Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Newbie rider here

views

ajaibman
post Dec 2 2019, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Dec 2 2019, 02:50 PM)
Yes. I did. My last bike was a 150cc 2 stroke. That was more than 20 years ago. Then I bought a 600cc 4 stroke 4 cylinder sport tourer a few years back. Was a little scary at first but then, I got over it with more riding under the belt.
And when he took off his glasses while riding.....

Thats it...
TSRightslash
post Dec 3 2019, 01:54 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(Karenalvin @ Dec 2 2019, 11:08 AM)
i mentioned that modern big bikes, being lighter and chock full of rider aid, are much easier to handle than those from yesteryears... so it is entirely possible to start on a 650... but using being able to handle big bike in the centre as a yardstick for the decision is not the best.

I have no doubt that you might well above average in riding and can pick it up quicker than most, but always remember, getting B full means being able to ride in a circuit on second gear at low revs and no traffic out to kill you and for most people it can indeed be much more dangerous to be in this learning phase on a big bike.

but if one were to start with a 650, then it should preferably comes with ABS at the minimum rather than those without.
Thanks for the feedback, true that on the road would be different from the centre but I think I should be able to handle a 650cc and definitely would get one with abs, everyone that also went for b full also told me that they would or already have a 600+cc bikes and those that have already gotten the bike said they recommend getting a 600 instead but a 250 is also ok.
lowpro
post Dec 3 2019, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(Rightslash @ Dec 3 2019, 01:54 AM)
Thanks for the feedback, true that on the road would be different from the centre but I think I should be able to handle a 650cc and definitely would get one with abs, everyone that also went for b full also told me that they would or already have a 600+cc bikes and those that have already gotten the bike said they recommend getting a 600 instead but a 250 is also ok.
Those sport tourer or naked 650 bikes should be tame enough and easy for you to handle. The RR are the ones that need much more respect.
lowpro
post Dec 3 2019, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(ajaibman @ Dec 2 2019, 02:56 PM)
And when he took off his glasses while riding.....

Thats it...
thumbup.gif
ExCrIpT
post Dec 8 2019, 02:53 PM

Regular
1,664 posts

newbie here, just got myself a cb250r and i dont know much bout bikes,
been riding that er6n at the academy and i find that i can engage to 2nd (15km/h) or 3rd gear at low speed without the bike struggling to move, its like buttery smooth

where as the cb250r struggles alot at low speed, just wondering why? the rubber band effect is huge on the cb250r compared to the er6n.

ThE DaReDeViL
post Dec 8 2019, 03:16 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(ExCrIpT @ Dec 8 2019, 02:53 PM)
been riding that er6n at the academy and i find that i can engage to 2nd (15km/h) or 3rd gear at low speed without the bike struggling to move, its like buttery smooth

where as the cb250r struggles alot at low speed, just wondering why? the rubber band effect is huge on the cb250r compared to the er6n.
Difference is 250cc vs 650cc... How can u expect it to behave the same when the cc is so much different? You can compare both the torque and HP of both bikes... Anyway, as for your bike is Single cylinder, I think you should learn how to play around with clutch then it wouldn't be any big problem. If I'm not mistaken, singpe cylinder should be easier than 2 cylinder in pick up... Sorry if I'm wrong, as my knowledge is quite limited also...
basilisk
post Dec 8 2019, 05:09 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(ExCrIpT @ Dec 8 2019, 02:53 PM)

@ sucha slow speed y u still wana use 3rd gear brudder ?

@ least stay @ tht 2nd gear.

are you lazy to change gear type?
or jz love to chuck in low rpm ?
ExCrIpT
post Dec 8 2019, 05:39 PM

Regular
1,664 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Dec 8 2019, 05:09 PM)
@ sucha slow speed y u still wana use 3rd gear brudder ?

@ least stay @ tht 2nd gear.

are you lazy to change gear type?
or jz love to chuck in low rpm ?
yeah i kinda like to chuck in low rpm, even with manual cars i usually switch gears on low rev once the engine reaches a certain "sound pitch".

oh the instructor at the academy told me to use 2nd gear and 3rd gear if can whenever possible and that's what i did lol.

not used to reving high heh. need more time to get used to it.

First gear, moto rev meter was at 4 k but only going at 15km/h, switch to second gear, start choking d.

in the academy, if i did that on the er6n no problem wo, buttery smooth gear switching.even third gear with 20-25km/h without any choking

just Wanna understand why a 650 doesnt stall/choke on low speed when its obvious that the gear/speed ratio doesnt match at all but a 250 will.

if its the difference in CC on a motor that allows it to have a smooth gear transition with low speed then aiyo.....

