Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need Help!, My Itunes is taking too much space!!

views

TSirise.ufall
post Nov 17 2019, 01:32 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
72 posts

Dear Pros,

I seriously need your help! I cant restore backup from my itunes and the error messages keep popping up.

And i noticed that my SSD system drive has low disk space. I cleaned up some.

At first i saw that i have more than 10GB of space. But after i tried to restore backups a few times but all failed, my system drive has now shown no more space.

I suspect it is the temporary files that "eat up" all my spaces.

I do a quick check. This apple folder is taking more than 200GB, i am not sure what is it for.

Anyone can advise how to clean up some disk space by deleting unused apple files?? I do want to protect the backup files though.

Please help!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
kingkingyyk
post Nov 17 2019, 01:59 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(irise.ufall @ Nov 17 2019, 01:32 PM)
Dear Pros,

I seriously need your help! I cant restore backup from my itunes and the error messages keep popping up.

And i noticed that my SSD system drive has low disk space. I cleaned up some.

At first i saw that i have more than 10GB of space. But after i tried to restore backups a few times but all failed, my system drive has now shown no more space.

I suspect it is the temporary files that "eat up" all my spaces.

I do a quick check. This apple folder is taking more than 200GB, i am not sure what is it for.

Anyone can advise how to clean up some disk  space by deleting unused apple files?? I do want to protect the backup files though.

Please help!!
No way to tell as it is managed by the program itself. Suggest you to move the entire Apple folder to HDD and make a symlink back to C drive.
WebWalker
post Nov 17 2019, 02:08 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

How big is your SSD?

Assuming you are using Win 10, Win 10 always has minor updates and major updates, they're all eating up spaces.

p/s empty your system Recycle Bin will free up some space.

This post has been edited by WebWalker: Nov 17 2019, 02:09 PM
TSirise.ufall
post Nov 18 2019, 08:26 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Nov 17 2019, 01:59 PM)
No way to tell as it is managed by the program itself. Suggest you to move the entire Apple folder to HDD and make a symlink back to C drive.
May i know how do i do that without losing my backup??
TSirise.ufall
post Nov 18 2019, 08:30 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Nov 17 2019, 02:08 PM)
How big is your SSD?

Assuming you are using Win 10, Win 10 always has minor updates and major updates, they're all eating up spaces.

p/s empty your system Recycle Bin will free up some space.
My SSD system drive has only 500GB, and half of the storage has been taken up by itunes alone... Now i left with around 1000mb only... sweat.gif

1000mb is just not enuf for me to do anything. Basically i cant restore my transfer, and i cant even use my photoshop to edit a photo.... doh.gif
kingkingyyk
post Nov 18 2019, 10:04 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(irise.ufall @ Nov 18 2019, 08:30 AM)
My SSD system drive has only 500GB, and half of the storage has been taken up by itunes alone... Now i left with around 1000mb only...  sweat.gif

1000mb is just not enuf for me to do anything. Basically i cant restore my transfer, and i cant even use my photoshop to edit a photo....  doh.gif
Just remove your existing backups in iTunes. Apple is crap to let power user knows where they put the backups.
freddy manson
post Nov 22 2019, 12:53 PM

ðñê hêll ð£ å gµ¥
4,817 posts

QUOTE(irise.ufall @ Nov 18 2019, 08:26 AM)
May i know how do i do that without losing my backup??
this step is for windows OS ,which you have:

The original location of the Backups is in a folder called MobileSync

This folder is located in: C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

And to do move this folder's location, you will have to:

Copy the folder to the new location (for example at the root of an external hard disk drive (HDD)
    Go to the orinal folder location C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\
    Delete the folder "Backup" within or rename it "BackupOld" to keep it
    Press Shift+Right Click to open a Command window from that location
    Type the following command

mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “<Your External HDD>:\iTunes Backup”

Close Command prompt
    Launch a backup, see if it has been properly located and iTunes sees is as the latest
TSirise.ufall
post Nov 22 2019, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(freddy manson @ Nov 22 2019, 12:53 PM)
this step is for windows OS ,which you have:
Woww thanks bro!

I see if i am able to get it done by following the steps.

notworthy.gif
freddy manson
post Nov 23 2019, 09:32 AM

ðñê hêll ð£ å gµ¥
4,817 posts

QUOTE(irise.ufall @ Nov 22 2019, 01:38 PM)
Woww thanks bro!

I see if i am able to get it done by following the steps.

notworthy.gif
save this for future. can be useful for other things too!
TSirise.ufall
post Nov 27 2019, 09:23 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(freddy manson @ Nov 23 2019, 09:32 AM)
save this for future. can be useful for other things too!
Thank you so much bro.

Last weekend i tried to uninstall my games from steam to free up some spaces to try to restore my backup again before trying your methods.

I free up almost 100GB just to prepare for the restoration works. And it took almost 60GB at the end... sweat.gif

This itunes alone has taken easily 300GB of my C-drive... I am going to uninstall it and install at my normal hdd instead.
freddy manson
post Dec 1 2019, 04:13 PM

ðñê hêll ð£ å gµ¥
4,817 posts

QUOTE(irise.ufall @ Nov 27 2019, 09:23 AM)
Thank you so much bro.

Last weekend i tried to uninstall my games from steam to free up some spaces to try to restore my backup again before trying your methods.

I free up almost 100GB just to prepare for the restoration works. And it took almost 60GB at the end...  sweat.gif

This itunes alone has taken easily 300GB of my C-drive... I am going to uninstall it and install at my normal hdd instead.
delete all ur old backups, and only keep 3 of ur recent ones.. i do this foe safekeeping

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:54 PM