> Buying Polaroid camera (Photography)

views

Baronic
post Dec 14 2019, 10:14 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

Are u looking for a USABLE old polaroid camera, or the new polaroid cameras. They used different film.if you have the money, you could get an old polaroid 110a, and pay to have it modded to an instax wide film. I had one, amazing camera. Heavy, but super old school. Fully analog.
Baronic
post Dec 16 2019, 10:57 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Dec 16 2019, 10:50 AM)
No preference for used or unused. Is the film for the camera you are talking about very hard to find? And is it expensive compared to other widely available films?
an OLD polaroid camera that still WORKS and SHOOTS film successfully, is harder to find and if you can, is expensive.

An example is an SX70. Its a very old camera, lots of them lying around, but having one working perfectly is not easy to find. If you buy a refurbushed one, it will set you back about 400USD at least.
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/collection...d-sx-70-cameras
The film is about 18USD for EIGHT shots
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/collection...d-sx-70-cameras

Its expensive because these are ACTUAL vintage cameras. Also, these cameras have another issue: They have to be stored COLD in order to retain quality. Meaning you need to keep the film in the firdge to preserve it. And even then, if the seller you buy it from did NOT keep it in a cool place, then the film you bought could already be defective, and you would never know it until you shoot it. So you are basically rolling the dice with these old classic cameras.

Then, there is the NEW Polaroids, that are NOT old cameras, but totally redesigned and uses a film that is also TOTALLY new and does not work with classic polaroid cameras.
They are called the i-type cameras
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/pages/new-cameras
The cameras are cheaper, but the films still need to be babied in much the same way. But it will definitely give you that low fidelity retro feel.
Films cost 15USD for 8 shots, so only slightly cheaper.

Then there is the cheapest option, shooting Fuji Instax Cameras. Fuji instax cameras are NOT vintage, and the cost per shot is about 1USD per photo, which can be brought down if you buy in bulk. The film does NOT need to be babied as much. Just don't run them multiple times through x-rays because it MAY damage the film. (think airport security)

FUji instax cameras are purely automatic, but redeems itself in the fact that its automatic exposure is pretty good. But you have little to no control. Dont expect shallow depth of field etc.

Then there is the final "pro" option, take old extremely well build professional Polaroid/ medium format film cameras, and modify them, often by splicing a fuji instax body to the vintage body, so that you have the optical quality of professional grade instant photograpjhy gear, with the convenience of instax film. These are done by modders, who sell their work often on e bay. this movement is big in the USA and in Hong Kong.

They often take films for even OLDER polaroid cameras than the ones i mentioned above, eg, the old Polaroid 110A, and splice a fuji instax wide body on it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instax-Wide-Conver...FYAAOSwIUNXFo6O

OR take the LENS of that original polaroid, and splice it unto an existing modern Fuji Instax Body
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Instax-Wide-Option...tsAAOSwmCRd4q3X

Baronic
post Dec 16 2019, 10:59 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

Other instant photography cameras include companies like MiNT, a HK company, that builds cameras from scratch (so not vintage) but made to look vintage, but are plastic (so lighter, vintage cameras usually weight 1kg and up), but charge a premium for these new plastic cameras.

https://mint-camera.com/
Baronic
post Dec 17 2019, 11:50 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Dec 17 2019, 04:01 PM)
The cameras here look good also but the price is around USD 700!!!
The itype are instant cameras. However you have no control, and everything is automatic. Same with the fuji instax. They are both instant film, they are both analog.

The size of the film is different.

Fuji instax films do not require as much babying compared to itype.
People tend to mod with fuji instax due to this.

Also keep in mind, this is NOT the original polaroid u know from days of old.

POLAROID as a company went bankrupt years ago. The film was revived by Impossible Film, a new company, who then bought over the Polaroid Name, and came out with the new Polaroid I Type. You can wiki more about this.
Baronic
post Dec 17 2019, 11:53 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Dec 17 2019, 04:01 PM)
The cameras here look good also but the price is around USD 700!!!
I have owned their Mint RF70 before. Very fun to use, full manual controls, plasticky / light. The only other way to have full manual control, again, is to mod.

