Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Microsoft confirms UWP isn't the future of Windows, Good grief

views

TSMussel
post Oct 17 2019, 12:06 PM, updated 5y ago

Casual
433 posts

To be frank, I am one of loyal Microsoft fan (except for Pascal or Delphi), and when comes to software development with MS, the feeling isn't always great.

Luckily I stopped investing my time on UWP several months ago.

Posted on May 8, 2019 by Paul Thurrott

.....Instead of blindly pushing forward with its failed strategy to make Universal Windows Apps (UWPs) the only truly-modern platform for building Windows apps, Microsoft has, over time, opened up more and more UWP functionality to non-UWP platforms. This includes legacy platforms that Microsoft once deprecated, like Win32, WPF, and WinForms. So what’s old is new again.....

....Gallo told Mary Jo Foley that neither UWP nor the Microsoft Store was dead. (I have stated point blank that UWP is dead and I recently questioned whether the Microsoft Store had a future given that most users install apps from elsewhere.)......

.....Put another way, UWP is dead. Not literally—it’s still the only way to create WinCore apps that run across Windows 10, HoloLens, Surface Hub, and IoT—but effectively.....

.....Microsoft is doing what developers want. And what developers want is not UWP. Or the Microsoft Store, as it turns out.
This post has been edited by Mussel: Oct 17 2019, 12:07 PM
SUSjbcoder
post Oct 17 2019, 04:14 PM

Enthusiast
783 posts

.net core should be the one they're shooting for.

I am looking forward to it.
island
post Oct 27 2019, 01:33 PM

Regular
1,731 posts

since wp8. UWP kind of nice platforms, just the CEO, LOVE Azure lol, big $$$ cloud business. lately, on xamarin. Yeah insane, from vb.net to C#. Only issues now, it's the developer payouts. Can't electronic transfer from EU to local bank. only the PayPal, PayPal came with lots of headaches issues
MaxPayne00 P
post Nov 3 2019, 10:25 PM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(Mussel @ Oct 17 2019, 01:06 PM)
To be frank, I am one of loyal Microsoft fan (except for Pascal or Delphi), and when comes to software development with MS, the feeling isn't always great.

Luckily I stopped investing my time on UWP several months ago.
I'm a Microsoft fan like you. You did a great job by stopping investing time on UWP.

Regards,
Kasey.
island
post Nov 20 2019, 01:44 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

Goes 3 in 1 , Xamarin
Lord Tiki Mick
post Nov 20 2019, 01:40 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

UWP is not bad actually. Since the UI is separated from the logic, it'll be easier when you want to change the layout.
pocongmakenon P
post Nov 26 2019, 01:49 PM

Probation
1 posts

Their documentation is suck. If you have already experience building in .Net you are so fortunate. But for newbie it is not relevant to dump all things.
island
post Nov 27 2019, 06:55 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

UWP documentations is awesome came with many sample projects, unlike android various brand platforms drive you crazy each differ SDK API. UWP is the most easy, it's look alike HTML coding. only USA government killed Windows phone due to TOO secure, no spyware work on WP and Windows Mobile 10.

This post has been edited by island: Nov 27 2019, 06:55 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:38 AM