Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How do I point my domain name to an IP

views

TSLord Tiki Mick
post Dec 4 2019, 08:09 PM, updated 3 months ago

Enthusiast
949 posts

I've bought a domain but I don't wish to use a hosting since I wanna setup the server my self. The server is just my laptop and my modem is only assigned to a dynamic IP. Is it possible for me to assign my domain to this IP? What are the steps?
GOPI56
post Dec 4 2019, 08:23 PM

Enthusiast
870 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Dec 4 2019, 09:09 PM)
I've bought a domain but I don't wish to use a hosting since I wanna setup the server my self. The server is just my laptop and my modem is only assigned to a dynamic IP. Is it possible for me to assign my domain to this IP? What are the steps?
It depends on what you are planning to host on the server. What are you planning to host?

You can use service such as Cloudflare by pointing the domain name to your server's public IP address, and install Cloudflare tool on your server to auto change IP when it detects IP address change.

This post has been edited by GOPI56: Dec 4 2019, 08:30 PM
TSLord Tiki Mick
post Dec 4 2019, 08:51 PM

Enthusiast
949 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Dec 4 2019, 08:23 PM)
It depends on what you are planning to host on the server. What are you planning to host?

You can use service such as Cloudflare by pointing the domain name to your server's public IP address, and install Cloudflare tool on your server to auto change IP when it detects IP address change.
I think I've solve this. I can now access my website and it points to my dynamic IP. brows.gif

The steps are:
  • Visit my domain registrar
  • Got to manage DNS and add new zone
  • Set the zone to point to my dynamic IP
  • Edit my /etc/hosts to include the following:
    CODE

0.0.0.0    myhostname.com
    0.0.0.0    www.myhostname.com
  • Start my webserver
  • Wait for it to propagate
  • Test using my phone that connects to mobile carrier
  • Profit! rclxm9.gif