post Dec 12 2019, 01:22 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Is 8% P.A. over 25 years possible?
Yes.

Is 8% P.A. over 25 years guaranteed?
No.

Should people try to achieve 8% P.A. over 25 years anyway?
Yes.

Does the average Joe/Jane have the knowledge/access to achieve that?
No.

Is Ralna trying to encourage people to hit the target numbers she presented?
Yes.

Are most of the readers/people on the street able to hit the target numbers Ralna presented?
No.

Financial Planning is one half of the equation. The other half is Financial Flexibility, the ability to adapt to changing environment: medical cost of child (critical illness/accident) or yourself/spouse, loss of salary/income/home, forced relocation, legal issues etc. As others have posted, being able to change your lifestyle when need be is essential.

We try to give the best to our children, even if the best we could give is far below certain benchmark(s). So just keep your cool if/when shit hits the fan, and your family will be fine.
nekokun
post Dec 12 2019, 04:10 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ Dec 4 2019, 10:33 PM)
I have some questions.

1) Have you ever calculated how much is needed to raise a child in Msia until at least 18 years old?

2) If you have, what made you took the leap (knowing it is VERY expensive)?

3) Does the cost scare you? This goes especially to the men who are supposed to be the provider.
1. Roughly planning to put aside RM300k-RM500k including college if possible (standard degrees).

2. Just felt ready enough to take on the challenge. Or maybe I just needed a reason to play with toys. Who knows.

3. Expectations were already set in place, wife wanted it as cheap as possible, I wanted somewhere in the middle at least.

Note: I was given the weirdest unsolicited advice a few years ago. When you have to take a shit but stuck in traffic, you will somehow put a lot more effort into making sure you make it to the toilet. And in most cases, you can successfully get to the toilet. So if you really want it, you will do what you can to ensure you get it. So you decide yourself what is considered "expensive" and plan on how to achieve it.

Sadly, I have no idea why this shitty advice is stuck with me.
TSBLKH3
post Dec 13 2019, 03:48 AM

Casual
471 posts

Why you guys decide to have babies although all the reasons (financial, time, effort etc) says a huge NO? Is the urge to procreate that strong?
cc980024
post Dec 13 2019, 10:21 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ Dec 13 2019, 03:48 AM)
Why you guys decide to have babies although all the reasons (financial, time, effort etc) says a huge NO? Is the urge to procreate that strong?
We decide not to have kid as we don't want to be bother about parenting, we are not sure we can afford, and we are not that fancy about babies. But aduh... accident happen, and we don't do things against god's will. Looking around knowing many couple having hard time to conceive, saw heartbroken people due to failure to carry the unborn to full term. I did wonder why god don't just give the baby to them, why us?

FYI, when I suspect I accidentally conceived, next thing I was eating half a watermelon, drink green bean soup.. those food that people say may cause miscarriage. But he just tough sticking around tongue.gif And I did have high BP due to job stress all along, but during pregnancy.. my BP was perfect, sugar, heartbeat, etc.. all are at the most perfect reading ever! After thinking awhile, I sees this as a mission given. There must be a reason that god want us to have him (instead of those couple who wanted and needed a child so much).

We were selected to be his parents, feeling just like your boss chosen you for a project because your boss have faith in you. Is no longer a question whether you want or don't want. Is already your job to do and having the thought that "you are selected for good", motivates us. If he turns out well, our mission accomplish. If he turns out bad, we are accountable and answerable to it. Anyway we always pray "god, please no more another accident.. this is not a joke". But obviously, we thank god for this because if without him.. I think me and hubby will bored to death.. having to look at each other with no focus, no objective and don't have a kid to keep us busy.

That's why I always say, those who happily plan for few kids without even have the first one. Don't plan too much, get yourself conceive first. Because baby is not something that everyone can plan. Besides having friends who waiting years still yet to conceive. I actually got a friend planned for 3. But to-date she got 5 daughters. Because what she planned earlier was 3 kids (expecting got boy inside). After 3rd baby girl, she still think 4th can be boy but end up now 5 girls. The youngest few months old, so now I still don't know whether next year she will share another preggy photo in FB or not. Pity.
SUSDezs
post Dec 13 2019, 05:19 PM

On my way
623 posts

QUOTE(Ralna @ Dec 5 2019, 11:01 PM)
So you think it's not possible?
Old unker passing by -> my active portfolio returned 17% in 2018. Of course, this year is pretty bad but divs are running and companies still look sound. Would be nice to break 2019 at 6% - but depends on a few key positions.

My passive portfolio got me 5-7% in 2018, and this year about 3-5% projected. But positive mostly from PNB - those under unit trust by HLA and PB seem to be doing pretty weak - barely 2%.

FD's on promos return 4-4.5% guaranteed as always.

8pc on an active portfolio is probably pretty fair as long as you're maintaining it. Unker can't make kiddos yet as need to prepare for a shitty growth env next year. But at least stable anf can fully jaga sendiri and fiance.
SUSNew Klang
post Jan 15 2020, 12:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

I would estimate it to be around 200K-300K from birth till 18 years old.

