Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Which telco has better indoor coverage?, Should I terminate my contract?

views

TSmiyakochan89
post Dec 10 2019, 08:28 AM, updated 5y ago

Wut?
6,615 posts

Thinking to terminate my Celcom contract (has 8 months left) since im suffering from its poor indoor coverage in my office. Even though it shows 4G but it moves like 2G. Does Maxis has better indoor coverage? It seems like my colleagues sitting around me who use Maxis/Hotlink do not suffer the same fate, and their phones are like 3~5 years older than mine. URGH. Should i do that? If i pay penalty and port it, would it take long? Payment record is consistent.
Zot
post Dec 10 2019, 08:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

Whichever has closer cell station near your office will have better indoor coverage. That's all. Similar rule applies to any places you plan to use your 4G smile.gif
sHawTY
post Dec 10 2019, 08:42 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

Buy their prepaid SIM card then test by yourself. Because you also need to identify if their coverage is good at your house too
Having full coverage & good speed at the office alone is not enough. You also need to identify which perform better at home as well

Do a direct comparison between Maxis, Celcom & Digi, don't just rely on 1 telco
For me, I've tested all of the big telcos in Malaysia, Celcom, Maxis, Digi & UMobile before I make a decision on which Pospaid to register

Home Coverage: 1 is the lowest, 4 is the highest
1. UMobile
2. Celcom
3. Maxis
4. Digi

Office Coverage: 1 is the lowest, 4 is the highest
1. Celcom
2. UMobile
3. Digi
4. Maxis

But Digi speeds is always the fastest in both areas eventhough Maxis has better coverage at my office
So I picked Digi & with VoLTE, I'm enjoying them even more

No, not promoting Digi, you just have to test all the telco by yourself to experience which one is the best for you
Don't rely on what you see on your friend's phone
TSmiyakochan89
post Dec 10 2019, 08:57 AM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Dec 10 2019, 08:42 AM)
Buy their prepaid SIM card then test by yourself. Because you also need to identify if their coverage is good at your house too
Having full coverage & good speed at the office alone is not enough. You also need to identify which perform better at home as well

For me, I've tested all of the big telcos in Malaysia, Celcom, Maxis, Digi & UMobile before I make a decision on which Pospaid to register

1. UMobile
2. Celcom
3. Maxis
4. Digi

1. Celcom
2. UMobile
3. Digi
4. Maxis

But Digi speeds is always the fastest in both areas eventhough Maxis has better coverage at my office

No, not promoting Digi, you just have to test all the telco by yourself to experience which one is the best for you
At my home, celcom seems to be doing ok, and i believe that maxis will as well cause my home is at a busy satellite city. Also i mainly use wifi when im at home, cause my home broadband is so much faster. it's just that in the office, it's such a suffer! While it's ok when i get out of the buildings but the moment I enter, it sucksssssss again. :<

Digi is a no no. one or two years back I tried it, the line is really terrible indoor as well as near my home. But I am not sure how it is like now.
sHawTY
post Dec 10 2019, 09:49 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Dec 10 2019, 08:57 AM)
i believe that maxis will as well cause my home is at a busy satellite city
You can't know for sure until you've experienced it yourself
That's why I advise you to buy the prepaid sims first to test it out before you actually MNP to Maxis/Digi
azhar75
post Dec 10 2019, 10:56 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,524 posts

Coverage and line stability depends on which smartphone / antenna quality. Cell towers are fixed. However, cell tower congestion will effect line quality as well.

If we can MNP to cheaper monthly commitment, please proceed. But if MNP to more expensive plan, better get additional prepaid SIM acting as Secondary line as backup to compensate the "weakness" of Primary line. We presume you are referring to slow data in this context.

For my case to avoid indoor/basement parking slow data issues:
Primary line = UMobile GX50
Secondary line = OneXOX Non-Black with 500MB/month Season Pass.

Whenever the data of Primary line is not reliable, I just switch to Secondary line to have better "connectivity". Indoor usage for my case are e-Wallet payment, A-GPS triangulation, and replying email/WhatsApp/others. Calls & SMS always good for Primary line.

