Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple own satellite internet services 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

views

SUScfs5403
post Dec 22 2019, 07:57 AM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
70 posts

Apple has never been shy of flexing its muscles when it comes to pouring in investment to help deliver better products and services. In fact, the company to be working on satellites that can deliver internet services to its mobile devices like the iPhone 11. Apple supposedly has a dedicated team that has been assigned to this endeavour.

This project is merely in the planning stage but the company has already hired aerospace, satellite, and antenna design engineers. The idea here is to have satellites that are essentially space cell towers, in order to provide internet coverage when ground towers are unable to. This would allow Apple to offer internet coverage where its customers may not have, or even make it easier for the company to track its devices.

However, satellites like these have limitations. For one, they'd have to be in low-orbit for signals to reach users, but this, in turn, means Apple would need more satellites to provide notable coverage. Being in low-orbit also means competing with other satellites for bandwidth so it'll be hard to provide fast connections. Ultimately, an internet satellite would serve more as a fallback than the main option.
lonely66
post Dec 22 2019, 08:05 AM

On my way
534 posts

Apple 12 .....rm8999.....total value for kidney......
jueiri
post Dec 22 2019, 08:10 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

Apple ventures into rocket science now?
red_satu
post Dec 22 2019, 08:10 AM

28 posts

I wonder if they'll go LEO or GEO. The higher you go, the smaller your antenna can be since the sat will always be overhead. Go lower you need a bigger antenna cause you need to track the sats in orbit.
lenyek_penyek
post Dec 22 2019, 08:18 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

They got the money.
They got the vision.

Now to evaluate the profitability and viability of it.

Apple going to innovate again?.... maybe
PJng
post Dec 22 2019, 08:42 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,537 posts

Ts on fire
Jag23sys
post Dec 22 2019, 08:48 AM

18 posts

Racing against Elon eh?
moiskyrie
post Dec 22 2019, 08:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,990 posts

iPhone 12, cant use other telco, only can use apple as telco.....
arcadicus
post Dec 22 2019, 08:55 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

apple 12/13 == satellite phone
terradrive
post Dec 22 2019, 09:06 AM

RRAAAWWRRRRR
1,925 posts

Rather than providing internet access which I doubt is Apple's goal at all, it will be more like offering unique extra features that others can't provide.
tbcheese
post Dec 22 2019, 09:23 AM

Casual
311 posts

QUOTE(red_satu @ Dec 22 2019, 08:10 AM)
I wonder if they'll go LEO or GEO. The higher you go, the smaller your antenna can be since the sat will always be overhead. Go lower you need a bigger antenna cause you need to track the sats in orbit.
Actually smaller antenna tracks more easily as the main lobe is wider. For geo, larger earth station antenna with higher gain are better to overcome propagation losses.

But since apple is using for mobile services, antenna gonna be omnidirectional.
red_satu
post Dec 22 2019, 10:11 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(tbcheese @ Dec 22 2019, 09:23 AM)
Actually smaller antenna tracks more easily as the main lobe is wider. For geo, larger earth station antenna with higher gain are better to overcome propagation losses.

But since apple is using for mobile services, antenna gonna be omnidirectional.
I mean, stuff like Sat phones or Astro dishes have pretty simple antennas since the sats are high. For lower orbits one, as you said it would need omnidirectional antenna or something that can track the sat in orbit. I'm guessing the price would be pretty expensive then.
tbcheese
post Dec 22 2019, 12:09 PM

Casual
311 posts

QUOTE(red_satu @ Dec 22 2019, 10:11 AM)
I mean, stuff like Sat phones or Astro dishes have pretty simple antennas  since the sats are high. For lower orbits one, as you said it would need omnidirectional antenna or something that can track the sat in orbit. I'm guessing the price would be pretty expensive then.
Satphone antenna are somewhat omni like your mobile. And there are existing leo and geo satphone services. So there is existing technology available although I'm wondering if apple plans to operate in the same frequency bands.

Astro dishes are small due to cost, regulatory and aesthetic reasons. They also operate at a higher frequency band. Antenna directivity is a function of the wavelength.
SUSgenecode
post Dec 22 2019, 12:14 PM

17 posts

Spend lots of money for a fallback solution.

Does not seem like a viable plan. Stupid plan by gay Tim Cook.

Apple fansi all ghey
Apple bodo
Apple sucks

sekian.
Theoutspokenguy
post Dec 22 2019, 12:26 PM

I buwee ktards ke ke
4,602 posts

QUOTE(lenyek_penyek @ Dec 22 2019, 08:18 AM)
They got the money.
They got the vision.

Now to evaluate the profitability and viability of it.

Apple going to innovate again?.... maybe
Apple have never innovate. They just copy, buy over, rebrand new name
red_satu
post Dec 22 2019, 12:38 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(tbcheese @ Dec 22 2019, 12:09 PM)
Satphone antenna are somewhat omni like your mobile. And there are existing leo and geo satphone services. So there is existing technology available although I'm wondering if apple plans to operate in the same frequency bands.

Astro dishes are small due to cost, regulatory and aesthetic reasons. They also operate at a higher frequency band. Antenna directivity is a function of the wavelength.
Will be interesting how it'll go against SpaceX's Starlink which is operating at even lower altitude than current LEO constellation. Even SpaceX's antenna is supposed to be Pizza Box shaped.
tbcheese
post Dec 23 2019, 02:40 PM

Casual
311 posts

QUOTE(red_satu @ Dec 22 2019, 12:38 PM)
Will be interesting how it'll go against SpaceX's Starlink which is operating at even lower altitude than current LEO constellation. Even SpaceX's antenna is supposed to be Pizza Box shaped.
If Apple really plans to transmit directly to mobile devices, they will be serving a different market or perhaps different application from Starlink.
red_satu
post Dec 23 2019, 02:58 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(tbcheese @ Dec 23 2019, 02:40 PM)
If Apple really plans to transmit directly to mobile devices, they will be serving a different market or perhaps different application from Starlink.
There's a definite overlap though. Starlink is internet acess, though maybe different frequency bands than Apples. If Apple really wants to replace mobile networks, internet data needs to be part of it.
aziratul
post Apr 10 2020, 08:01 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

Apple

U can konek eveli where...

With a price tag 9999
pandah
post Apr 10 2020, 08:03 AM

On my way
668 posts

If you connected and post apple sucks, internet like shit etc, suddenly phone bricked, fulamak.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:55 PM