Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Ugreen Bluetooth 4.2 Transmitter & Receiver, Qualcomm® aptX | In-built 200mAh Battery

views

TSvoncrane
post Dec 17 2019, 03:34 AM, updated 3y ago

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

Hey all and welcome to yet another of my real world reviews. This time, I'll be reviewing a 2-in-1 Bluetooth device from Ugreen. Unlike the previously reviewed Ugreen Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver Audio Adapter. This takes wireless adaptability to another level. Because it offers both a Transmitting (TX) and Receiving (RX) mode.

Attached Image

This is Ugreen's Bluetooth 4.2 Transmitter/Receiver Audio Adapter with Qualcomm® aptX™ support for increased low latency between connected devices. It's the CM108 model and is able to pair with and play audio to 2 audio ear/headphones or speakers simultaneously. Allowing you and a partner to both enjoy the same audio off the same source. In the RX mode, the main difference between it and the CM279 (RX Only) device (well besides the design & TX function), is that with this you can only pair a single Bluetooth audio source at a time, versus at 2 devices on the other. You must disconnect from one in order for it to revert to pairing mode and connect to the other source. This is the primary difference, so choose wisely depending on your requirements. Let's now jump into specs.

Specifications (Model: CM108), etc
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached Image

Box & Actual Hardware
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Software/Connection Statuses
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The above images show various stages of pairing and connection on Android & iOS. Depending on your device capabilities and UI, slight differences might show up. Though generally it should be the same.

Conclusion
*AVRCP & A2DP present.. No HSP/HFP present. Which is to be expected.
*Earlier I mentioned that this can only connect to and receive audio from a single Bluetooth source at any given time. While in TX mode, it can simultaneously connect and output audio to 2 Bluetooth audio devices at the same time. This is an advantage for when 2 people possess their own Bluetooth earphones (or separate speakers) and would like to listen to the same audio. Both can listen with both ears covered for full stereo (and pseudo surround sound effect) as opposed to sharing a pair of wireless earbuds.
*Audio - Video sync is perfect. Playing videos from different sources (YouTube, Netflix, iFlix, AOTG, Personal, etc) and mobile games. All played in sync across multiple devices. With a device as this, one can watch most TVs (usually doesn't come with Bluetooth connectivity to ear/headphones) without any sound disturbing other occupants in the room. Quite useful for room sharing as in a hotel, dorm, etc..
*Build quality is quite good...Definitely much better than the earlier RX only unit I reviewed. Yes, no glossy plastic here. Only a nice to touch, soft yet hard (velvety feels??) material. I find the fit and finish quite excellent. Both the device and accompanying plugs & cables. Love that the button is clicky without being too "loud". Good feedback on button presses. Lastly, there's an additional circle underneath. It's raises the device ever so slightly and is made of rubber, allowing for greater grip on most surfaces without slipping.
*Truly "all day" battery life.. Around 10 - 12 hours of play time from around 2.5 hour charging time. It can be used and charged at the same time. There's an led (displays Blue & Red)..Red indicator denotes charging or when powering off. Turns to blue once fully charged. Blue color shows when powering up. During pairing mode, the lights flash blue and red rapidly and will stay that way until paired or if after 5 minutes in that unpaired state, the device will automatically power itself off. During usage, should the button start flashing red, this is a low battery indication. Charging should commence shortly after that.
*Simple and intuitive to use. Though I did face some slight challenges in entering pairing mode for the TX mode. An issue rectified by a factory reset. To perform this, first power off the device, then long press the button for about 10 seconds. The blue light will come on for about 2.5 secs (confirmation) and shortly after, the device will enter pairing mode.
*Ideally, normal usage should have both devices within 15 - 20 feet and "line of sight" of each other... I encountered performance losses at greater distances. Audio playback does continue with a wall in-between (as in walking out of a room & closing the door behind oneself), though after a couple steps, the audio begins skipping. Another step or 2 and it cuts off entirely. Walk away even further and the earphones will be disconnected completely. Good thing is once, back in working range..they both reconnect and audio is resumed as usual. Though content doesn't auto-pause while one was "away".
*IMO...Sound reproduction is as expected over wired earphones..Good enough to be rated average. Over Bluetooth earbuds? not as good. Though I paired it with a new pair of earbuds I'm trying out...It could be that, hence the subjective nature. Unfortunately, my better TWS buds aren't available at the moment for surer comparison. I'll revisit this later once they are back in my hands.
*Audible confirmation (Connected, Disconnected, Power On, Power Off, Pairing Successful, Source Connected, Source Disconnected).
*Provision of 3.5mm (Male - Male) and 3.5mm (Female) to 2RCA (Male) cables for varying scenarios.
*Unfortunately there's no dedicated volume button on the device itself. Again, to be expected given it's designed functions. Although this also means that if you connect it (in TX mode) to say a TV (that disallows volume changes while connected..aka My primary TV doesn't) and a pair of earphones or speakers without their own volume control options? You are stuck at a preset volume. Which may be too loud and or too soft depending on the content being played.

Official Lazada Purchase Page
Ugreen Malaysia LAZADA Flagship Store.
Ugreen Official Store on Shopee

This post has been edited by voncrane: Dec 17 2019, 03:48 AM
jasonix
post Dec 17 2019, 04:00 AM

28 posts

Would like to know if compare to Logitech one would it sound better ? https://www.logitech.com/en-my/product/blue...h-audio-adapter
TSvoncrane
post Dec 17 2019, 04:12 AM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(jasonix @ Dec 17 2019, 04:00 AM)
Would like to know if compare to Logitech one would it sound better ? https://www.logitech.com/en-my/product/blue...h-audio-adapter
Hard to be sure as I haven't tried Logitech's. sweat.gif .. Although from what I can see, Logitech isn't advertising the presence of Qualcomm's aptX feature. Which to me is a critical feature as it offers the ability to deliver high quality audio with very low latency (<40ms). That low latency part is important. You don't want there to be significantly noticeable lag between what's happening on your display and what you are hearing. Easily ruins the experience. So for the fact that it's unstated on Logitech's website? I wouldn't consider it. Go with the Ugreen instead.
blurjoey
post Dec 17 2019, 12:39 PM

Sumo Hammy!
5,800 posts

voncrane Great review
jasonix
post Dec 17 2019, 08:09 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 17 2019, 04:12 AM)
Hard to be sure as I haven't tried Logitech's.  sweat.gif .. Although from what I can see, Logitech isn't advertising the presence of Qualcomm's aptX feature. Which to me is a critical feature as it offers the ability to deliver high quality audio with very low latency (<40ms). That low latency part is important. You don't want there to be significantly noticeable lag between what's happening on your display and what you are hearing. Easily ruins the experience. So for the fact that it's unstated on Logitech's website? I wouldn't consider it. Go with the Ugreen instead.
Thanks alot for the review, seem like the aptX is a great features. Not much difference in term of pricing 70 vs 90.
TSvoncrane
post Dec 17 2019, 10:16 PM

Noir et fier!
7,058 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Dec 17 2019, 12:39 PM)
voncrane Great review
Thanks bossku.. notworthy.gif

QUOTE(jasonix @ Dec 17 2019, 08:09 PM)
Thanks alot for the review, seem like the aptX is a great features. Not much difference in term of pricing 70 vs 90.
Yup it is... You are welcome. Do let me know if there are any more questions or testing you'd like done.. smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0221sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th June 2022 - 02:45 AM