This post has been edited by ExCrIpT: Dec 8 2019, 05:45 PM
ExCrIpT
post Dec 8 2019, 05:40 PM

Regular
1,664 posts

QUOTE(ThE DaReDeViL @ Dec 8 2019, 03:16 PM)
Difference is 250cc vs 650cc... How can u expect it to behave the same when the cc is so much different? You can compare both the torque and HP of both bikes... Anyway, as for your bike is Single cylinder, I think you should learn how to play around with clutch then it wouldn't be any big problem. If I'm not mistaken, singpe cylinder should be easier than 2 cylinder in pick up... Sorry if I'm wrong, as my knowledge is quite limited also...
yes, that's what i realized after riding it back home yesterday.

basilisk
post Dec 8 2019, 05:50 PM

30 posts

bigger cc will hv more torque @ any rpm.
250vs 650 there.

if 650vs 650
less cylinder will hv more torque @ lower rpm.
ThE DaReDeViL
post Dec 8 2019, 06:08 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(ExCrIpT @ Dec 8 2019, 05:39 PM)
yeah i kinda like to chuck in low rpm, even with manual cars i usually switch gears on low rev once the engine reaches a certain "sound pitch".

oh the instructor at the academy told me to use 2nd gear and 3rd gear if can whenever possible and that's what i did lol.

not used to reving high heh. need more time to get used to it.

First gear, moto rev meter was at 4 k but only going at 15km/h, switch to second gear, start choking d.

in the academy, if i did that on the er6n no problem wo, buttery smooth gear switching.even third gear with 20-25km/h without any choking

just Wanna understand why a 650 doesnt stall/choke on low speed when its obvious that the gear/speed ratio doesnt match at all but a 250 will.

if its the difference in CC on a motor that allows it to have a smooth gear transition with low speed then aiyo.....
I actually upshift very early also, unless when that day when I wanna have wild mood on.. hehe... Plus with aftermarket exhaust, I feel like abusing the bike too much if keep high revving... To be honest, 1st reason for me to get a 650 over 250 after tested both is because I wanna cruise smoothly @ 140-150.. 2nd is that I don't need to downshift too much when in traffic...
kshen
post Dec 28 2019, 10:14 PM

If only these stars are edilbe
702 posts

QUOTE(Rightslash @ Oct 18 2019, 11:55 AM)
Hey, brand new rider here. Just started my kpp02 (b full) but I think I should practice on a kapcai first before continuing. I don't really know anyone that ride bikes near my area to help me practice so was wondering if anyone here that lives near my area wouldn't mind lending their bike and help me practice smile.gif

Currently saving up for a kapcai too but then I'm not to sure on how to buy used reliable bikes.
Hi TS , just sharing my experience here (didn't read through all the replies here, so excuse me if it's repetitive). And my apologies, long post ahead.

I'd suggest practicing at the centre as much as possible, I know some mention that once you capped at the required hours needed you need to pay extra, but some centres have really good teachers whom don't mind you coming anytime of the day to practice as many times as you like. That was me at IMKL Gombak Centre, the instructor allowed everyone to practice the bike as many times as possible foc.

I too was like you , developed a love for bikes (specifically sport bikes lol because of my neighbours S1000RR and RT90) and decided to take my license for future purposes. I decided to take Bfull instead of progressing from B2 (or was it B1 lol) despite being advised not to , I still took it regardless since I didn't see the worth in retaking the test again and paying more. Mind you I was a virgin to bikes , never rode any bikes before throughout my whole life.

Did I struggle ? A lot. Lol but I didn't regret it. On the first day of my practice , I spent hours on a kapchai first and on the same day itself started training on the er6n after the same instructor ,mentioned above, told me I was ready. Compared to a kapchai, I was more familiar to the er6n than a kapchai because I did plenty of research beforehand on how to ride a bike (how to operate the clutch, gear , etc...). I fumbled on the kapchai, didn't even know how to fully stand a kapchai or shift gears lol.

Since then, I took the time to practice at the centre once a week (still doing my degree with tons of workload and exams). If I had holidays , I would practice everyday. Kept on practicing and refining my skiills with the help of the sifus here in LYN (everyone here is very supportive). Honestly, I hated the er6n because it was super heavy, heavier than the z650, but having to practice with the er6n gives you better experience for heavier bikes (maybe, I found it easier to manoeuvre with the z650 since it was a much lighter bike).

I'm thankful enough that my dad gifted me a R25 (was eyeing a secondhand benelli TNT25) and supported my hobby. Took the R25 and slapped that L sticker on and practice with that bike during my free time, again with information obtained from the internet and advise from the sifus here. Btw , a 250cc 2 cylinder bike vs a 650cc 2 cylinder bikes is VERY different in terms of weight and power for a beginner (though that margin isn't the same when compared to a 2 cylinder from a 4 cylinder), yes the power churned out by the 650 cc is forgiving but for a beginner it can be very intimidating especially for someone new to bikes.

Fast forward after a few months , got my license and kept riding as much as I can. Until today I'm still practicing on improving my skills on my r25. I guess you never stop learning, you just keep improving and refining your skills to be a better rider.

Stories aside , I'd recommend that you get a manual bike so you can practice with clutch work and overall practice on a manual since you'll be riding the er6n. The weight, power and feel ill be different. While doing so, head to the centre as often as you can to practice on the 650cc bike because at the end of the day, you'll be using their 650cc bikes for thea jpj exam.

Best of luck or rather Congrats (if you've passed your test)

Feel free to ask anything in this forum no matter how silly it may be , the sifus here are very supportive and helpful.

This post has been edited by kshen: Dec 28 2019, 10:21 PM

6 Pages « < 4 5 6Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:44 PM