RUI
post Jan 15 2020, 01:37 AM

Enthusiast
722 posts

Here’s my take although I’m not married yet.

I will disown the kid if the fella cost more than me. Nothing like the old man or the one before.

My dad didn’t give me much. But I’m grateful of what he gave me. A complete body. A sound mind. The fighting ability and what I appreciate the most, the freedom to pursue in any direction i want since young.

I think anything more than basic necessities wouldn’t put the kid Further ahead. For us if we want the best for our next generation; better focus on good parenting. History has proven we can’t connect the dots forward. Better do your best and live today than to worry about tomorrow.

P.S. If he cost RM1mil. I’m pretty damm sure my RM1mil compounded over 25 years can do whole lot better job of taking care of me than the fella. =D

This post has been edited by RUI: Jan 15 2020, 01:39 AM
blackpink
post Jan 15 2020, 11:59 AM

Getting Started
116 posts

never listen to Ralna, she dont have kids yet but talk like like having bunch of kids. talk easy la
Ralna
post Jan 16 2020, 08:13 AM

Casual
388 posts

QUOTE(blackpink @ Jan 15 2020, 11:59 AM)
never listen to Ralna, she dont have kids yet but talk like like having bunch of kids. talk easy la
Money can solve many problems. The problem is you don't have enough money. smile.gif

Rather than trolling here, you should move you ass to earn more since you have bunch of kids... or not. All talk no action only. Cheh
blackpink
post Jan 16 2020, 09:35 AM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Ralna @ Jan 16 2020, 08:13 AM)
Money can solve many problems. The problem is you don't have enough money. smile.gif

Rather than trolling here, you should move you ass to earn more since you have bunch of kids... or not. All talk no action only. Cheh
you dont know me and talk about money? money can solve anything you sure?
aleluya
post Jan 16 2020, 05:16 PM

I'm Teh Powah!
1,133 posts

I have some questions.

1) Have you ever calculated how much is needed to raise a child in Msia until at least 18 years old?

3) Does the cost scare you? This goes especially to the men who are supposed to be the provider.
Here are my replies:
1) It costs as much as a Ferrari but in installments

2) Once you have reached certain age and over the honeymoon period. You will automatically be ready to have a mini you. The time differ from person to person, so it's okay to have them late - but not too late (Human biological issue). They bring you a lot of things - in most, joy - something that you might not be expecting - but yes they do. And they also cost you a lot of time, energy and mental.

3) Yes it does, but there are different costs - you can opt to what you can provide. For example, you can use clothes diapers rather than pampers, saved you a lot. Buy or take used craddles and etc, after all usually parents use about 3 - 6 months and then no longer use them. Still very brand new.. There are always ways to save money.
McFD2R
post Jan 17 2020, 06:01 PM

Regular
1,074 posts

QUOTE(blackpink @ Jan 16 2020, 09:35 AM)
you dont know me and talk about money? money can solve anything you sure?
She said money can solve many problems. She did not say anything. If she did, then you and I would be on the same page.
cc980024
post Jan 20 2020, 11:58 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Jan 15 2020, 12:10 AM)
I would estimate it to be around 200K-300K from birth till 18 years old.
After 18years old.. if not going in government institution.. may need another 200-300K tongue.gif

And maybe my circle is not broad enough, have been many many years never heard ppl around me enrol in to Govt institution. All go private. Not sure is by choice they don't want or they didn't manage to get. Looking at the trend, need to prepare a big chunk for kids' tertiary education.
SUSNew Klang
post Feb 19 2020, 05:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

Yesterday I estimated for a child till university education to be about 0.5 million if local private uni and 1 million for overseas uni.

J1g54w
post Feb 20 2020, 08:01 AM

Regular
1,449 posts

I have some questions.

1. Anyone can raise a child, even in African villages, South-American slums or inside refugees camp. The cost is in the nurturing. How good of a life must you want for your kid?

2 and 3.
I don’t have, but based on observations, most people’s reason to have kids is for selfish reasons:

“people have, I also want to have”
“it’s the ‘next’ stage in life”
“parents want it”
“babies are cute”
“want the parenting experience”

You can’t consult the kid before he’s born. Can’t ask him “do you want to be my kid, growing up in my family? have this kind of life background?”

So to me, if I can’t give my kid a T20 life, can’t have all the time I want to nurture him, I’d rather not bring him into this world. Some may say this is extreme because that means like most people should not even have kids. Well hear me out, wouldn’t you agree that the world can be a better place and have less suffering if there are more quality kids who grew up to be quality adults? It’s just the reality of how society works.

This post has been edited by J1g54w: Feb 20 2020, 08:06 AM
cc980024
post Feb 20 2020, 11:41 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(J1g54w @ Feb 20 2020, 08:01 AM)
1. Anyone can raise a child, even in African villages, South-American slums or inside refugees camp. The cost is in the nurturing. How good of a life must you want for your kid?

