Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ILLEGEAR RAVEN SE-R with RTX2060 vs LENOVO Y7000 R, give me suggestions & reviews for laptop

views

TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 1 2019, 07:04 PM, updated 5y ago

22 posts

Hi PC Masters, looking to purchase a laptop with best budget range to replace my aging rig (maybe around rm5k, willing to stretch a bit more or get loan from parents haha). Any recommendations?

Currently looking at ILLEGEAR RAVEN SE-R on their website and i see they offer customization, can choose i5 or i7 with RTX2060 and also LENOVO Y7000 but can consider other brands and models as well. But illegear offering quite good and fair price with 2 years warranty and Y7000 has 1 year warranty only on their website from what i see but the Y7000 has hard disk and ssd as default where else the Raven SE-R only ssd but can purchase hard disk additionally as customization. Wondering if any sifus here can help me decide?

-Use for gaming. Example like csgo, apex legends, GTA 5, and will play some intensive graphics games soon. Will be saving up for the Steam Winter sales. Huhu
-Use for editing works. Color accuracy is a must for photo editing especially. Freelance photographer.
-Lightweight is a plus point. Use for college stuff as well and bring it around often (i see the Raven SE-R being lighter than Y7000 about 300g to 400g)
-Sufficient cooling for the laptop. Dont mind loud fans as long as able to cool down the temperature during gaming. Using headphone anyway
p.s: Love my razer kraken chroma 7.1 because of the deep bass and if can, maybe can include some promotion wink.gif hahaha

Also, does anyone has any reviews on these laptop models? Or reviews on your suggested laptop models.

Note: Will consider all suggestions and do my own research then will decide. Help me save some money, still a student biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by rorrimcalb: Nov 1 2019, 07:13 PM
Pharamain
post Nov 1 2019, 07:17 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 1 2019, 07:04 PM)
Hi PC Masters, looking to purchase a laptop with best budget range (maybe around rm5k, willing to stretch a bit more or get loan from parents haha). Any recommendations?

Currently looking at ILLEGEAR RAVEN SE-R on their website and i see they offer customization, can choose i5 or i7 with RTX2060 and also LENOVO Y7000 but can consider other brands and models as well. But illegear offering quite good and fair price with 2 years warranty and Y7000 has 1 year warranty only on their website from what i see but the Y7000 has hard disk and ssd as default where else the Raven SE-R only ssd but can purchase hard disk additionally as customization. Wondering if any sifus here can help me decide?

-Use for gaming. Example like csgo, apex legends, GTA 5, and will play some intensive graphics games soon. Will be saving up for the Steam Winter sales. Huhu
-Use for editing works. Color accuracy is a must for photo editing especially. Freelance photographer.
-Lightweight is a plus point. Use for college stuff as well and bring it around often (i see the Raven SE-R being lighter than Y7000 about 300g to 400g)
-Sufficient cooling for the laptop. Dont mind loud fans as long as able to cool down the temperature during gaming. Using headphone anyway
p.s: Love my razer kraken chroma 7.1 because of the deep bass and if can, maybe can include some promotion wink.gif hahaha

Also, does anyone has any reviews on these laptop models? Or reviews on your suggested laptop models.

Note: Will consider all suggestions and do my own research then will decide. Help me save some money, still a student biggrin.gif
Within that price range there are some decent models which suitable for you. As what you have mention, the Raven SE-R is quite a good model for the price which around RM5k for a laptop with RTX2060, 144hz display 100% SRGB, good body build and okish weight that around 1.9kg and good cooling that suit what you are doing.

The downside of that machine is mediocre speaker and no thunderbolt, if you are ok with this, this model consider the best choice for you. And since you are doing editing work, do choose i7 instead of a i5
ZM Fong
post Nov 1 2019, 07:49 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 1 2019, 07:04 PM)
Hi PC Masters, looking to purchase a laptop with best budget range to replace my aging rig (maybe around rm5k, willing to stretch a bit more or get loan from parents haha). Any recommendations?
Y7000 SE (1660Ti/2060 GPU) with code LENXCIMB and Shopback 10%, best bang for buck. 2.2-2.3kg.
i7-9750H, 16GB dual channel RAM, 1TB HDD+1TB SSD (!), 144Hz, 2x2 Wifi, W10
A few RM1 upgrades including 2 yr premier onsite

If you really need thin and light, I would suggest Illegear SE-R or Prodigy. Note that thinner means less cooling room, thus has slightly higher temps and needs more tuning

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Nov 1 2019, 07:53 PM
TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 2 2019, 11:24 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Nov 1 2019, 07:49 PM)
Y7000 SE (1660Ti/2060 GPU) with code LENXCIMB and Shopback 10%, best bang for buck. 2.2-2.3kg.
i7-9750H, 16GB dual channel RAM, 1TB HDD+1TB SSD (!), 144Hz, 2x2 Wifi, W10
A few RM1 upgrades including 2 yr premier onsite

If you really need thin and light, I would suggest Illegear SE-R or Prodigy. Note that thinner means less cooling room, thus has slightly higher temps and needs more tuning
Ohhh..got promo code and shopback. Will have a look into that. Do you have any other suggestions of different models or brands?

And what sort of tuning?

I also saw some dell laptops while looking through the internet. And some models having discount off the prices.

https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/laptops-and...p/w5160104myw10

https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/laptops-and...160557042emyw10

https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/laptops-and...5170551000myw10

https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/laptops-and...170152710pmyw10

What do you think of these dell laptops? Got any reviews on these?

TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 2 2019, 11:37 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(Pharamain @ Nov 1 2019, 07:17 PM)
Within that price range there are some decent models which suitable for you. As what you have mention, the Raven SE-R is quite a good model for the price which around RM5k for a laptop with RTX2060, 144hz display 100% SRGB, good body build and okish weight that around 1.9kg and good cooling that suit what you are doing.

The downside of that machine is mediocre speaker and no thunderbolt, if you are ok with this, this model consider the best choice for you. And since you are doing editing work, do choose i7 instead of a i5
I see i see. I have yet to have a look at the Raven SE-R physically, so i cannot judge on the body build yet exactly. But from the photo, it looks simple and minimalistic.

Ahh yes no thunderbolt..but RTX cards should be quite good enough, right? I heard like thunderbolt can use for external graphics card, so i guess dont really need thunderbolt if RTX graphics are good enough, right? Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Speakers wise, i know laptop speakers arent great anyway. Thats why i always use my headphone if possible. Or my earphones. And i have external speakers for blasting my musics haha
Jescon
post Nov 2 2019, 11:46 AM

Casual
452 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 11:37 AM)
I see i see. I have yet to have a look at the Raven SE-R physically, so i cannot judge on the body build yet exactly. But from the photo, it looks simple and minimalistic.

Ahh yes no thunderbolt..but RTX cards should be quite good enough, right? I heard like thunderbolt can use for external graphics card, so i guess dont really need thunderbolt if RTX graphics are good enough, right? Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Speakers wise, i know laptop speakers arent great anyway. Thats why i always use my headphone if possible. Or my earphones. And i have external speakers for blasting my musics haha
RTX 2060 (mobile) is actually sufficient for 1080p gaming, maybe even 1440p, @60FPS. Doubt you will need an E-GPU.

I bought the Raven SE recently, I'm using it mainly for lidar point cloud processing, so it's not really dependent on the graphic card (mine is 1650 4GB only). I would say:

1) build-quality is okay; comparative to lenovo. Don't expect HP omen level build.

2) Fans are quite loud.

Other than that, its performance is good.
TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 2 2019, 03:11 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(Jescon @ Nov 2 2019, 11:46 AM)
RTX 2060 (mobile) is actually sufficient for 1080p gaming, maybe even 1440p, @60FPS. Doubt you will need an E-GPU.

I bought the Raven SE recently, I'm using it mainly for lidar point cloud processing, so it's not really dependent on the graphic card (mine is 1650 4GB only). I would say:

1) build-quality is okay; comparative to lenovo. Don't expect HP omen level build.

2) Fans are quite loud.

