was having a blast riding my bike all day and climbing...by the time i reach home i felt like i haven't been doing exercise since there no more pain on my legs or body...perfect setup.

user posted image
I already have most of those upgrades you mentioned. 3k cause it's ultegra groupset not 105 groupset. I have to change groupset and not just cassette cause the old 10 speed stuff is not compatible with alot of stuff. I'm not trying to be picky but I've been with ultegra 10 speed for 10 years now and this is the first time I'm thinking of changing group set because hard to find 10 speed parts already. So I got alot of trust in ultegra. So the predicament now is whether there is cheaper option else I might build another bike instead. Just caught in a really tough spot.

Thanks anyway to andrewhtf also.

This post has been edited by nonexno: Jun 2 2021, 06:45 PM
SupermotoXL
post Jun 2 2021, 08:52 PM

Getting Started
186 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 2 2021, 06:38 PM)
I already have most of those upgrades you mentioned. 3k cause it's ultegra groupset not 105 groupset. I have to change groupset and not just cassette cause the old 10 speed stuff is not compatible with alot of stuff.  I'm not trying to be picky but I've been with ultegra 10 speed for 10 years now and this is the first time I'm thinking of changing group set because hard to find 10 speed parts already. So I got alot of trust in ultegra. So the predicament now is whether there is cheaper option else I might build another bike instead. Just caught in a really tough spot.

Thanks anyway to andrewhtf also.
Well in that case upgrade to Ultegra seems to be the best choice. Btw extra important tips before buying; when you buy the Ultegra groupset especially with brifter and crankset included make sure you get full shimano warranty best if you get local shimano support because new SHIMANO groupset from 105 tiers up to Dura ace quality seems to have lots of problem unlike shimano components 10 years ago. Two of my friend cracked 2x ultegra cranks, me i have shifting failure on 105 and others also on ultegra brifter seems they share the same mechanism. I complained to Shimano agents but they cannot honor my warranty after 13 months of use. So i posted on youtube about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U
Make sure you get full warranty on all Shimano parts and keep the receipt for proof of purchase. nod.gif

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by SupermotoXL: Jun 2 2021, 08:54 PM
nonexno
post Jun 2 2021, 09:12 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 08:52 PM)
Well in that case upgrade to Ultegra seems to be the best choice.  Btw extra important tips before buying; when you buy the Ultegra groupset especially with brifter and crankset included make sure you get full shimano warranty best if you get local shimano support because new SHIMANO groupset from 105 tiers up to Dura ace quality seems to have lots of problem unlike shimano components 10 years ago.  Two of my friend cracked 2x ultegra cranks, me i have shifting failure on 105 and others also on ultegra brifter seems they share the same mechanism.  I complained to Shimano agents but they cannot honor my warranty after 13 months of use.  So i posted on youtube about it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U
Make sure you get full warranty on all Shimano parts and keep the receipt for proof of purchase.  nod.gif
user posted image

user posted image
well my other option is to go foldie - still researching how to get a roadie feel on it. nowadays i'm more mellow and just cycle around my teman compared to the mex kesas and genting sempah days.

damn, that crankarm break looks bad. how did you do that??? what i know is that pre 2015 cranks arms are 1 piece hallow and post is 2 piece forged. could be that reason. the old stuff is solid but sadly cannot find parts for them and even if you can it's expensive.
SupermotoXL
post Jun 2 2021, 09:33 PM

Getting Started
186 posts

QUOTE(nonexno @ Jun 2 2021, 09:12 PM)
well my other option is to go foldie - still researching how to get a roadie feel on it. nowadays i'm more mellow and just cycle around my teman compared to the mex kesas and genting sempah days.

damn, that crankarm break looks bad. how did you do that??? what i know is that pre 2015 cranks arms are 1 piece hallow and post is 2 piece forged. could be that reason. the old stuff is solid but sadly cannot find parts for them and even if you can it's expensive.
Nah i don't break cranks since i don't even pedal out of saddle, my friends did it. I think the two piece crank are epoxy bonded based on forum i heard. I just break my shifter as shown in video below. Foldies seems to be expensive too. Why not save the money first.. i think next coming two years or three new Shimano line up will appear soon with new tech...micro splined casette hub and lighter disc brakes. Meanwhile you still can buy 10s gears, remember Shimano Tiagra still on 10s and some MTB 10s casette are still around too which is compatible with older Ultegra shifting ratio. My top tier Mountain bike components still using 16year old SHIMANO XTR 9s speed still have component available online such as at bicyclebuysell.com and sometime i'll just order from UK or US which took 7 days arrival to Malaysia. cool2.gif Older components have more solid beefy build, butter smooth shifting and high QC quality than modern plastic look like groupsets. nod.gif Btw last few months i found a bargain price SHIMANO XTR 9spd titanium casette for my MTB bike for just rm$150, original price was rm$900. Very lucky! laugh.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U

