Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Where to learn game VFX?, Unreal Engine 4-based.

views

TSVolsuung
post Nov 11 2019, 08:23 PM, updated 5y ago

36 posts

Hey wonderful people, does anyone know where can I learn game VFX part-time in Malaysia?
Software wise I am picking up Unreal Engine 4 because of how many things it can do.

Even as a newbie I find Youtube tutorials sorely lacking in terms of structure and completion.
For example, after leaning how to make a fireball, I can't seem to find a guide that shows how to export it out, or bind it to an animated object / mesh.
lightwaver
post Nov 12 2019, 12:22 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(Volsuung @ Nov 11 2019, 08:23 PM)
Hey wonderful people, does anyone know where can I learn game VFX part-time in Malaysia?
Software wise I am picking up Unreal Engine 4 because of how many things it can do.

Even as a newbie I find Youtube tutorials sorely lacking in terms of structure and completion.
For example, after leaning how to make a fireball, I can't seem to find a guide that shows how to export it out, or bind it to an animated object / mesh.
Learn it from everywhere, google, unreal official site, discord (get yourself a mentor over there), intern, real job, buy video tutorials if u have the money

export it? confused.gif to software like maya? why would u want to do that? when u said bind, u meant spawn, rite? if yes, check this:
Spawn and Destroy an Actor with Blueprint

youtube never lack of cool tutorials, dig harder, back to your fireball again, check this video:

most of the videos from this youtuber are mean for newbies

TSVolsuung
post Nov 12 2019, 01:06 AM

36 posts

QUOTE(lightwaver @ Nov 12 2019, 12:22 AM)
Learn it from everywhere, google, unreal official site, discord (get yourself a mentor over there), intern, real job, buy video tutorials if u have the money

export it?  confused.gif to software like maya? why would u want to do that? when u said bind, u meant spawn, rite? if yes, check this:
Spawn and Destroy an Actor with Blueprint

youtube never lack of cool tutorials, dig harder, back to your fireball again, check this video:

most of the videos from this youtuber are mean for newbies
Hey man, thanks for your response.

Maybe I should learn the terminologies first lmao.

I am actually looking for a structured course (vid / mentorship) that helps me understand how to (for example):
1. create a fireball (I managed to understand the basics of cascade)
2. set a darker level to emphasize the fireball
3. have an character (actor) with spellcasting animation cast the fireball
4. 'export' or turn it into a video so I can keep it in my sketch document

These would be for starters.

Many tutorials teach really cool spells but how do I extend from there after that is another thing I have tried looking around, but to no avail.

This post has been edited by Volsuung: Nov 12 2019, 01:09 AM
lightwaver
post Nov 12 2019, 02:02 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(Volsuung @ Nov 12 2019, 01:06 AM)
Hey man, thanks for your response.

Maybe I should learn the terminologies first lmao.

I am actually looking for a structured course (vid / mentorship) that helps me understand how to (for example):
1. create a fireball (I managed to understand the basics of cascade)

These would be for starters.

Many tutorials teach really cool spells but how do I extend from there after that is another thing I have tried looking around, but to no avail.
ok, will try my best to help

set your light brightness, pretty straight forward

presume u know how to setup a character blueprint & animation blueprint, setup an input action event, connect to your spellcast animation montage, check this video:

TSVolsuung
post Nov 12 2019, 02:25 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(lightwaver @ Nov 12 2019, 02:02 AM)
ok, will try my best to help

set your light brightness, pretty straight forward

presume u know how to setup a character blueprint & animation blueprint, setup an input action event, connect to your spellcast animation montage, check this video:

Appreciate the links you have attached here, they are helpful, but I have yet to learn how to setup blueprints (what's input action even?).
Baru learning how to use the material editors.

Question, are you working in the game development industry?
drpsyko
post Nov 12 2019, 06:53 PM

Casual
446 posts

One way to learn UE4 cascade is to dissect the Content Examples and Environmental Effect in the Learning tab inside Epic Game Launcher. Some scene also have projectile effect that you can open and study.
Also in some ways, Niagara might be a better option to start with, albeit with a steep learning curve.
TSVolsuung
post Nov 12 2019, 07:26 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(drpsyko @ Nov 12 2019, 06:53 PM)
One way to learn UE4 cascade is to dissect the Content Examples and Environmental Effect in the Learning tab inside Epic Game Launcher. Some scene also have projectile effect that you can open and study.
Also in some ways, Niagara might be a better option to start with, albeit with a steep learning curve.
Yo, thanks for responding to this thread!

Is that similar to going through all the modules in spells I found and downloaded online? I'll check out the Learning tab for sure (haven't noticed and touched it, oh gosh).

I heard Niagara is still in its early stage and involves what one calls 'blueprint' in its workflow differently or something. Screw (and excuse) my terminology but I'll be sure to take a look at it too.

Are you perhaps also working in the game development industry?
lightwaver
post Nov 12 2019, 07:54 PM

7 posts

Agreed with drpsyko, u can learn more in content examples, not sure what kind of modules u have went through, in my experiences, content examples give me deeper look

Niagara is no more in early or experimental stage, chaos is, personally, recommend beginners to take a look into old cascade first before u move on to niagara, niagara is way abit complicated, yes u are right, the best part of niagara is u can do custom scripting, very robust, if u have any experience in any traditional 3D software particles system workflow, niagara should be piece of cake for u
TSVolsuung
post Nov 12 2019, 09:16 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(lightwaver @ Nov 12 2019, 07:54 PM)
Agreed with drpsyko, u can learn more in content examples, not sure what kind of modules u have went through, in my experiences, content examples give me deeper look

Niagara is no more in early or experimental stage, chaos is, personally, recommend beginners to take a look into old cascade first before u move on to niagara, niagara is way abit complicated, yes u are right, the best part of niagara is u can do custom scripting, very robust, if u have any experience in any traditional 3D software particles system workflow, niagara should be piece of cake for u
Cool, I just found Content Examples in Epic's launcher, going to download and have a look now.
Yeah, I guess I will understand Cascade more first before moving on to Niagara.

I used to dabble with Maya, made a few models but those were years ago; back to zero now damn.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:56 PM