Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

CRT monitors, have you seen them?, Looking for crt 18"

views

TSHansLau
post Jan 7 2020, 09:10 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(svfn @ Jan 5 2020, 11:48 PM)
17" is not too small depending on purposes, it's perfectly sized for DOS games or late 90s gaming, it's not much smaller than a 19", the biggest difference is the max resolution supported, and if you really want up to 1600x1200. Even on 19" at max res the refresh rate only 60-75hz not 85hz and you'd want to lower the res to get a higher refresh.

20 year old CRTs is definitely not going to be a replacement for modern usage, it's very rare to see someone using it as their daily driver for many obvious reasons.

Also we are all a little too late to hunt for these relics now (I also realized after hunting for old computer parts sweat.gif), might have more luck around 2010 or so, most have been scrapped en mass like e-waste, people don't give second thought to stuff they see as junk.

Not too long ago there was a Trinitron on carousell but I think also not your required size of 19"-21". I would grab any Trinitron monitor if you managed to find one locally even though only 17". Because even if you find 19" ones, there's also the type of tube involved (SM/AP/Slot mask), it's just not going to be the same experience if you pick up random CRTs.
You're quite familiar with the technology. Ya I don't understand why old retro hardware is so hard to come by in Malaysia. People really just see them as junk.

I almost snatched at 17" Dell Trinitron but apparently it was already sold. And on Reddit you'd see people post abiut picking them up for free.
elemont
post Jan 12 2020, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
105 posts

QUOTE(HansLau @ Jan 7 2020, 09:10 PM)
You're quite familiar with the technology. Ya I don't understand why old retro hardware is so hard to come by in Malaysia. People really just see them as junk.

I almost snatched at 17" Dell Trinitron but apparently it was already sold. And on Reddit you'd see people post abiut picking them up for free.
I dont mind old tech, buy i feel CRT is really junk. The cons of bulky monitor simply overshadow any benefits it has.Unless you have a big house with a dedicated room to store junk, which is why most Malaysian dont care about CRT.
TSHansLau
post Jan 12 2020, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(elemont @ Jan 12 2020, 11:40 AM)
I dont mind old tech, buy i feel CRT is really junk. The cons of bulky monitor simply overshadow any benefits it has.Unless you have a big house with a dedicated room to store junk, which is why most Malaysian dont care about CRT.
I agree that they are better Monitors out today, but I won't consider it junk. Even old cars have people who like them. Mainly comes down to cost, a high refresh rate IPS monitor with good colours would cost atleast 600. 1000+ if you want more features, like Gsync, HDR..

In this area, CRT cannot be beat for the price. Even an top CRT won't cost that much, unless I really want find rare collectibles. I'm waiting for HDR to become mainstream, then only will buying a new monitor be worth it

This post has been edited by HansLau: Jan 12 2020, 02:38 PM
Biotherm8
post Mar 23 2020, 01:28 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(HansLau @ Jan 12 2020, 02:38 PM)
I agree that they are better Monitors out today, but I won't consider it junk. Even old cars have people who like them. Mainly comes down to cost, a high refresh rate IPS monitor with good colours would cost atleast 600. 1000+ if you want more features, like Gsync, HDR..

In this area, CRT cannot be beat for the price. Even an top CRT  won't cost that much, unless I really want find rare collectibles. I'm waiting for HDR to become mainstream, then only will buying a new monitor be worth it
user posted image

user posted image

My CRT Television 😄
TSHansLau
post Mar 23 2020, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Biotherm8 @ Mar 23 2020, 01:28 AM)
user posted image

user posted image

My CRT Television 😄
Wow sweet, my Grandma used to have one like that, but they threw it away. We still have some of those vintage coca cola bottles though. How did you obtain it?
Biotherm8
post Mar 23 2020, 10:25 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(HansLau @ Mar 23 2020, 07:09 PM)
Wow sweet, my Grandma used to have one like that, but they threw it away. We still have some of those vintage coca cola bottles though. How did you obtain it?
Sorry for my broken english.
You means how i obtain the tv ?
I bought it from antiques shop , no function, need send to repair.
TSHansLau
post Mar 28 2020, 05:39 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Biotherm8 @ Mar 23 2020, 10:25 PM)
Sorry for my broken english.
You means how i obtain the tv ?
I bought it from antiques shop , no function, need send to repair.
Don't think can repair, nowadays nobody repair CRT anymore
cycquest
post Nov 25 2020, 08:42 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

would like to know anyone still have crt?

TSHansLau
post Dec 6 2020, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(cycquest @ Nov 25 2020, 08:42 PM)
would like to know anyone still have crt?
Only can find 17" samsung ones

5 Pages « < 3 4 5Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM