Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Use old iPad as digital music source, need coaxial

views

TSaudionutter
post Oct 20 2019, 04:50 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
144 posts

I am going to use an old iPad2 as a digital music source and stream from Spotify etc. The iPad should be able to output digital via its USB cable, so I am looking for a cheap USB to Coaxial/SPDIF/Toslink digital to digital converter which can then connect to my AV system which only has coaxial/SPDIF/Toslink input. I dont need a DAC. Anyone know where I can get what I need? TQ
ClieOS
post Oct 21 2019, 09:29 AM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

The simple answer is: it is not that simple.

The Lightning port on Apple iOS devices are not a standard USB implementation. Apple puts in a little something called MFi (Made-For-iOS) into the Lightning port so you can't just connect any USB device into the iPad, as MFi has a certain encryption that will stop regular USB device to work on iOS devices. The Apple preferred way is for manufacturer to pay Apple a licensing fee and buy a tiny MFi chip from Apple to put into their USB device, which your iPad will check for it before letting you use it. Many of the expensive USB DAC that are marketed for iDevice go this way (hence they are not cheap). There is however generally two other ways to get pass it: first, the manufacturer puts a hacked chip inside their USB devices to fool the Apple's MFi chip, or second, you need to get a genuine Apple camera connection kit (which has a MFi chip inside) to put between your iPad and the USB device. The latter is the most common way for people get get digital audio signal out of Apple devices.

An USB to SPDIF/ToslInk convertor can be easily found on eBay, Amazon, Taobao, etc.
andrekua2
post Oct 21 2019, 09:58 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

QUOTE(ClieOS @ Oct 21 2019, 09:29 AM)
The simple answer is: it is not that simple.

The Lightning port on Apple iOS devices are not a standard USB implementation. Apple puts in a little something called MFi (Made-For-iOS) into the Lightning port so you can't just connect any USB device into the iPad, as MFi has a certain encryption that will stop regular USB device to work on iOS devices. The Apple preferred way is for manufacturer to pay Apple a licensing fee and buy a tiny MFi chip from Apple to put into their USB device, which your iPad will check for it before letting you use it. Many of the expensive USB DAC that are marketed for iDevice go this way (hence they are not cheap). There is however generally two other ways to get pass it: first, the manufacturer puts a hacked chip inside their USB devices to fool the Apple's MFi chip, or second, you need to get a genuine Apple camera connection kit (which has a MFi chip inside) to put between your iPad and the USB device. The latter is the most common way for people get get digital audio signal out of Apple devices.

An USB to SPDIF/ToslInk convertor can be easily found on eBay, Amazon, Taobao, etc.
Lightning port is not even available on iPad2. Honestly it way too expensive to spend on something like the proprietary 30pin port.

Better buy those bluetooth receiver for just RM100 or below.
ktek
post Oct 21 2019, 01:55 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

airplay can support?
TSaudionutter
post Oct 21 2019, 02:57 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

Ipad2 uses 30 pin and not lightning connector and yes, I am looking for a 30pin camera connector kit also.

Also looking for recommendations for cheap USB to Coaxial/SPDIF/Toslink digital to digital converter
power911
post Oct 22 2019, 12:07 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

why not just headphone out?

I believe ipad2 still has headphone jacks
and what av system is that? no analog in?
I mean we are going cheap here right? I don't remember anything with 30pin is cheap.
TSaudionutter
post Oct 22 2019, 12:22 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

Digital output better sound quality than headphone analogue output. Av already have DAC.

One option is to use Apple TV and the Toslink optical output but this is via wifi on same network and not as portable if go somewhere else

Second option is to use 30pin camera connector with USB into a USB/SPDIF coaxial converter

Third option is to use a docking station with Toslink/SPDIF output

Looking for the cheapest option as this is more of a casual setup to make use of an old iPad2 that otherwise is gathering dust due to being outdated
wkkm007
post Oct 29 2019, 12:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,116 posts

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ak-connect-2-0/id1234139510

AK Connect is free to use

https://www.whathifi.com/google/chromecast-audio/review

This product has been discontinued

Just need to connect the Google Chromecast Audio and the iPad under the same Wi-Fi wireless router is ok even without an internet connection if you just playback from offline local internal storage file .flac .wav or even .mp3.
jimbet1337
post Nov 19 2019, 12:15 AM

meh
2,391 posts

Get chromecast audio & use toslink connection.

I use it for my leisure listening (spotify etc) for years now.
TSaudionutter
post Nov 19 2019, 07:23 AM

Getting Started
144 posts

I went for option 3 and using a docking station with Toslink and SPDIF coaxial digital output, works very well!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:54 AM