Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis exorbitant charges

views

TSQuickFire
post Dec 2 2019, 11:02 AM, updated 5y ago

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

I know there's the RM38/day roaming plan. I don't need it.

I did however receive a call while in Taiwan and accidentally answered for a whole or 2 seconds. I was charged RM 10.

I did send two SMSes while in Singapore. I was charged RM 5 for each SMS.

I find the charges beyond distasteful. It's daylight robbery. Called them and they agreed to waive the incoming call charge but maintained that the SMS charges are fair and there's nothing they can do.

Not too long ago I remember it was RM1 per SMS, which I thought was fair. To increase this to RM5...is crazy.

Not to mention their local 4G coverage has been shit for the past 3-4 months. The phone signal bar shows full strength but there are way too many intermittent drop in data coverage, even in the heart of KL. A few of my friends have mentioned the same thing.

Maybe it's time to port out to another operator...
jimmy.soo
post Dec 2 2019, 11:14 AM

Happy Go Lucky
1,039 posts

alvinf
post Dec 2 2019, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
236 posts

Yeah Maxis have been so shitty lately, cant justify paying premium for their services. I will surely port out if i can.
LarryPizzaGuy
post Dec 2 2019, 11:17 AM

/k 20k Club (Verified)
879 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 2 2019, 11:02 AM)

I did however receive a call while in Taiwan and accidentally answered for a whole or 2 seconds. I was charged RM 10.

I find the charges beyond distasteful. It's daylight robbery. Called them and they agreed to waive the incoming call charge but maintained that the SMS charges are fair and there's nothing they can do.

Not too long ago I remember it was RM1 per SMS, which I thought was fair. To increase this to RM5...is crazy.

Not to mention their local 4G coverage has been shit for the past 3-4 months. The phone signal bar shows full strength but there are way too many intermittent drop in data coverage, even in the heart of KL. A few of my friends have mentioned the same thing.

Which is why Maxis came up with their Maxis One Plan International Roaming.

For RM38 a day, in specific countries (especially Singapore), you'd get unlimited calls and text in/out Singapore, plus 500MB of data.

Yes, RM38 might seem a lot to others, however its a pretty good alternative if you need a temporary connection.

Your best option is to purchase a local number instead of roaming on Maxis.

https://www.maxis.com.my/lifestyle/roaming-...tional-roaming/

---

IMO, I've tried all the carriers in Malaysia, Maxis is still the best in terms of coverage and excellent customer service. The downside is that you have to pay a premium for it.

Its the best that we are offered for now.. compared to the competition, the others is just shit......
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 2 2019, 11:21 AM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 2 2019, 11:02 AM)

FYI even if u didnt pickup the call, and it goes to voicemail. U are still charged because when connected to voicemail its considered "picked up".

Yes i kena before because i activated roaming and received call but i didnt pickup and it goes to voicemail. later i check bill kena charged.

But cant remember Digi or Maxshit liao.
TSQuickFire
post Dec 2 2019, 11:26 AM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(LarryPizzaGuy @ Dec 2 2019, 11:17 AM)
Which is why Maxis came up with their Maxis One Plan International Roaming.

For RM38 a day, in specific countries (especially Singapore), you'd get unlimited calls and text in/out Singapore, plus 500MB of data.

Yes, RM38 might seem a lot to others, however its a pretty good alternative if you need a temporary connection.

Your best option is to purchase a local number instead of roaming on Maxis.

https://www.maxis.com.my/lifestyle/roaming-...tional-roaming/

---

IMO, I've tried all the carriers in Malaysia, Maxis is still the best in terms of coverage and excellent customer service. The downside is that you have to pay a premium for it.

Its the best that we are offered for now.. compared to the competition, the others is just shit......
I know there's the 38/day roaming plan. I don't need it. All I need is to perhaps reply to one or two urgent SMSes, now I can't even do that without being robbed. I mean, RM1 or 2 per message would still be bearable but now if I send 4 SMSes I'd be charged RM20.

It's like Maxis heard about all the complaints about the hundreds of dollars per day in roaming charges that VPs in corporations rack up, decided to cap it at RM38/day but also decided to fuck those with minimal usage by charging 5 per SMS and 10 for 2 secs of incoming call, all in the name of "evening things out" so that their profits remain the same as before.
LarryPizzaGuy
post Dec 2 2019, 11:32 AM

/k 20k Club (Verified)
879 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 2 2019, 11:26 AM)
I know there's the 38/day roaming plan. I don't need it. All I need is to perhaps reply to one or two urgent SMSes, now I can't even do that without being robbed. I mean, RM1 or 2 per message would still be bearable but now if I send 4 SMSes I'd be charged RM20.

It's like Maxis heard about all the complaints about the hundreds of dollars per day in roaming charges that VPs in corporations rack up, decided to cap it at RM38/day but also decided to fuck those with minimal usage by charging 5 per SMS and 10 for 2 secs of incoming call, all in the name of "evening things out" so that their profits remain the same as before.
I know, I understand your frustration....