"Sometimes" we need to switch to HSDPA/3G connection to have more reliable & better experience. Try this first before any further action(s)...

This post has been edited by azhar75: Dec 10 2019, 11:04 AM
lurkingaround
post Dec 10 2019, 01:11 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Dec 10 2019, 08:28 AM)
Thinking to terminate my Celcom contract (has 8 months left) since im suffering from its poor indoor coverage in my office. Even though it shows 4G but it moves like 2G. Does Maxis has better indoor coverage? It seems like my colleagues sitting around me who use Maxis/Hotlink do not suffer the same fate, and their phones are like 3~5 years older than mine. URGH. Should i do that? If i pay penalty and port it, would it take long? Payment record is consistent.
Yes, only Maxis and Unifi Mobile has good indoor 4G cell signal reception because they can use lower frequency; .......

Khazanah-owned-TM Unifi Mobile = 4G LTE Band 5 @ 850MHz.
MIC-linked Maxis = Band 8 @ 900MHz.

The other not-so-strong-cabled mobile telcos can only use the higher 2400MHz(= Band 7 = U-Mobile, Yes, Digi, Maxis, Celcom) or the slightly-better 1800MHz(= Band 3 = Khazanah owned-Celcom), which are easily blocked by walls and glass windows.

Imagine, 5G in city areas will be mostly using mmWave 24GHz to 86GHz, eg via many many small cells erected atop lamp-posts = more like Wifi home-routers. Only 5G outside city areas will be mostly using mid-band 600MHz to 6GHz, eg via cell towers erected atop mid-rise buildings.

WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 10 2019, 01:14 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

Indoor coverage is building management responsibility iinm.
PJng
post Dec 10 2019, 02:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,545 posts

1. UMobile
2. Celcom
3. Maxis
4. Digi

1. Celcom
2. UMobile
3. Digi
4. Maxis

On some kampung area, digi not stable, weak
JLA
post Dec 10 2019, 03:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,299 posts

QUOTE(PJng @ Dec 10 2019, 02:05 PM)
On some kampung area, digi not stable, weak
it digi LTE tower setting
digi 115dbm start going to emergency while hotlink, celcom, unifi 130dbm still connected to 4G.
zher4883
post Dec 10 2019, 03:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 10 2019, 01:14 PM)
Indoor coverage is building management responsibility iinm.
You seems to know quite a bit on how building management works. Care to elaborate how are they responsible?
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 10 2019, 04:05 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(zher4883 @ Dec 10 2019, 03:48 PM)
You seems to know quite a bit on how building management works. Care to elaborate how are they responsible?
They need to install signal booster in the building.

If u see these kind of cones on the ceiling that is the signal booster
user posted image
zher4883
post Dec 10 2019, 05:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,490 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 10 2019, 04:05 PM)
They need to install signal booster in the building.

If u see these kind of cones on the ceiling that is the signal booster
user posted image
But if the network operator refuse to install in all the equipment, management can't install on their own accord legally.
TSmiyakochan89
post Dec 13 2019, 08:20 AM

Wut?
6,615 posts

1. UMobile
2. Celcom
3. Maxis
4. Digi

1. Celcom
2. UMobile
3. Digi
4. Maxis

I actually changed to Maxis now and the indoor line is so damn fast, as expected from 4G. Thankfully i did that otherwise I would be stuck too many nightmares!
Theoutspokenguy
post Dec 13 2019, 09:36 AM

I buwee ktards ke ke
4,602 posts

I think maxis overall is goood
TSmiyakochan89
post Dec 13 2019, 10:01 AM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(Theoutspokenguy @ Dec 13 2019, 09:36 AM)
I think maxis overall is goood
Yeah but I used Celcom cause I used to travel to remoted islands and Celcom is the only one that always has line. But now being indoor mostly, I need to change. Hopefully no crazy hidden charges in my bills later.
westlife
post Dec 15 2019, 07:00 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,311 posts

Maxis > Celcom.

The rest I will not consider.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:31 PM