So do you wanna spend 700 on a new camera that has warranty, and is plasticky, or 700 on a heavy ass camera, that will be way better build quality, but often to warranty? Youd have to find someone to clean the shutter mechanism for u etc because these old cameras often do not run on electricity, but the shutter speed is all spring controlled.
Baronic
post Dec 18 2019, 11:28 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(frossonice @ Dec 18 2019, 10:42 AM)
You can also look at modern Polaroid Snap. Not only you can print the photo right away, you can save the photo in digital format too. It is about RM800 on Lazada.
Digital is not analog. When you shoot analog, your sensor size is the size of the film. Fuji instax square is around medoum format (thats larger than full frame fyi) and instax wide is large format. Polaroid is also technically large format i think. If you shoot digital, your sensor size is tiny, ie handphone size. And then you print it out.
Baronic
post Dec 18 2019, 11:29 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Dec 18 2019, 10:37 AM)
Yeah... I'm leaning towards going for the one with warranty that's new. Will definitely have to save up a lot more before getting it. The upside is that I saw some models have infinite film, so I can always just take 700 dollars worth of pictures 😂
Yea i utilised their free instax films for about 2 months. They ship out every month. Just make sure u have insta and have x number of likes per their requirement. Pretty easy actually, the community is large
Baronic
post Dec 18 2019, 10:40 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Variants @ Dec 18 2019, 11:51 AM)
I can say polaroid camera is not "convenient" as its looks.
you need to topup the film and every shutter click is precious.
do you want it to be like collectibles or using it like a pro or for hipster purpose?
i'm inclined to agree, polaroid film is harder to use than instax :/

but i know the polaroid community is still quite large. you can find the polaroid hashtags on pintrest and instagram. Probably not in malaysia though, because it is a very expensive hobby.
Baronic
post Dec 19 2019, 10:54 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Variants @ Dec 19 2019, 09:24 AM)
Yes, very expensive and troublesome.

From my observation, picture of a person holding the polaroid camera more than the picture of the outcome from the polaroid camera.
well to be fair, i have owned and used an old Polaroid 110b converted to use instax wide before. it is heavy, clunky. totally analog, the only electricity running through it is to eject the film. by all accounts, it is significantly harder to get the same image quality a simple electronic camera can provide. but there is something extremely fun with winding up the shutter spring, setting the aperture within the lens. and then slowly calculating the right exposure with the light meter, and then using the range finder to find focus. and finally snap the photo. u pray and pray the photo is correctly exposed, sometimes it is, sometimes it is not if u miscalculated. but then when it is right, it is exhilirating. also, knowing that the camera u hold is a vintage camera, has a history before you were even born, is amazing.

its the journey rather than the end with these vintage cameras. i totally regret selling my old Polaroid 110b. I intend to buy one again when i am older and have the money to spare.
Baronic
post Jan 9 2020, 09:01 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Zidanefish @ Dec 26 2019, 04:40 PM)
Is there a cheaper film alternative for the One Step 2?
Sure, instax film
Baronic
post Jan 9 2020, 09:04 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Dec 13 2019, 10:44 AM)
Just saw Home Alone again 2 again and am inspired to buy a polaroid camera. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy and where to buy from? I'm thinking of the more old school type and not the instax type.
Fyi i just bought an old polaroid sx70.

=)Attached Image
Baronic
post Jan 9 2020, 10:36 AM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Zidanefish @ Dec 26 2019, 04:40 PM)
Is there a cheaper film alternative for the One Step 2?
Sorry just reread this, no, there isnt cheaper film to go with that specific camera
Baronic
post Jan 9 2020, 08:16 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Sky_Is_The_Limit @ Jan 9 2020, 01:34 PM)
Wah that looks beautiful
It is! Its like 50 years old. Got one, and refurbished and cleaned it myself and got it working. If you want, i can hunt and bring one home for u as well
Baronic
post Apr 6 2020, 07:57 PM

Problem?
Group Icon
Staff
7,464 posts

QUOTE(Diamondhead @ Mar 27 2020, 01:30 PM)
Where did you buy one? and how much was it?
i'm from the US where there are many of them. getting one that is actually working is a gamble, but there are people here who fully refurbish them, openning them up and replacing all working parts with "new old parts".

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    1.04    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th April 2020 - 06:18 PM