I too would like to have a more cheaper option to roam without exorbitant charges..

However that is the best option that we are given for now... and we are just stuck with it...

---

My advise if you travel frequently overseas..

Just get a local number with data plan (some plans are about RM38 for a week of validity).

You can communicate with your friends/family/clients through Whatsapp/Viber/Facetime/Skype/etc..

Or else.... stick to RM38 a day roaming.
TSQuickFire
post Dec 2 2019, 11:57 AM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(LarryPizzaGuy @ Dec 2 2019, 11:32 AM)
I know, I understand your frustration....

I too would like to have a more cheaper option to roam without exorbitant charges..

However that is the best option that we are given for now... and we are just stuck with it...

---

My advise if you travel frequently overseas..

Just get a local number with data plan (some plans are about RM38 for a week of validity).

You can communicate with your friends/family/clients through Whatsapp/Viber/Facetime/Skype/etc..

Or else.... stick to RM38 a day roaming.
Yeah, actually I almost always get a local SIM card when travelling. It's just that at times while aboard you do receive a couple of unplanned texts that you need to reply urgently to. What Maxis says now is this: yes you can respond to a couple of urgent texts, but we'll fucking rip you off while you do it.
LarryPizzaGuy
post Dec 2 2019, 12:02 PM

/k 20k Club (Verified)
879 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 2 2019, 11:57 AM)
Yeah, actually I almost always get a local SIM card when travelling. It's just that at times while aboard you do receive a couple of unplanned texts that you need to reply urgently to. What Maxis says now is this: yes you can respond to a couple of urgent texts, but we'll fucking rip you off while you do it.
Sigh... what to do.. am I right???

You port out.. you're still gonna face the same thing with another carrier...

We are stuck with this sort of capitalism..

#YouTakSukaYouGunaLain

Best we can do is it outsmart/find alternatives around it.
TSQuickFire
post Dec 2 2019, 12:15 PM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(LarryPizzaGuy @ Dec 2 2019, 12:02 PM)
Sigh... what to do.. am I right???

You port out.. you're still gonna face the same thing with another carrier...

We are stuck with this sort of capitalism..

#YouTakSukaYouGunaLain

Best we can do is it outsmart/find alternatives around it.
Yeah, sad state of affairs.
TSQuickFire
post Dec 2 2019, 04:12 PM

2,865 posts

Update: I complained and someone from Maxis called me. Tried to explain again about the roaming package and 1 SMS is RM5, 2 SMSes is RM10, and get this... If you send 3 SMSes, it auto enrols you into the RM38/day plan. What a shocker. So if you only send 3 SMSes from abroad in one day, you'll be paying RM38 for that day. Sure, after that there is no more additional cost to sending more texts or using data, but if you just somehow wanted to send a few texts that's what you'll be charged.
ed0gawa
post Dec 7 2019, 01:06 PM

coconut
4,397 posts

Well, I kena before.

Tried calling a customer while I was in Singapore,but the call got into answering machine, twice. And I sent another 3 or so sms.

BAAAMMM...charged RM38

FUCK YOU @MAXIS

TSQuickFire
post Dec 11 2019, 11:10 AM

2,865 posts

QUOTE(ed0gawa @ Dec 7 2019, 01:06 PM)
Well, I kena before.

Tried calling a customer while I was in Singapore,but the call got into answering machine, twice. And I sent another 3 or so sms.

BAAAMMM...charged RM38

FUCK YOU @MAXIS
I emailed them, called them up, and gave them hell for this shit they pulled. In the end they relented and refunded the RM 20 in charges for 2 secs of incoming call and 2 SMSes. my bill is paid for by my company but fuck that, I can't stand the practice behind it. You and everyone else should do this as well so that maxis knows what their customers think about their unfair practices.

cool.seabreeze P
post Dec 13 2019, 11:55 AM

Probation
43 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 2 2019, 11:21 AM)
FYI even if u didnt pickup the call, and it goes to voicemail. U are still charged because when connected to voicemail its considered "picked up".

Yes i kena before because i activated roaming and received call but i didnt pickup and it goes to voicemail. later i check bill kena charged.

But cant remember Digi or Maxshit liao.
When I was on Celcom they have an option to deactivate voicemail while users are roaming overseas.
Strange why they should charge for voicemail since it is their system in Malaysia that is recording the voicemail.

jason83
post Dec 26 2019, 10:40 AM

Enthusiast
890 posts

I had the same shit. Used a different sim but got charged anyway. I have been with them for the past 20 years. Finally porting out. Really sucks.
westlife
post Jan 1 2020, 10:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

Can the rm38 data roaming plan be opted out? I just need pure voice and SMS while auto roaming. I am ok with pay per use voice and SMS charges.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:39 AM