Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Dell called me about issue with my laptop, Dell call - not sure if genuine

views

TSAAHannah P
post Nov 22 2019, 11:07 PM, updated 3w ago

Probation
1 posts

Hello.
Dell rang me on a UK phone number saying it is the UK tech support team and that they need me to download team viewer to allow access to my computer because I have a hack or virus that is showing on their system that they need to fix. I have had many problems wit my laptop this week, it is doing some very strange things so I do think it could be true. The reason I am suspicious is because it is a UK number and i thought there was a Malaysian Dell team so dont understand why they would call me instead. I am worried it could be a scam but I search the number and find this website herewhich say it is real dell number. I told them I was busy with my baby but would call them back in a moment, so I could check it out. Shall I call them back? Or shall I take to someone else to fix?

Thank you

DarXnight
post Nov 22 2019, 11:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,341 posts

Could be scam hmm.gif
Woman loses $300k in 'Singtel' scam call
This happened in Singapore, also involving the use of TeamViewer.
philynn
post Nov 22 2019, 11:17 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

Phone numbers can be easily spoofed. If you did not request for any help, i don't think there is any remote possibility that Dell will proactively try to help you out. I would just ignore them if it was up to me.
chilskater
post Nov 22 2019, 11:19 PM

On my way
587 posts

Is it with indian slang?? It is scam.. MSIA also has dell call center
bismaximus
post Nov 22 2019, 11:20 PM

23 posts

Its a known scam. Especially if they ask you to install teamviewer. Just ignore those calls and always send your laptop to a proper medium to get it fixed/serviced.
Have a look at the video below, should be a similar scenario.

Example Scam Video

This post has been edited by bismaximus: Nov 22 2019, 11:20 PM
chilskater
post Nov 22 2019, 11:22 PM

On my way
587 posts

This is exactly like indian tech scammer... Youtube it... Thwn u will know... Use team viewer ti connect to ur laptop.. Then they do 'virus scan' which is just directory tree scan.. N u need to paid them to clean or solve it... USD199 or more per year..
kygt99
post Nov 22 2019, 11:47 PM

13 posts

Confirm is a scammer. If you didn't tell them you have a problem beforehand how are they supposed to know you have a problem? I suggest just backup your stuff to an external drive and do a clean wipe and reinstall your OS.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0313sec    3.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 03:25 PM