2 and 3.
I don’t have, but based on observations, most people’s reason to have kids is for selfish reasons:
Impressively all the points you raised up, I get through each of it in my life and yet can't escape fate.

- both our parents say "ppl have, you have, not so odd" and we replied "you are free to be granny, we are not free to be parents"
“it’s the ‘next’ stage in life” - our parents say this and we replied "we never know kids is compulsory, otherwise will not get married"
“parents want it” - the above 2 response we use to reject them all along
“babies are cute” - yes to play with only.. not for responsibility and accountability
“want the parenting experience” - no way..

So to me, if I can’t give my kid a T20 life, can’t have all the time I want to nurture him, I’d rather not bring him into this world.Some may say this is extreme because that means like most people should not even have kids. Well hear me out, wouldn’t you agree that the world can be a better place and have less suffering if there are more quality kids who grew up to be quality adults? It’s just the reality of how society works. we totally agree to this and one of the reason we plan not to have in the first place. We are always worried that we produce spoilt brat.

But in the end, accident strikes! Now.. we have a fella tags along.

You can’t consult the kid before he’s born. Can’t ask him “do you want to be my kid, growing up in my family? have this kind of life background?” -- tell you a joke. We actually tease our boy "who ask you come to my womb?" and he replied "who ask you 2 so naughty wanna play play? God send me here to keep an eye on you 2!"

This post has been edited by cc980024: Feb 20 2020, 11:42 AM
Daddy2be
post Feb 20 2020, 03:49 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Feb 20 2020, 11:41 AM)
Impressively all the points you raised up, I get through each of it in my life and yet can't escape fate.

- both our parents say "ppl have, you have, not so odd" and we replied "you are free to be granny, we are not free to be parents"
“it’s the ‘next’ stage in life” - our parents say this and we replied "we never know kids is compulsory, otherwise will not get married"
“parents want it” - the above 2 response we use to reject them all along
“babies are cute” -  yes to play with only.. not for responsibility and accountability
“want the parenting experience” - no way..

So to me, if I can’t give my kid a T20 life, can’t have all the time I want to nurture him, I’d rather not bring him into this world.Some may say this is extreme because that means like most people should not even have kids. Well hear me out, wouldn’t you agree that the world can be a better place and have less suffering if there are more quality kids who grew up to be quality adults? It’s just the reality of how society works. we totally agree to this and one of the reason we plan not to have in the first place. We are always worried that we produce spoilt brat.

But in the end, accident strikes! Now.. we have a fella tags along.

You can’t consult the kid before he’s born. Can’t ask him “do you want to be my kid, growing up in my family? have this kind of life background?” -- tell you a joke. We actually tease our boy "who ask you come to my womb?" and he replied "who ask you 2 so naughty wanna play play? God send me here to keep an eye on you 2!"
Congrats on your happy accident rclxms.gif

zzzz52
post Feb 21 2020, 02:20 PM

Weeeeeeeeee
1,142 posts

QUOTE(J1g54w @ Feb 20 2020, 08:01 AM)

2 and 3.

“it’s the ‘next’ stage in life”
“parents want it”
“babies are cute”
“want the parenting experience”

You can’t consult the kid before he’s born. Can’t ask him “do you want to be my kid, growing up in my family? have this kind of life background?”

So to me, if I can’t give my kid a T20 life, can’t have all the time I want to nurture him, I’d rather not bring him into this world. Some may say this is extreme because that means like most people should not even have kids. Well hear me out, wouldn’t you agree that the world can be a better place and have less suffering if there are more quality kids who grew up to be quality adults? It’s just the reality of how society works.
I'm totally on the same page as you here. All the reasons are selfish. And for most, when you press them on these reason, they normal answer is don;t think so much.

But the world is having all this problem and one of the super BIG cause is over population.... but of course -> human rights, right? Each person have the right to his or her choosing. So... in the end, nothing to say anyway as it leads to no where.

So finally it boils down to -> whatever lar... so be it.
J1g54w
post Feb 21 2020, 04:13 PM

Regular
1,449 posts

QUOTE(zzzz52 @ Feb 21 2020, 02:20 PM)
I'm totally on the same page as you here. All the reasons are selfish. And for most, when you press them on these reason, they normal answer is don;t think so much.

But the world is having all this problem and one of the super BIG cause is over population.... but of course -> human rights, right? Each person have the right to his or her choosing. So... in the end, nothing to say anyway as it leads to no where.

So finally it boils down to -> whatever lar... so be it.
Sorry to be off-topic but whenever ppl mention overpopulation, I’ll say we don’t have overpopulation, because all the people in the world can fit inside Texas state and still have more space than Hong Kong slum rooms each.

We do however, have overconsumption. That is, human’s relentless pillaging of natural resources and wasting them as a result of capitalism-driven “consumption-for-growth” economy will run the environment down to an inhabitable state which will spell our doom.

The Earth will do fine, it will still be here for a billion years as a floating rock in space. But those who live on it probably not.
Docile
post Feb 27 2020, 02:46 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

Never counted, but you need alot of money

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:09 PM