Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DJI - Mavic Mini, The Everyday Flycam

views

lee82gx
post Nov 14 2019, 11:32 AM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

I'd like to from a beginner's point of view (I've only flown toy drones with no hover mode), is a used Spark with 3x batteries a better option or a Mavic Mini with3x batteries?

Prices have dropped especially used Spark's.

I know the main difference being obstacle avoidance + follow mode + less flight time.

my usage is just flying around for photos while travelling.
lee82gx
post Nov 14 2019, 05:18 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

Is it really worthwhile to buy "official" Malaysia warranty? Does it have crash coverage etc?
lee82gx
post Nov 21 2019, 03:06 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

From what I understand, DJI malaysia warranty = having the chance to ship your damaged drone back to China at the owner's expense for shipping cost. They will assess whether your claims are valid or not for a warranty repair / replacement.

Personally I'm waiting for the Fly more combo to be more available rather than pre-order, at the same time waiting for the geozone restrictions to be able to be lifted in the app. Currently all the restricted zones are no take off at all....which is a bummer for me. I live 3km from airport but not even able to fly at all.
lee82gx
post Nov 21 2019, 05:34 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ Nov 21 2019, 04:32 PM)
from wat i asked droneskaki yesterday is, most shop get from supplier in malaysia and supplier got it from HK. so anything happen u hv to send back to supplier first then only they send it back to HK. and depending on supplier, some will ask u to pay for shipping cost urself.

as for droneskaki, they directly got it from HK instead of through supplier. so anything they will send the drone back to HK themselves at their expenses.

pre-order price is cheaper tho.
Hong Kong is currently a bad business hub, what with the demonstrations and all....I think everything going through it also sangkut edi.

Hong Kong drone troubles

Perhaps that's why stock is scarce here? All the fly more combo in stock sells for more than retail price (RM1999).....this is not good. So now for me just sit here talking about it instead of flying haha.
lee82gx
post Jan 13 2020, 01:49 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(Yinyan0422 @ Jan 4 2020, 03:56 PM)
i try fly in kampar with is a rural area
my mavic mini version is CE
I get alot weak signal around 60m altitute and total lost connection at 120m
below is the record
felt so uncertain to fly this compare to mavic pro

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ubGwJuxqs...GeP7pqbyrhBNNyx
As zep commented. It's hard for wifi signal to be strong directly upwards of where you are. You can either flatten the antenna so that it is perpendicular to your drone or move forward. Either way you need to always adjust your antenna to be perpendicular to your drone. Which comes to the second part of your flight when its returning, you are completely facing away from your drone too. This combined with possibly rf interference from other sources like wifi routers etc will lead to disconnection.
lee82gx
post Jan 13 2020, 02:05 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(MichaelJohn @ Jan 8 2020, 03:46 PM)
user posted image
user posted image
The restriction with 2.4 ghz is that many household appliances use that frequency (eg. your home wifi) so you will get interference easily, which is why 5.8 ghz is given to reduce that effect.
Also 2.4ghz has higher penetration power than 5.8ghz, which is why it is rated for longer distances compared to 5.8ghz.

IMO, those with 18 months warranty are just extended warranty, DJI officially supports up to 12 months while the rest is from the shop i think.
Hi MichaelJohn,

Your range extender antenna, is it more difficult to maintain connection to the aircraft? I understand you are getting better range when the signal is stronger...I wonder is it easy to aim the antenna while you fly around.

Also, does the unlocker drone guy give you any instructions to use? Can share or not?

I'm considering to use the directional antenna similar to yours, but a bit concerned regarding the ease of use.
lee82gx
post Jan 13 2020, 10:14 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(MichaelJohn @ Jan 13 2020, 09:21 PM)
I assume that what you're asking is whether my connection is stable with the modded antenna or not, if that's the case then yes, it does.

Mostly because the modded antenna gives better signal gain than the standard one

The drone guy just basically does the most of the job of modding drone RC. Nothing much to instruct tbh cause the modded antenna works the same as the standard ones.
The antenna is high gain because the radiation pattern is focused on the front of the antenna, while at the sides and also if You tilt the antenna up (facing sky) or down (facing ground) vs the aircraft position then the signal will be low.

Compared to the stock antenna, it is a low gain antenna thus it radiates in a Omni directional pattern, that is horizontally around 360 deg the signal strength is the same. In theory it is easier to fly with an omni antenna as the you can manoeuvre the craft in any direction without loss of signal, while the high gain directional antennas require a line of sight or some form of orientation towards the aircraft to keep the beam pointed at the aircraft.

This is all theory, and that’s why I ask in practice, do you find it difficult to keep signal strong...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/...-vs-direct.html
lee82gx
post Jan 14 2020, 11:53 AM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(MichaelJohn @ Jan 14 2020, 10:26 AM)
No problem if you keep the antennas in the same direction as the drone. Even past 1KM.
thanks a bunch. You were getting good service in 5.8G? I mean considering 5.8Ghz for mini CE is lower power.

lee82gx
post Jan 20 2020, 08:00 AM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(stanleytps @ Jan 19 2020, 10:04 AM)
Yes from unlocking drone. I just came back max range at 130m on 5.8ghz. 😰😰
did you point the antenna directly at the drone?
Did you check that the channel used is good ie no interference from other sources?
lee82gx
post Jan 21 2020, 11:47 AM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(stanleytps @ Jan 20 2020, 10:16 PM)
Yes I did all the above. The drone is back with Unlocking Drone and he is checking on it. Tested it at his place and yes something is not right. Will wait for his diagnostic.
Good to know you can go back to him for checking.
lee82gx
post Jan 21 2020, 07:02 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

Today I received and modified my mavic air remote with the Ant-cool 5.8G antenna. First flight definitely feel a better connection to the drone, video and control less lag n delay. Range wise I tested 1 way straight flight 1.6km vs disconnection at 1.2 to 1.3km at the same spot. I'm flying near high rise with plenty of wifi. Will try to test over the sea if time permits.
lee82gx
post Feb 1 2020, 11:03 AM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

QUOTE(dddddddddd @ Jan 31 2020, 06:43 PM)
can we fly fcc version in malaysia? i couldnt find any regulations regarding fcc or ce for malaysia. As i know other than US , we can get fcc version from taiwan too. please advise me which version to choose.
if you fly the fcc version in Malaysia without any hacking, it will transmit at CE compliant RF levels, at only 5.8Ghz. By official distance rating it is around 500m.

But if you use android and a fake GPS app, you can trick the aircraft to think it started in the US and can maintain to use FCC compliant RF which is rated for 4km at 5.8Ghz.

Compared to CE models which you can choose or let the system choose between 2.4Ghz (2.4km) or 5.8Ghz (500m) in Malaysia.

If I were looking to buy a unit, and cost not a concern then I'd go for FCC and forget about warranty in Malaysia.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0242sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:47 PM