This post has been edited by SupermotoXL: Jun 2 2021, 09:36 PM
nonexno
post Jun 2 2021, 11:43 PM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 09:33 PM)
Nah i don't break cranks since i don't even pedal out of saddle, my friends did it. I think the two piece crank are epoxy bonded based on forum i heard. I just break my shifter as shown in video below.  Foldies seems to be expensive too.  Why not save the money first.. i think next coming two years or three new Shimano line up will appear soon with new tech...micro splined casette hub and lighter disc brakes.  Meanwhile you still can buy 10s gears, remember Shimano Tiagra still on 10s and some MTB 10s casette are still around too which is compatible with older Ultegra shifting ratio. My top tier Mountain bike components still using 16year old SHIMANO XTR 9s speed still have component available online such as at bicyclebuysell.com and sometime i'll just order from UK or US which took 7 days arrival to Malaysia.  cool2.gif  Older components have more solid beefy build, butter smooth shifting and high QC quality than modern plastic look like groupsets.  nod.gif  Btw last few months i found a bargain price SHIMANO XTR 9spd titanium casette for my MTB bike for just rm$150, original price was rm$900.  Very lucky!  laugh.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U

i'm not the kind that like to have alot of change. foldie is expensive. but once i buy what i need, then that's it until breaks or doesnt serve a purpose anymore.
malleus
post Jun 3 2021, 09:15 AM

Regular
1,817 posts

QUOTE(CHARISMA12 @ Jun 1 2021, 09:48 PM)
Hi guys,
just for my experience on my first bike purchase

I've been looking for bike shops in JB area for suitable bike and a quite well known China brand came under my radar- Camp Oxygen Pro
it came with full Shimano 105, carbon frame and forks and is price at RM3900, which is well-suited to my budget
I visited the shop and bought the bike without much hesitation (Carbon frame!!)
Shop owner is kind enough to compliment me with 2 bottles along with cages, front light, rear light, pedals, and a bike stand along with the purchase
I happily brought the bike back and is eager to have my first ride that evening

However, the feeling of unsatisfactory quickly came to me as I found the shifting on high gears is not crisp and gear tripping happens randomly in the middle gears
I'm still able to bear with it in the beginning as i've done my homework is able to adjust the cable tension on the RD.
after much time, i'm only able to improve it by a minor bit and can only bear with it as i planned with my friend for a long ride the next day

The trip is a 40km route with a short break in the middle
everything is smooth on the 1st half of the trip but the return trip is irritating
strange "Squeaking" sound appears on my crank whenever force is exerted on
Right after the trip, i brought my bike to the shop and let them examine the issue

Long story short, the shop owner changed the RD, rear wheel, Bottom bracket, crank, pedal and is still not able to rectify the issue
thus they decided to give a full refund to me as the bike is still under warranty and i've only purchased it for a few days..
My guess is that the squeaking noise came from the BB/frame fitting area

In the end, i'm back to square one on my journey for my "first" road bike
I then seek for my friend's advice on his road bike- Corratec Dolomiti Elite- German brand, made in Taiwan
https://www.corratec.com/bikes/road/race-al.../elite-bk25130/
the downside of this bike is it only came with alloy frame and is a bit more expensive than my previous purchase but still within my budget

In a nutshell, i bought the bike and is very very happy with my new ride
the whole feel and build is totally on another level

just me sharing my experience on road bike purchase and no offence to the brand mentioned above
Nothing wrong with an alloy frame. I'm still using an almost 9 year old alloy frame myself, although upgraded the rest of the components slowly over the years.

Even a famous Canadian brand's high end model is kind of infamous for the creaking on the BB area, and apparently it's to do with the engineering tolerances, on well how the BB fits into the frame itself.
minizian
post Jun 3 2021, 11:16 AM

Enthusiast
879 posts

QUOTE(CHARISMA12 @ Jun 1 2021, 09:48 PM)
Hi guys,
just for my experience on my first bike purchase

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

just me sharing my experience on road bike purchase and no offence to the brand mentioned above
Congrats on your purchase and kudos to the shop thumbsup.gif for willingly taking the necessary step to fix it before finally offer full refund for the bike. Not many shop willingly does that once the sales is complete and let you rot in the open. Surely another plus point of buying from LBS (some LBS can be ass holes especially once sales is completed)

Nothing wrong alloy frame to be honest, i sometime chuckle at the sales person when I told them I wanted alloy frame based on my low budget i am looking at when i got my bike. They will laugh at me saying I should get Carbon outright. Not all low end carbon are build as good as their similar priced alloy frame.

My bike is old skool bsa english bb. So no drama about pressfit/tolerence issue.

Just curious, do you manage to figure out your bike size or you leave it to the LBS to do the sizing for you?

QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 03:29 PM)
Yes i read your post about going 10 to 11s, ultegra or upgrades for climbing but doesn't make sense why it cost 3k to upgrade. My whole groupset replacement costs $2,200 going from worn out Sora 9 speed to R7000 105 11 speed at local branded Specialized bike shop on my 13 year old aluminum road bike.  The balance moneys goes into carbon parts and quality branded lightweight climber wheels with ceramics bearings. Btw last time decided to go for 105 since it has the advantage being durable and beefy and shifts like an Ultegra.   andrewhtf was right, some setup doesn't to be expensive.  After a good budget upgrade/replacement i was having a blast riding my bike all day and climbing...by the time i reach home i felt like i haven't been doing exercise since there no more pain on my legs or body...perfect setup.

user posted image
QUOTE(SupermotoXL @ Jun 2 2021, 08:52 PM)
Well in that case upgrade to Ultegra seems to be the best choice.  Btw extra important tips before buying; when you buy the Ultegra groupset especially with brifter and crankset included make sure you get full shimano warranty best if you get local shimano support because new SHIMANO groupset from 105 tiers up to Dura ace quality seems to have lots of problem unlike shimano components 10 years ago.  Two of my friend cracked 2x ultegra cranks, me i have shifting failure on 105 and others also on ultegra brifter seems they share the same mechanism.  I complained to Shimano agents but they cannot honor my warranty after 13 months of use.  So i posted on youtube about it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U
Make sure you get full warranty on all Shimano parts and keep the receipt for proof of purchase.  nod.gif
user posted image

user posted image
+1 for current gen 105, it is more than enough for my use as I am not racing (105 is race-able to begin with) and the spare parts are reasonable when compared to ultegra or dura ace. I think using some top tier cable will make it virtually un-distinguishable over DA.

Problem is finding one full kit that have 165mm 105 crank. Damn hard to find 165 crank. Not to mention 12-25 cassette too WITH shimano Malaysia warranty

Saw too many shopee seller who selling these stuff but with questionable warranty policy.

Kinda sucks these crank failure is more common in our humid climate

QUOTE(malleus @ Jun 3 2021, 09:15 AM)
Nothing wrong with an alloy frame. I'm still using an almost 9 year old alloy frame myself, although upgraded the rest of the components slowly over the years.

Even a famous Canadian brand's high end model is kind of infamous for the creaking on the BB area, and apparently it's to do with the engineering tolerances, on well how the BB fits into the frame itself.
I think Giant & hopefully Merida is one of the better manufacturer since they are the one making their own frame.

Interesting to watch those breakdown of carbon frame video in youtube with like of peak torque/Hambini/Luschner teknik (dunno how to spell his name) and see those crazy imperfection behind nice paint

This post has been edited by minizian: Jun 3 2021, 11:19 AM
malleus
post Jun 4 2021, 03:31 PM

Regular
1,817 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Jun 3 2021, 11:16 AM)

Interesting to watch those breakdown of carbon frame video in youtube with like of peak torque/Hambini/Luschner teknik (dunno how to spell his name) and see those crazy imperfection behind nice paint
Just have to love Hambini, and the way he talks about tolerances, and he's very entertaining too
minizian
post Jun 4 2021, 04:18 PM

Enthusiast
879 posts

QUOTE(malleus @ Jun 4 2021, 03:31 PM)
Just have to love Hambini, and the way he talks about tolerances, and he's very entertaining too
Yup too funny until some of the brand kind of pissed of the way he way delivering the bad news brows.gif

I remember he have some other video uploaded but was deleted.

This post has been edited by minizian: Jun 4 2021, 04:18 PM
LiSheng95
post Jun 5 2021, 04:12 AM

Casual
311 posts

Hi, looking for bicycle for casual rides (around the neighbourhood/parks). Budget currently rm500. Any recommendations? Are those bikes on shopee decent?
Blackblade0303
post Jun 5 2021, 10:59 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

Hi all.. Looking for affordable used road bike under 2k... Requirement: shimano sora at least and removeable front tire to fit the bike in my myvi hahah.. Anyone selling their used bike? biggrin.gif
andrewhtf
post Jun 5 2021, 12:39 PM

Regular
1,564 posts

QUOTE(Blackblade0303 @ Jun 5 2021, 10:59 AM)
Hi all.. Looking for affordable used road bike under 2k... Requirement: shimano sora at least and removeable front tire to fit the bike in my myvi hahah.. Anyone selling their used bike? biggrin.gif
Polygon S2 if you can find used
Blackblade0303
post Jun 5 2021, 05:54 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(andrewhtf @ Jun 5 2021, 12:39 PM)
Polygon S2 if you can find used
Polygon seems reputable? What about TRS?
andrewhtf
post Jun 5 2021, 09:51 PM

Regular
1,564 posts

QUOTE(Blackblade0303 @ Jun 5 2021, 05:54 PM)
Polygon seems reputable? What about TRS?
TRS name is quite widespread but I have no knowledge about them. I heard Polygon more, and was advised as the least minimum brand to go for when I was looking for an RB last year.

339 Pages « < 332 333 334 335 336 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0273sec    1.59    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th July 2021 - 09:22 PM