Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Newbie rider asking about gears

views

SUSskyblu3
post Nov 22 2019, 06:32 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(Karenalvin @ Nov 22 2019, 04:10 PM)
not so big on D3O to be honest. pricey and not as protective. properly designed multilayered armour is still going to be superior over D3O. not forgetting the fact that D3O provides mostly impact protection (still less than conventional type) and not all that much abrasion protection. meaning your jacket needs to provide that abrasion protection which is not all that easy when many people wear mesh for our hot weather....

the purpose of armour in impact protection is to spread the force over a larger area to which armour with inherent structural integrity is able to do. 3DO by its flexible nature introduce a set of unpredictability in the configuration at the moment of impact.

a lot of the layered armour has a plastic slider at the top which prevents things from digging in and potentially help it stay in place compared to a friction surface which might pull the armour to the side
So which you highly recommended?
Karenalvin
post Nov 22 2019, 09:30 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Nov 22 2019, 06:32 PM)
So which you highly recommended?
there is no one size fit all. like i said earlier, you can have the most awesome protector but if it is uncomfortable for you which cause you to stop using them then its kinda pointless.

that said, products by Forcefield armour ticks most of my boxes.

I should clarify further, I am not saying D3O is bad per se, just that it might not be the best one-stop strategy for us here in Malaysia. It really depends on what type of gear you use and the compromise you want.

I do use D3O on my knee because the abrasion protection is taken care by the riding jeans and i value that extra bit of flexibility. but i do not use D3O in my mesh jacket as i feel i need the extra abrasion protection from a composite armour.

the D3O material is known to be quite temperature sensitive and becomes supposedly becomes softer when hot. I am not sure how our Malaysian heat will affect the level of protection offer but i hope i will never have to find out.

but at the end of the day, any protection is better than no protection. so if it tickles your fancy then by all means try it.

Quazacolt
post Nov 22 2019, 11:15 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Justin.Loong @ Nov 22 2019, 09:27 AM)
Wah! Thanks for the info!
You'll notice that hard shell is minimize and the armor itself extends taller (though nice if it gets a wee bit more taller to the neck)

Regardless, it is CE level 2 and that itself is better than its predecessor.
sheiberlee
post Dec 29 2019, 08:54 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

just cross selling here.

i have a used rev'it h20 boots to let go.

comfy and light.

have a look.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4884484
Johannlo
post Aug 3 2020, 11:23 PM

Kuli
356 posts

I’m currently looking to get myself riding pants.

But it’s either riding jeans with knee and thigh padding or normal jeans with external knee guard from Shopee. Lol.

What do you all recommend. Budget less than 200.
Zephyral
post Aug 3 2020, 11:40 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(Johannlo @ Aug 3 2020, 11:23 PM)

But it’s either riding jeans with knee and thigh padding or normal jeans with external knee guard from Shopee. Lol.

under RM200 with knee and thigh padding probably you are talking about those fake komine we see selling on shopee? i have no experience with them personally although I have heard that they are ok. honestly thou, even those branded riding jeans around 500 to 700 bucks don't really seem to offer that much more protection than normal jeans. while i do not support fakes, i guess you can't really go that wrong with those fake komine on shopee...

in my opinion, riding pants is one of the hardest PPE to shop for...
SUSXXXOOOXXXOOO
post Aug 4 2020, 03:01 AM

Regular
1,471 posts

any come across local shop/store still have sidi adventures 2 boots (black) ?
look like my sidi ad1 is gone soon ....

SUSXXXOOOXXXOOO
post Aug 4 2020, 03:24 AM

Regular
1,471 posts

QUOTE(Johannlo @ Aug 3 2020, 11:23 PM)

jeans only ? other riding pants dunwan ?
i have oneal apocalypse pants.
size 7/8 (around 32-34).
Color Black.
New but very old model (i think at least 6 year old), i din't realize i still have one brand new hidden in my wardrobe..
buying prices > USD 99 (+shipping) (they still selling now)
Prices: you offer.

Over-the-boot style pants
Bottoms zip-off easily into shorts
Double snaps at waist closure, reinforced with hook and loop to keep the zipper in its place
Two zippered pockets for secure storage
Two open hand pockets
Heavy duty denier fabrics for added durability
Strategic stretch panels for comfort and mobility
Inner leg panel for heat resistance

This post has been edited by XXXOOOXXXOOO: Aug 4 2020, 03:27 AM

6 Pages « < 4 5 6Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:35 PM