Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Used car advice, Mazda 6, Sonata, X-trail, CX-5, santa-fe

views

wkc5657
post Dec 6 2019, 03:03 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(neo_6053 @ Dec 6 2019, 01:46 PM)
ya, interior is part of it.. others like fuel consumption, maintenance cost, comfortableness, reliability, whether easily broken, boot space, safety, airbags, whether enough workshop that knows how to repair, accessories.. and perhaps other real life experience about the car ..
example, i just knew the roadtax for 2.5 vs 2.0 is RM500 difference! that makes me want to forget about 2.5 since i dont really need that much power.
ya, my friend also suggesting me an SUV... but when i look into the SUV spec, i found their boot space is not that bigger actually, dunno about the interior space... i wonder is SUV just a taller , bigger car from the outside.. i guess i need to test drive one ..

unfortunately, mazda 6 2015 facelift version is much more expensive .. i heard the interior is much much better than the 2014 ..
Bigger car = heavier car = more fuel consumption, can never run away with physics.

All those cars listed are fairly ok, other than nissan with the infamous cvt transmission breakdown. It is not common but not that uncommon either, just change the fluid a little earlier than stated change intervals and don't drive like a maniac with it.

Nissan and korean cars, you can have more space to negotiate further discounts, as malaysian market mentality is toyota/honda = best. Korean cars do have some neat little small details that other similar competitor cars don't have like, handbrake release chime reminder, auto volume down when engage reverse, better roof sound proofing, safety jacket+first aid kit (no kidding, hope that the car dealer don't remove it), etc.

As i mentioned earlier, the cars in your list, even those unpopular korean cars, are really just normal cars, nothing complicated to service, any normal mechanic can service them for those normal maintenance jobs. Reliability wise, i don't think it is much of an issue with my family's experience of the diesel santa fe, just undergo regular maintenance only. But for their petrol engine, have the slight downside of slightly slower response and slightly worse fuel consumption. But very much dependent on how you drive it.

Go test drive all cars to your content. A tip is that just don't buy a car for a feature that you only use once it a blue moon. Example, must have boot that can easily stuff 4 large travel cases or can ferry lots of stuff when balik kampung. Unless you taxi driver or you really travel a lot with your family, you don't need something like this. In these special occasions, hire an MPV or rent another car, rather than being laden with the extra loan repayment for years.
SUSAllnGap
post Dec 6 2019, 05:52 PM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Dec 6 2019, 11:38 AM)
Why is this an issue of practicality since you put it under your shortlist?

Same sedan car like camry.
oil change/brake fluid change/brake pad change/radiator flush/etc, those normal stuff, price similar like camry lar....those work shop say cost more expensive for this kind of normal maintenance job, you can just walk off. Mazda is really just normal car la....not like supercar which need to dismantle this and that just to do some simple maintenance. You go look at the engine bay, so much space to work around. You scared what major cost? Top overhaul job, you do for your normal camry/accord car, the mechanic also recommend you get the original seals and gaskets.

Those people cry foul say part expensive, because too used to buy REPLICA part made in taiwan/china which is much more abundant for toyota/honda and cheap. Quality is dubious, i changed my old vios rear bearing 3 times already within 5 years, in the end costs more than getting the original part in one go. Those unknown brake pad pretty much destroyed my brake disc, ended up serious uneven surface on the brake disc. Really, if proper OEM/original part cost, similar like toyota/honda.

Transmission fluid change a little expensive, SC charge 185 for 4L inclusive of labour. If do outside, just 30-40 cheaper, the fluid itself is a little more expensive but change every 50k km. If cannot swallow this, please don't drive d segment or even c segment car. Because nowadays workshop start charging based on the size/prestige brand level of the car, even though the job time not too much apart than regular car.
Your ATF oil change at 50,000km ??
Mine change at 30,000km already dark kopi colour d

This post has been edited by AllnGap: Dec 6 2019, 06:06 PM
khaiandrew
post Dec 6 2019, 09:26 PM

Fuji <3
1,268 posts

QUOTE(Aloha31TEC @ Dec 6 2019, 08:33 AM)
How much is the outside workshop maintenance cost? For minor and major service.A bit curious!
Normal engine oil change service every 10k km is about 300-400? Major service about 1k +-. Not that bad.
kembayang
post Dec 7 2019, 09:02 AM

Regular
1,320 posts

If you are looking for Santa Fe get the diesel type. You will be amazed with the performance, fuel consumption and the durability, but sacrifice on resale value.
tsg_7
post Dec 7 2019, 09:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,223 posts

QUOTE(kembayang @ Dec 7 2019, 09:02 AM)
If you are looking for Santa Fe get the diesel type. You will be amazed with the performance, fuel consumption and the durability, but sacrifice on resale value.
Since TS bought used car, there is nothing to worried about resale value. If TS buy new car, then this thing need to put into consideration.
kembayang
post Dec 7 2019, 09:20 AM

Regular
1,320 posts

QUOTE(tsg_7 @ Dec 7 2019, 09:14 AM)
Since TS bought used car, there is nothing to worried about resale value. If TS buy new car, then this thing need to put into consideration.
Quite a fews here who helped me to narrow down for the suitable car based on my criteria.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4856081&hl=

At /k humanity restored.
TSneo_6053
post Dec 7 2019, 01:51 PM

On my way
642 posts

QUOTE(kembayang @ Dec 7 2019, 09:20 AM)
Quite a fews here who helped me to narrow down for the suitable car based on my criteria.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4856081&hl=

At /k humanity restored.
cool, what you get in the end? brows.gif
kembayang
post Dec 7 2019, 04:49 PM

Regular
1,320 posts

QUOTE(neo_6053 @ Dec 7 2019, 01:51 PM)
cool, what you get in the end?  brows.gif
The 2009 diesel version.
tsg_7
post Dec 7 2019, 11:23 PM