Fun car for under RM40k?

views

6UE5T
post Dec 28 2019, 11:26 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(alcatrez @ Dec 1 2019, 08:02 PM)

toyota mark x is another option. it is RWD. but it is auto
QUOTE(chilskater @ Dec 27 2019, 02:33 PM)
Mark X 2006 V6
Mark X is a nice car, perfect for daily coz super reliable, great for highway cruise and big fast sweeping bends, surely much more fun than the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6, but still not as fun as a manual Swift Sport. I know because I own both now.
6UE5T
post Dec 28 2019, 11:35 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(viosturbo500hp @ Dec 27 2019, 01:31 PM)
i always admire european hot hatches. So fun and yet, it has better interior than Japanese rivals. Are these cars reliable? i've heard plenty horror stories about 1.6 prince engines  sweat.gif
No, they are not reliable like Japanese cars.

QUOTE(viosturbo500hp @ Dec 27 2019, 01:38 PM)
thanks guys, i'm considering this model. But also considering another car, which is CooperS 2005 SC. not sure which to go for now.  laugh.gif
Fun car but not as reliable and much more expensive to maintain.

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Dec 27 2019, 02:12 PM)
Golf GTI 2.0 Turbo Mark V, 200HP 6 speed wet DSG
Is this already below TS 40k budget?

QUOTE(minizian @ Dec 28 2019, 12:55 PM)

Frankly speaking, I wonder if there is such thing as lighter 15'' wheel that is available for purchase in malaysia? No I am not talking about those taiwan "copy wheels" . I mean more like those legit wheels that is lighter than stock?

Yes got. For cheaper ones you got Advanti Storm, Lenso, Konig, and Enkei Tuning. For expensive ones you got lightweight models from top brands like Rays/Volk Racing, SSR, Racing Hart, Advan, Enkei Japan, Regamaster/Spoon, Mugen, etc2. Just prepared to spend north of 2k on them used, or above 5k new.
chilskater
post Dec 29 2019, 12:49 AM

Regular
1,096 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 29 2019, 12:26 AM)
Mark X is a nice car, perfect for daily coz super reliable, great for highway cruise and big fast sweeping bends, surely much more fun than the typical Camry/Accord/Mazda 6, but still not as fun as a manual Swift Sport. I know because I own both now.
Woww... Manual Swift Sport
SUSfreeman1
post Dec 29 2019, 12:51 AM

On my way
525 posts

Myvi lor...
minizian
post Dec 29 2019, 01:41 AM

Regular
1,053 posts

QUOTE(cyapd @ Dec 28 2019, 03:39 PM)
You’ll be amazed by how much they spend on the bodykits, suspension and what not, but opted for those cheapo rubbish fake rims and tires. I mean, seriously? Your wheels and tires are basically the ONLY things connect your car and the road.
Trust me I had hard time explaining to my old man on why I spend RM180 x 4 tires on XM2+ (14 inch wheel so not much choice) when he told me silverstone/random brand tires are less than that. doh.gif Prolly its okay for him since he is slow driver.

QUOTE(BOTAK_WAI @ Dec 28 2019, 07:07 PM)
i guess rim choice is limited if u want easy to buy, yea…i think most pcd 114.3 should be CE28 copy either from taiwan or thailand.

if u are thinking to get neo…better only consider cps variant?

iriz 1.3? no idea.

saga manual? the pedal sucks. the interior sucks.
Yes, I forgot to mention it is the CPS version I am looking at. They do come with non R3 bodykit/wheel variant.

Too bad the closest I had test drive on proton manual is 1.3 iriz. I was assuming saga will have same palcement too. Not many dealer have manual saga/iriz on hand. Unless I went to the wrong branch. Test drive also just around the industral area, cant test much shit.

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 28 2019, 11:22 PM)
Absolutely.
Coz to them copy rims looks so close to the real ones already hence good enough for show off, and tires is just a black piece of rubber than none will notice hence you cannot show off for buying expensive ones. I tell you, people are so fixated by image and showing off, so that's what they mostly care about. That's why you can see plenty of fancy looking cars, even expensive ones like BMW/Mercs but on shit tires and fake rims.  doh.gif
Prolly got shocked on how much does a tires cost especially those on 16+ and above after they spent all the $ on other stuff. My firend was shocked with the tire price and actually decide to downgrade to comfort tire instead of performance tires.

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 28 2019, 11:35 PM)
Yes got. For cheaper ones you got Advanti Storm, Lenso, Konig, and Enkei Tuning. For expensive ones you got lightweight models from top brands like Rays/Volk Racing, SSR, Racing Hart, Advan, Enkei Japan, Regamaster/Spoon, Mugen, etc2. Just prepared to spend north of 2k on them used, or above 5k new.
Ah okay, was browsing through webpages and hypertune magazine adverts. Saw many shop claiming selling above brand but I cant determine if its legit or just BS (end up as copy wheel). Most dealer dont really post their price too so I have no idea how much they costs.

