Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Volvo Xc90 and bmw x5 owners, Volvo Xc90 and bmw x5 owner feedback

views

TSmavericko
post Nov 28 2019, 07:42 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(thxxht @ Nov 27 2019, 09:14 AM)
Charge it everyday, your garage should have a power outlet. Never let a li-on battery go to zero, it will reduce lifespan even more. If the battery is zero the car will simply not use it and use the petrol engine, you'll have a dead weight on the car and higher fuel consumption, especially on city stop and go traffic.
The problem is I live in a condo so don't have the ability to charge in the parking lot yet. So will depend on public charging stations or malls.
TSmavericko
post Nov 28 2019, 11:23 AM

28 posts

So the key question is is it worth it to buy X5 or Xc90 if one may not really be diligent in charging the batteries every day and if it is run mainly on petrol. Is the car cost plus fuel efficiency worth it.

Secondly, I have now heard two theories, one that the batteries life depends on the number or charge cycles it goes through and another that infrequent charging cab lead to loss of battery life. So which one is a fact or are both true
koniglee
post Nov 28 2019, 11:39 AM

48 posts

Infrequent charging definitely wont kill the battery as the car recharges the battery when you are on the move (when you brake, coast). But does not make much sense to get a PHEV if you do not charge it.

Been driving my company X5 PHEV for the past 2 years. To me the X5 is a comfortable car to sit but not drive. It feels floaty with the air suspension and the battery is too small for such a big car.
TSmavericko
post Nov 28 2019, 11:50 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(koniglee @ Nov 28 2019, 11:39 AM)
Infrequent charging definitely wont kill the battery as the car recharges the battery when you are on the move (when you brake, coast). But does not make much sense to get a PHEV if you do not charge it.

Been driving my company X5 PHEV for the past 2 years. To me the X5 is a comfortable car to sit but not drive. It feels floaty with the air suspension and the battery is too small for such a big car.
Understand regarding the batteries being too weak, max 31km electric range is too low.

But this is the only premium bmw suv in the market. Are you saying drive quality is worse than x3? I found Xc90 suspension quote hard, the car conveys all rough surfaces or potholes you go on. And the Xc90 brakes are rock hard, unlike bmw brakes.

Thanks.
Jason
post Nov 28 2019, 03:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

QUOTE(mavericko @ Nov 28 2019, 11:23 AM)
So the key question is is it worth it to buy X5 or Xc90 if one may not really be diligent in charging the batteries every day and if it is run mainly on petrol.  Is the car cost plus fuel efficiency worth it. 

Secondly, I have now heard two theories, one that the batteries life depends on the number or charge cycles it goes through and another that infrequent charging cab lead to loss of battery life.  So which one is a fact or are both true
Not worth.

1.The batteries are extra weight, and since you are not using it you are lugging dead weight around.
2.Resale value of PHEV are lower than that of their non-PHEV peers.

Battery life is dependent on the number of charge cycles, truth. And over time it will degrade as well. Partial charge (from regenerative braking -- still count towards charge cycle.)

koniglee
post Nov 28 2019, 04:06 PM

48 posts

QUOTE(mavericko @ Nov 28 2019, 11:50 AM)
Understand regarding the batteries being too weak, max 31km electric range is too low. 

But this is the only premium bmw suv in the market.  Are you saying drive quality is worse than x3?  I found Xc90 suspension quote hard, the car conveys all rough surfaces or potholes you go on.  And the Xc90 brakes are rock hard, unlike bmw brakes. 

Thanks.
Depends on your preference. I prefer my car to feel firm and give the in-control feel. My wife has no complain driving the X5 as she feels the soft suspension makes everything smoother and more relax.

Didn't bother to test drive the X3 as somehow for that price I think going to the G20 330i is a better choice especially now the G20 has CKD version. Test drive the cars and decide for yourself. Whatever you read here is just opinion.

Not sure Volvo still giving out the 5 yrs maintenance package now but the 5 years maintenance + warranty makes the trip to SC a lot less headache. So far no issue faced with the X5 40e except for hitting a huge nail once and need claim tyre warranty which is one of the nice thing about BMW.
TSmavericko
post Nov 28 2019, 09:50 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(koniglee @ Nov 28 2019, 04:06 PM)
Depends on your preference. I prefer my car to feel firm and give the in-control feel. My wife has no complain driving the X5 as she feels the soft suspension makes everything smoother and more relax.

Didn't bother to test drive the X3 as somehow for that price I think going to the G20 330i is a better choice especially now the G20 has CKD version. Test drive the cars and decide for yourself. Whatever you read here is just opinion.

Not sure Volvo still giving out the 5 yrs maintenance package now but the 5 years maintenance + warranty makes the trip to SC a lot less headache. So far no issue faced with the X5 40e except for hitting a huge nail once and need claim tyre warranty which is one of the nice thing about BMW.
Great information so thanks. Yes have test driven and my preference is for x5, just find it suits my driving style. Xc90 is fantastic but just didn't find I liked the brakes, felt needed to press really hard even to get some response. But am considering only used cars for now, so if the batteries are in decent shape, will go for x5. Batteries are a risk and agree resale value is poor.

kkkw80
post Nov 29 2019, 08:41 PM

Tan Sri Member
972 posts

BMW batteries is based on modular design. If one module spoilt, only replace that at around 5k
TSmavericko
post Nov 29 2019, 10:50 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(kkkw80 @ Nov 29 2019, 08:41 PM)
BMW batteries is based on modular design. If one module spoilt, only replace that at around 5k
Thanks. Is the volvo batteries also similar in design, modular so no need to replace the whole battery?
kkkw80
post Nov 29 2019, 11:02 PM

Tan Sri Member
972 posts

QUOTE(mavericko @ Nov 29 2019, 10:50 PM)
Thanks.  Is the volvo batteries also similar in design, modular so no need to replace the whole battery?
Sorry not sure about Volvo, I own a BMW 530e
McPeePee
post Jun 4 2022, 06:43 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

QUOTE(mavericko @ Nov 28 2019, 09:50 PM)
Great information so thanks.  Yes have test driven and my preference is for x5, just find it suits my driving style.  Xc90 is fantastic but just didn't find I liked the brakes, felt needed to press really hard even to get some response.  But am considering only used cars for now, so if the batteries are in decent shape, will go for x5.  Batteries are a risk and agree resale value is poor.
its a software switch for xc90, hard brake or soft brake, can adjust one. x5 has got no dynamic cruise control, if that is ok for you.

kdr93
post Jun 6 2022, 07:05 PM

On my way
534 posts

Having been passenger in both, the ride in the XC90 was more comfortable, and nvh was better.

Probably due to the air suspension.

But driving dynamics, maybe the X5 might have a slight edge.

Fit and finish on the volvo was also better, higher level of perceived quality.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:23 PM