Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Photography Buying Polaroid camera

views

TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 13 2019, 10:44 AM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
70 posts

Just saw Home Alone again 2 again and am inspired to buy a polaroid camera. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy and where to buy from? I'm thinking of the more old school type and not the instax type.
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 16 2019, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ Dec 14 2019, 10:14 AM)
Are u looking for a USABLE old polaroid camera, or the new polaroid cameras. They used different film.if you have the money, you could get an old polaroid 110a, and pay to have it modded to an instax wide film. I had one, amazing camera. Heavy, but super old school. Fully analog.
No preference for used or unused. Is the film for the camera you are talking about very hard to find? And is it expensive compared to other widely available films?
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 17 2019, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ Dec 16 2019, 10:57 PM)
an OLD polaroid camera that still WORKS and SHOOTS film successfully, is harder to find and if you can, is expensive.

An example is an SX70. Its a very old camera, lots of them lying around, but having one working perfectly is not easy to find. If you buy a refurbushed one, it will set you back about 400USD at least.
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/collection...d-sx-70-cameras
The film is about 18USD for EIGHT shots
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/collection...d-sx-70-cameras

Its expensive because these are ACTUAL vintage cameras. Also, these cameras have another issue: They have to be stored COLD in order to retain quality. Meaning you need to keep the film in the firdge to preserve it. And even then, if the seller you buy it from did NOT keep it in a cool place, then the film you bought could already be defective, and you would never know it until you shoot it. So you are basically rolling the dice with these old classic cameras.

Then, there is the NEW Polaroids, that are NOT old cameras, but totally redesigned and uses a film that is also TOTALLY new and does not work with classic polaroid cameras.
They are called the i-type cameras
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/pages/new-cameras
The cameras are cheaper, but the films still need to be babied in much the same way. But it will definitely give you that low fidelity retro feel.
Films cost 15USD for 8 shots, so only slightly cheaper.

Then there is the cheapest option, shooting Fuji Instax Cameras. Fuji instax cameras are NOT vintage, and the cost per shot is about 1USD per photo, which can be brought down if you buy in bulk. The film does NOT need to be babied as much. Just don't run them multiple times through x-rays because it MAY damage the film. (think airport security)

FUji instax cameras are purely automatic, but redeems itself in the fact that its automatic exposure is pretty good. But you have little to no control. Dont expect shallow depth of field etc.

Then there is the final "pro" option, take old extremely well build professional Polaroid/ medium format film cameras, and modify them, often by splicing a fuji instax body to the vintage body, so that you have the optical quality of professional grade instant photograpjhy gear, with the convenience of instax film. These are done by modders, who sell their work often on e bay. this movement is big in the USA and in Hong Kong.

They often take films for even OLDER polaroid cameras than the ones i mentioned above, eg, the old Polaroid 110A, and splice a fuji instax wide body on it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instax-Wide-Conver...FYAAOSwIUNXFo6O

OR take the LENS of that original polaroid, and splice it unto an existing modern Fuji Instax Body
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instax-Wide-Option...tsAAOSwmCRd4q3X
Thank you for such a detailed breakdown. I had no idea that there were people modifying the older cameras for convenience. These are tempting but also very expensive.

I want to try to stay clear of the fujifilm types and would like to try experimenting more with polaroid. The i type cameras you talked about look interesting and within my budget. Are these also the instant type? From the images of it on the website i'm not sure on the control it allows me.

TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 17 2019, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ Dec 16 2019, 10:59 PM)
Other instant photography cameras include companies like MiNT, a HK company, that builds cameras from scratch (so not vintage) but made to look vintage, but are plastic (so lighter, vintage cameras usually weight 1kg and up), but charge a premium for these new plastic cameras.

https://mint-camera.com/
The cameras here look good also but the price is around USD 700!!!
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 18 2019, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

Yeah... I'm leaning towards going for the one with warranty that's new. Will definitely have to save up a lot more before getting it. The upside is that I saw some models have infinite film, so I can always just take 700 dollars worth of pictures 😂
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 23 2019, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(frossonice @ Dec 18 2019, 10:42 AM)
You can also look at modern Polaroid Snap. Not only you can print the photo right away, you can save the photo in digital format too. It is about RM800 on Lazada.
I just checked it out, it looks to me like it functions more like the HP sprocket, doesn't seem to have the same polaroid feel sad.gif
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Dec 23 2019, 11:26 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ Dec 18 2019, 10:40 PM)
i'm inclined to agree, polaroid film is harder to use than instax :/

but i know the polaroid community is still quite large. you can find the polaroid hashtags on pintrest and instagram. Probably not in malaysia though, because it is a very expensive hobby.
Initially the aim was to try to learn how the pros do it so i don't fall into the hipster group but looking at the cost (you're right it is very expensive) anything i can afford will make me look like a hipster lol
TSSky_Is_The_Limit
post Jan 9 2020, 01:34 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Baronic @ Jan 9 2020, 09:04 AM)
Fyi i just bought an old polaroid sx70.

=)[attachmentid=10395623]
Wah that looks beautiful

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0110sec    0.51    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:25 PM