3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I bought a new pc but its wifi is so slow

views

TSShoukun P
post Nov 10 2019, 06:24 PM, updated 5y ago

Probation
13 posts

I just recently bought a new pc, and despite having good signal (max bar or 1 off), the wifi is so slow. It also sometimes randomly disconnected. There is no problem with my modem I think, as my laptop and my phone can achieve max wifi speed at the exact location where my pc is placed.

I tested with mobile hotspot, and it seems to have no problem with the wifi speed if I put the hotspot close to my pc. So, I come to the conclusion that the slow wifi may have something to do with how far the modem is located from my pc. However, the frustrating part is that my modem placement never pose any problem to any of my devices before, like I said my laptop doesn't have any problem with it. What should I do? I bought this pc for mostly online gaming and it's gonna be useless if my wifi connection is slow.

Speedtest shows that the pc wifi speed is 0-1.5mbps, when it should be 8mbps.

my pc specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASROCK B450M STEEL LEGEND MATX
ASUS RTX2060 6GB DUAL GDDR6
GSkill Trident Z RGB 8gbx2 3600mhz

as for the wifi adapter it's TPLink Archer T4E AC1200 Wireless Dual Band PCIe. And yes, I already installed the antenna.

I really hope there's a solution for this and my money is not wasted. Thanks in advance.
yyyy95
post Nov 10 2019, 06:28 PM

49 posts

Check for latest driver update installed on your computer. Search for " TPLink Archer T4E AC1200 Wireless Dual Band PCIe driver", to get to the manufacturer's website and install the right version for your Windows.
patchwin
post Nov 10 2019, 06:28 PM

39 posts

use ethernet cable
TSShoukun P
post Nov 10 2019, 06:43 PM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(yyyy95 @ Nov 10 2019, 06:28 PM)
Check for latest driver update installed on your computer. Search for " TPLink Archer T4E AC1200 Wireless Dual Band PCIe driver", to get to the manufacturer's website and install the right version for your Windows.
I have already did that, installed, restarted pc, still no improvement
yyyy95
post Nov 10 2019, 07:40 PM

49 posts

Have you tried re-seating the card inside your PC (take it out and put it back in), or change to another PCIe slot?
chocobo7779
post Nov 10 2019, 07:44 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Shoukun @ Nov 10 2019, 06:43 PM)
I have already did that, installed, restarted pc, still no improvement
Also, did you try a wired connection to rule out the problem? You may also try changing the connection to a 5GHz one if your router supports it icon_idea.gif
TSShoukun P
post Nov 10 2019, 07:52 PM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(yyyy95 @ Nov 10 2019, 07:40 PM)
Have you tried re-seating the card inside your PC (take it out and put it back in), or change to another PCIe slot?
I don't know how to do that, the shop I bought from assembled the pc for me sad.gif They said it's not the problem with the card since mobile hotspot works fine but with the modem instead and asked to charge an extra RM50 to help configure the modem, but they don't guarantee they can determine the problem even if they do that.

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Nov 10 2019, 07:44 PM)
Also, did you try a wired connection to rule out the problem?  You may also try changing the connection to a 5GHz one if your router supports it icon_idea.gif
That's not possible. My pc can't connect to an ethernet cable, it's in the living room, my pc is in my room. I'm not sure, but I don't think my router supports 5ghz since the speed is so low because it's streamyx. Sadly my area doesn't have unifi coverage yet
chocobo7779
post Nov 10 2019, 07:55 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Shoukun @ Nov 10 2019, 07:52 PM)
I don't know how to do that, the shop I bought from assembled the pc for me  sad.gif  They said it's not the problem with the card since mobile hotspot works fine but with the modem instead and asked to charge an extra RM50 to help configure the modem, but they don't guarantee they can determine the problem even if they do that.
That's not possible. My pc can't connect to an ethernet cable, it's in the living room, my pc is in my room. I'm not sure, but I don't think my router supports 5ghz since the speed is so low because it's streamyx. Sadly my area doesn't have unifi coverage yet
Can you try opening up the system unit and try reseating it? (Only do this when your PC is unplugged) icon_idea.gif

Also, can you try rebooting the modem/router if possible? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Nov 10 2019, 07:56 PM
yyyy95
post Nov 10 2019, 08:36 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(Shoukun @ Nov 10 2019, 07:52 PM)
I don't know how to do that, the shop I bought from assembled the pc for me  sad.gif  They said it's not the problem with the card since mobile hotspot works fine but with the modem instead and asked to charge an extra RM50 to help configure the modem, but they don't guarantee they can determine the problem even if they do that.

You have any friend who can help you? Dont think is your modem if your phone can achieve the 8 Mbps you mentioned.
krayden
post Nov 10 2019, 09:05 PM

On my way
568 posts

Look at the back of your pc. Does it have two black antenna sticking out?
1mr3tard3d
post Nov 11 2019, 11:03 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

To test if the problem lies with the distance (your conclusion)
set up your pc next to the router and run the speed test to rule out the possibility of signal/distance problem
You may reposition the direction of the antenna facing

TSShoukun P
post Nov 11 2019, 11:46 AM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Nov 10 2019, 07:55 PM)
Can you try opening up the system unit and try reseating it?  (Only do this when your PC is unplugged) icon_idea.gif
I don't know how to open it like I said but this gives me the idea to reinstall the adapter antenna. I don't really know what I did different, perhaps it's because I screwed it a little looser this time bc I read on another website you're not supposed to screw it tight (I screwed it tight before) but somehow I'm getting the max speed now.

So I think the cause may be because I messed up installing the antenna somehow doh.gif Thanks for all the help everyone notworthy.gif
TSShoukun P
post Nov 11 2019, 02:09 PM

Probation
13 posts

Actually, after using the wifi for a bit now, I noticed it is very unstable when playing a mmo. So many spikes that I keep freezing in the game. The speed would drop back to 0.5-2mbps.

It's definitely not normal because when I played the mmo using my mobile hotspot yesterday, my gameplay is smooth. And my laptop also doesn't have this problem. Am I screwed?
kurtkob78
post Nov 11 2019, 03:05 PM

Do your best
3,830 posts

how far is your computer from the router?
got any walls in between?

if got wall, connection will become slow. try both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band
TSShoukun P
post Nov 11 2019, 06:18 PM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(kurtkob78 @ Nov 11 2019, 03:05 PM)
how far is your computer from the router?
got any walls in between?

if got wall, connection will become slow. try both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band
I don’t think it’s the distance anymore, because when I close the game, the connection become stable again. It only becomes slow when I’m playing a mmo.
ghostcommand
post Nov 12 2019, 12:15 AM

On my way
660 posts

I don't know about T4E but I am using Archer T6E... even with a few walls in between, my PC got full speed @ half signal (100Mbps Unifi @ 5ghz band).

If using Streamyx I won't even dare to play online lol... confirm lag. If play dota, sure lag until get reported lmao

This post has been edited by ghostcommand: Nov 12 2019, 12:25 AM
TSShoukun P
post Nov 12 2019, 01:56 AM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(ghostcommand @ Nov 12 2019, 12:15 AM)
I don't know about T4E but I am using Archer T6E... even with a few walls in between, my PC got full speed @ half signal (100Mbps Unifi @ 5ghz band).

If using Streamyx I won't even dare to play online lol... confirm lag. If play dota, sure lag until get reported lmao
I didn’t choose the wifi card, the shop recommended it to me so I just went with it.

Yea streamyx is very slow, so I don’t play any competitive mmo lol Even this mmo I had to use a vpn to make it playable.

After more googling, I found a post that said the case may be blocking the signal if the antenna is facing the wall, so I changed the position of the pc. It’s not ideal coz I had to use an extension (the psu cable is too short) and all the cables which before were hidden behind the case are all visible now so the arrangement looks ugly. Regardless, it seems to work alright for now.

What I don’t understand is why did a slight change in arrangement makes such a huge difference, is the wifi adapter really that bad? My phone and laptop can get signal from any location in my bedroom yet this more expensive pc need such a specific setup to get a stable signal.
ghostcommand
post Nov 12 2019, 09:27 PM

On my way
660 posts

QUOTE(Shoukun @ Nov 12 2019, 01:56 AM)
I didn’t choose the wifi card, the shop recommended it to me so I just went with it.

Yea streamyx is very slow, so I don’t play any competitive mmo lol Even this mmo I had to use a vpn to make it playable.

After more googling, I found a post that said the case may be blocking the signal if the antenna is facing the wall, so I changed the position of the pc. It’s not ideal coz I had to use an extension (the psu cable is too short) and all the cables which before were hidden behind the case are all visible now so the arrangement looks ugly. Regardless, it seems to work alright for now.

What I don’t understand is why did a slight change in arrangement makes such a huge difference, is the wifi adapter really that bad? My phone and laptop can get signal from any location in my bedroom yet this more expensive pc need such a specific setup to get a stable signal.
Expensive PC or not, it all depends on your network card for WiFi. AC1200 is more than adequate for streamyx.

If you live in a condo/apartment, I would recommend you upgrade your modem/router to get 5Ghz band. 2.4Ghz band will definitely have interference if your neighbours also using WiFi.
hashtag2016
post Nov 12 2019, 10:46 PM

Casual
453 posts

QUOTE(Shoukun @ Nov 12 2019, 01:56 AM)

I think the reasons are: Your pc is in the wifi dead zone, and u r using 2.4GHz.
From the spec, your pci wifi adapter is support beamforming , since u r not using 5hz, u cannot take benefit from it.

so, if u will to spend more money , u can either change a wifi router that support beaforming,
or simply replace the antenna of pci adapter with new one that come with extension cable and magnetic base..
or buy a new usb high gain wifi adapter + usb extension cable, and u can change to any direction u like.
or just simply accept what it is..

p/s: If I were u, I would go for the new antenna , I think its less than RM50.
TSShoukun P
post Nov 13 2019, 11:05 AM

Probation
13 posts

QUOTE(hashtag2016 @ Nov 12 2019, 10:46 PM)
I think the reasons are: Your pc is in the wifi dead zone, and u r using 2.4GHz.
From the spec, your pci wifi adapter  is support  beamforming , since u r not using 5hz, u cannot take benefit from it.

so, if u will to spend more money , u can either change a wifi router that support beaforming,
or simply replace the antenna of pci adapter with new one that come with extension cable and magnetic base..
or buy a new usb high gain wifi adapter + usb extension cable, and u can change to any direction u like.
or just simply accept what it is..

p/s: If I were u, I would go for the new antenna , I think its less than RM50.
It shouldn't be in wifi dead zone if my laptop and phone can pick up the signal easily though?

Ever since I changed the position of the antenna, the internet is working fine. However, I found it to be highly unstable. It would randomly disconnect, and for online gaming it's horrible, I experienced lag spikes during gaming like every min (I'm not even exaggerating) and that spike sometimes causes my game to be disconnected immediately. So, I'm certain the source of the problem is the wifi card/antenna's lack of range to pick up the wifi signal.

I don't get what kind of antenna you're talking about, I can use a different antenna without changing the card?

Unifi is coming to my area soon, thinking to choose the 100mbps plan, do you guys think with unifi's router and higher bandwidth this problem can be fixed?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.19    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 PM