Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Strange noise from PC

views

TSRonin_Amin
post Nov 19 2019, 03:59 AM, updated 5y ago

Casual
484 posts

Hey guys.
Strange noise from pc. Seems to come from gpu because when I push it in, the noise stops. It's not gpu fan because it wasn't spinning at the time.
https://gfycat.com/flakyblissfulanteater
Any ideas?
goldfries
post Nov 19 2019, 07:20 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

Any loose screw?
netmatrix
post Nov 19 2019, 10:48 AM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Is it the ticking sound? All i hear it like an air cond compressor sound. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Nov 19 2019, 10:48 AM
TSRonin_Amin
post Nov 19 2019, 12:47 PM

Casual
484 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Nov 19 2019, 07:20 AM)
Any loose screw?
I have tightened all the screws but maybe I should give it another go. Does it sound like coil whine or something else? I also thought it might be that I have not pushed the gpu into lock at the pcie? Is that possible?

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Nov 19 2019, 10:48 AM)
Is it the ticking sound? All i hear it like an air cond compressor sound. laugh.gif
Yeah the ticking sound. It's the loudest sound in the video. I guess it does sound like air cond compressor haha

This post has been edited by Ronin_Amin: Nov 19 2019, 12:49 PM
netmatrix
post Nov 19 2019, 01:01 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

If it is the ticking sound, it definitely is a fan hitting something.

Could be a loose fan mounting screw.
Could be a misaligned cable.
Could be cooling fin.
Could be a broken fan blade that is doing that when in motion but not not visible when stopped.

Inspect the gaps between the fins for debris and also misaligned fan. There is also a probability that the whole fan assembly not seating on the sleeve bearings properly. This is rare. But i have solve this a few times with chassis fans that had the sleeve bearings jumped out of the fan housing. Just push the top surface of the center core of the fan with some force and it should pop back in place.

If you suspect the card is at fault, take it out and blow the fans to spin it. Hear if the ticking sound is present.

Any repetitive sound in pc is usually fan caused. Except the hard disk tick of death! Could also be arching electricity. But audible electrical noise usually means the pc is not working already.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Nov 19 2019, 01:06 PM
goldfries
post Nov 19 2019, 01:30 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

You can check your PSU fan instead. smile.gif
TSRonin_Amin
post Nov 19 2019, 01:49 PM

Casual
484 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Nov 19 2019, 01:01 PM)
If it is the ticking sound, it definitely is a fan hitting something.

Could be a loose fan mounting screw.
Could be a misaligned cable.
Could be cooling fin.
Could be a broken fan blade that is doing that when in motion but not not visible when stopped.

Inspect the gaps between the fins for debris and also misaligned fan. There is also a probability that the whole fan assembly not seating on the sleeve bearings properly. This is rare. But i have solve this a few times with chassis fans that had the sleeve bearings jumped out of the fan housing. Just push the top surface of the center core of the fan with some force and it should pop back in place.

If you suspect the card is at fault, take it out and blow the fans to spin it. Hear if the ticking sound is present.

Any repetitive sound in pc is usually fan caused. Except the hard disk tick of death! Could also be arching electricity. But audible electrical noise usually means the pc is not working already.
Problem is, the gpu fan wasn't spinning. That's why I am so confused. I am certain it is not from the CPU cooler as the noise stops when I'm pushing on the gpu itself.

QUOTE(goldfries @ Nov 19 2019, 01:30 PM)
You can check your PSU fan instead. smile.gif
Thanks. I'll see if it was the PSU.
sHawTY
post Nov 19 2019, 05:17 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

Are you talking about the "trrrrrrrrrrr" sound?
TSRonin_Amin
post Nov 19 2019, 05:18 PM

Casual
484 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Nov 19 2019, 05:17 PM)
Are you talking about the "trrrrrrrrrrr" sound?
Ya. The vibrating sound
sHawTY
post Nov 20 2019, 12:07 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

Sometimes over-tightening would also cause some fans to vibrate. Happened to me once
Remove all screws but this time do it just enough, don't force it too much
Variants
post Nov 21 2019, 05:23 PM

<3 Mill
503 posts

same as mine, but mine is PSU, i dont know how to say. i thought its normal but i scared, i go change my PSU
Momo33
post Nov 21 2019, 05:30 PM

Regular
1,353 posts

Call me .. GhostBusters bruce.gif
TSRonin_Amin
post Nov 21 2019, 09:29 PM

Casual
484 posts

Update
I opened the pc yesterday and was tightening everything again, found that one of the motherboard standoff screws was not tight enough, allowing some flex of the motherboard. After I've tightened that screw seems like no more vibrating sounds, at least for now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.12    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:37 AM