Other than that, its performance is good.
Yeaaa..but wondering whether to go for RTX2060 or GTX1660Ti enough already.

Ohhh..how was your experience with the laptop so far? And with them, illegear? HP Omen build very good? How loud is the fans? Like super duper loud can annoy other people?
ZM Fong
post Nov 2 2019, 04:41 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 11:24 AM)
Ohhh..got promo code and shopback. Will have a look into that. Do you have any other suggestions of different models or brands?

And what sort of tuning?

What do you think of these dell laptops? Got any reviews on these?
For other options you can check out the pinned gaming laptop list

CPU undervolting+power limit tuning but also GPU undervolting

Avoid Dell G series, all run hot
Jescon
post Nov 2 2019, 04:46 PM

Casual
452 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 03:11 PM)
Yeaaa..but wondering whether to go for RTX2060 or GTX1660Ti enough already.

Ohhh..how was your experience with the laptop so far? And with them, illegear? HP Omen build very good? How loud is the fans? Like super duper loud can annoy other people?
I would go RTX 2060 for future proof. I mean there's already 1660 Super that beats Ti now.

Laptop's performing good. No issues thus far. Illegear sales is ok, except they don't seem to know the difference between proforma invoice and quotation. Lel.

HP Omen's build is harder plastic, but to me... Spec vs price don't seem worth it.

The fans are quite loud for my taste actually, but no so loud like a cheap desktop pc la.
TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 2 2019, 07:12 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Nov 2 2019, 04:41 PM)
For other options you can check out the pinned gaming laptop list

CPU undervolting+power limit tuning but also GPU undervolting

Avoid Dell G series, all run hot
The gaming laptops approval list? Okok will check it out.

What about these Acer Predators? What is your take on Acer Predators? I saw them in mid valley roadshows before. But that time i think was GTX1060 gpu.

https://bit.ly/2NwL5wc

https://bit.ly/2PEFXbP

https://bit.ly/327yO6s

Side note, why Dell G series all run hot? Heatsink not good and airflow not enough? Design wise i see quite rhobust..from photo la
ZM Fong
post Nov 2 2019, 07:21 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 07:12 PM)
The gaming laptops approval list? Okok will check it out.

What about these Acer Predators? What is your take on Acer Predators? I saw them in mid valley roadshows before. But that time i think was GTX1060 gpu.

https://bit.ly/2NwL5wc

https://bit.ly/2PEFXbP

https://bit.ly/327yO6s

Side note, why Dell G series all run hot? Heatsink not good and airflow not enough? Design wise i see quite rhobust..from photo la
PH315-52 is the good one. Sadly Malaysia only has 2060 model which makes it a bit expensive (around 5k for i5, 6k for i7)

Triton 500 is decent for a thin and light, but has weak CPU cooling. Better get Vapor 15 Pro

I cannot confirm the reasons why the cooling suck, but these are the possible reasons: crappy stock paste, weak fans, airflow suck, shared heatpipes (though this depends on the cooling design itself - some models can handle heat well in CPU+GPU combined load even with all shared heatpipes)

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Nov 2 2019, 07:22 PM
TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 2 2019, 07:28 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(Jescon @ Nov 2 2019, 04:46 PM)
I would go RTX 2060 for future proof. I mean there's already 1660 Super that beats Ti now.

Laptop's performing good. No issues thus far. Illegear sales is ok, except they don't seem to know the difference between proforma invoice and quotation. Lel.

HP Omen's build is harder plastic, but to me... Spec vs price don't seem worth it.

The fans are quite loud for my taste actually, but no so loud like a cheap desktop pc la.
I seeee..If i have the money, i would go for RTX2070 laptop but then must as well i build a desktop with that budget already. Eh? 1660 Super for desktop GPU only mah hahaha. Laptop still no Super series, from what i researched.

Oh maybe new staff kot? Hahaha HP Omen design quite nice..to me la
Jescon
post Nov 2 2019, 07:57 PM

Casual
452 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 07:28 PM)
I seeee..If i have the money, i would go for RTX2070 laptop but then must as well i build a desktop with that budget already. Eh? 1660 Super for desktop GPU only mah hahaha. Laptop still no Super series, from what i researched.