This post has been edited by minizian: Dec 29 2019, 01:41 AM
6UE5T
post Dec 29 2019, 11:56 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(chilskater @ Dec 29 2019, 12:49 AM)
Woww... Manual Swift Sport
Yeah, I bought it for my son as his first car so he learns driving with it.
6UE5T
post Dec 29 2019, 12:05 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Dec 29 2019, 01:41 AM)
Trust me I had hard time explaining to my old man on why I spend RM180 x 4 tires on XM2+ (14 inch wheel so not much choice) when he told me silverstone/random brand tires are less than that. doh.gif  Prolly its okay for him since he is slow driver.
Yes, I forgot to mention it is the CPS version I am looking at. They do come with non R3 bodykit/wheel variant.

Too bad the closest I had test drive on proton manual is 1.3 iriz. I was assuming saga will have same palcement too. Not many dealer have manual saga/iriz on hand. Unless I went to the wrong branch. Test drive also just around the industral area, cant test much shit.
Prolly got shocked on how much does a tires cost especially those on 16+ and above after they spent all the $ on other stuff. My firend was shocked with the tire price and actually decide to downgrade to comfort tire instead of performance tires.
Ah okay, was browsing through webpages and hypertune magazine adverts. Saw many shop claiming selling above brand but I cant determine if its legit or just BS (end up as copy wheel). Most dealer dont really post their price too so I have no idea how much they costs.
Better downsize to smaller rims but maintain using better performance tires than downgrade to comfort tires with lousy grip. I downsized my son's Swift Sport from 17 to 16 and to 15', the best modification I have done on it!

Mostly they sell fake rims from Thailand, Taiwan, or China. Super lightweight rims of those top Japanese brands are very light and the fakes cannot match it, so bring a weighing scale when shopping for rims! Make sure you study every single details on your target rims hence you can tell the difference with the fakes.
cyapd
post Dec 29 2019, 03:44 PM

Who am I?
1,489 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 29 2019, 12:05 PM)
Better downsize to smaller rims but maintain using better performance tires than downgrade to comfort tires with lousy grip. I downsized my son's Swift Sport from 17 to 16 and to 15', the best modification I have done on it!

Mostly they sell fake rims from Thailand, Taiwan, or China. Super lightweight rims of those top Japanese brands are very light and the fakes cannot match it, so bring a weighing scale when shopping for rims! Make sure you study every single details on your target rims hence you can tell the difference with the fakes.
Fake rims are the thing I couldn’t understand. 500 bucks for a set of say 15” rims that might jeopardize everyone in the vehicle. It’s not like proven rims cost a bomb unless you’re talking about 18-20” JDM wheels. A set of 15” Advanti racing wheels cost you not more than 1.3k and they’re built to last.
chilskater
post Dec 29 2019, 03:58 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

Bergaya itu penting for certain people when changing rim... And then they always put caption "sila tunjuk ajar... After install cheap body kits, fake JDM rim, etcc..."
minizian
post Dec 29 2019, 04:50 PM

Regular
1,053 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 29 2019, 11:56 AM)
Yeah, I bought it for my son as his first car so he learns driving with it.
So nice of you buy for your son. Hope he appreciates the gesture of goodwill from his dad smile.gif

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 29 2019, 12:05 PM)

Good call for sure. At least tires are cheaper for 15 then those of larger size.

Do you need tweak any thing wjen you downsize wheels? Eg Speedo or etc?
6UE5T
post Dec 29 2019, 08:06 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(cyapd @ Dec 29 2019, 03:44 PM)
Fake rims are the thing I couldn’t understand. 500 bucks for a set of say 15” rims that might jeopardize everyone in the vehicle. It’s not like proven rims cost a bomb unless you’re talking about 18-20” JDM wheels. A set of 15” Advanti racing wheels cost you not more than 1.3k and they’re built to last.
To be fair, the quality of those fakes especially those from Thailand and Taiwan seem to be improving a lot. They are now much lighter than those fakes 10-20 years ago and getting more difficult to differentiate from the original, especially if the original are also normal cast type rims which are not super lightweight. The fakes have managed to get just within 0.5-1kg heavier than the original, plus now they got fake stickers too. Just that we don't know their quality standard hence for me personally there is no confidence in using them.
6UE5T
post Dec 29 2019, 08:11 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Dec 29 2019, 04:50 PM)
So nice of you buy for your son. Hope he appreciates the gesture of goodwill from his dad smile.gif
Good call for sure. At least tires are cheaper for 15 then those of larger size.

Do you  need tweak any thing wjen you downsize wheels? Eg Speedo or etc?
Hopefully. He seems to like the car.

No need coz everytime you down/upside rims you need to compensate with thicker/thinner tires so overall outer diameter is about the same. Anyway speedometer accuracy is overrated! Most cars speedo are overstated to begin with so I don't bother.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:36 PM