Oh maybe new staff kot? Hahaha HP Omen design quite nice..to me la
Oops, my bad. Gave a bad example for importance of future-proofing. Yeah, no Super for laptops as of now.
TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 3 2019, 11:26 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Nov 2 2019, 07:21 PM)
PH315-52 is the good one. Sadly Malaysia only has 2060 model which makes it a bit expensive (around 5k for i5, 6k for i7)

Triton 500 is decent for a thin and light, but has weak CPU cooling. Better get Vapor 15 Pro

I cannot confirm the reasons why the cooling suck, but these are the possible reasons: crappy stock paste, weak fans, airflow suck, shared heatpipes (though this depends on the cooling design itself - some models can handle heat well in CPU+GPU combined load even with all shared heatpipes)
Ahh I see i see.Too bad then. Vapor 15 Pro? Which brand is that? Never heard of it

TSrorrimcalb
post Nov 3 2019, 11:29 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(Jescon @ Nov 2 2019, 07:57 PM)
Oops, my bad. Gave a bad example for importance of future-proofing. Yeah, no Super for laptops as of now.
haha no worries. Super series laptops would be interesting though. To compare with current generation laptops. Wonder how much will be pricing and performance be.
ZM Fong
post Nov 4 2019, 12:05 AM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 3 2019, 11:26 PM)
Vapor 15 Pro? Which brand is that? Never heard of it
Level51/Aftershock Vapor 15 Pro aka Eluktronics Mag-15
hamjun0225
post Nov 4 2019, 01:06 PM

Casual
388 posts

Illegear just updated website with 11.11 promo, got a lot of discounts and free upgrades.

15.6″ Full HD IPS Display with INFINIVISION Bezel-less Technology (60Hz/144Hz)
9th gen. Intel i5-9300H / i7-9750H
Nvidia GTX1050 3GB (2019 Edition) / GTX1650 4GB / RTX2060 6GB
16GB DDR4 RAM (PROMO)
512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 6TB)
4-zone RGB Tactile Keyboard
Matmaster Gaming Mousepad (PROMO)
1.9kg | 20mm

I5 & GTX1050 (FHD 60Hz) RM3,040
I7 & GTX1050 (FHD 60Hz) R̶M̶3̶,̶3̶7̶0̶ RM3,324
I5 & GTX1650 (FHD 60Hz) R̶M̶3̶,̶3̶7̶0̶ RM3,324
I7 & GTX1650 (FHD 60Hz) R̶M̶3̶,̶7̶0̶2̶ RM3,608
I7 & GTX1650 (FHD 144Hz) R̶M̶3̶,̶9̶8̶7̶ RM3,844
I5 & RTX2060 (FHD 144Hz) RM4,655
I7 & RTX2060 (FHD 144Hz) R̶M̶5̶,̶0̶3̶4̶ RM4,939

https://store.illegear.com/game-ready-perfo...r-raven-se.html
LeeroyJenkinss
post Nov 5 2019, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(rorrimcalb @ Nov 2 2019, 11:37 AM)

Usually thunderbolt are for production people who use for professionals work, or you always needed to use high speed type-C cable, then yes thunderbolt is a merit. a normal type-C also quite fast to read and write files.

RTX graphic is fin depending on what you are doing, if you are gamer, depending what game you play, it is a decent card. If you are doing creative work which need AI for indepth rendering, you will prefer RTX more. Some laptop have good speakers but not from current ILLEGEAR laptop though, but the spec and price and the overall quality is good

Mrsaitama
post Nov 13 2019, 11:29 AM

Casual
352 posts

wait black friday or 12.12 offer, with shopback u can get around rm5.2k with this spec below

user posted image
victorr
post Nov 14 2019, 09:34 AM

Casual
431 posts

You can check YouTube videos where they compare 1660ti and 2060 fps in game. See if its enough for you. Most probably they test out the games you play.

To me I think 1660ti has the best price/performance ratio. Big difference from 1650.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:18 AM