Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Transition from Software Dev. to Project Manager

views

TScoolbuddha91
post Oct 12 2019, 03:52 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
97 posts

I'm a software developer. However, there are many other fields in IT I can transition into. So, how's it like to transition from a software developer to a project manager in Malaysia? What should I do if I intend to do so? Any advice and experienced sharing is much appreciated.
l4nunm4l4y4
post Oct 12 2019, 04:11 PM

Enthusiast
749 posts

If you are making a transition from dev to PM,

1. Don’t give IN to any request for change unless the client signs it off. Client must know any change request will impact on delivery timeline - esp if its a major change

2. You have to be tough - learn up on negotiation skills as software devs tend to be introvert and can’t explain in layman’s term.

3. Get the project sponsor buy-in and involvement and not their HODs/Managers

TScoolbuddha91
post Oct 12 2019, 04:17 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(coolbuddha91 @ Oct 12 2019, 03:52 PM)
I'm a software developer. However, there are many other fields in IT I can transition into. So, how's it like to transition from a software developer to a project manager in Malaysia? What should I do if I intend to do so? Any advice and experience sharing is much appreciated.
I want to know the process to transition from a software dev. to a project maanger too. thanks.
pharmchan
post Oct 14 2019, 12:23 PM

18 posts

i think the crucial process to transition from sw dev to PM is, u have apply to the PM job first. when u get it the transiton is basially related to the job description itself.

sense75
post Oct 15 2019, 07:57 AM

Life must go on...
659 posts

QUOTE(coolbuddha91 @ Oct 12 2019, 04:17 PM)
I want to know the process to transition from a software dev. to a project maanger too. thanks.
go to pursue ITIL and PMP and try to manage the small scale project yourself and arrange meeting with project members instead of totally rely on PM to do the job.
TIM3R12
post Oct 15 2019, 08:45 AM

27 posts

If I am not wrong you can take a project management qualification test for a smoother job change
Expert Pundit
post Oct 16 2019, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

I think there are some classes / certs for Project Management. That will enhance you chances to become a PM.
tishaban
post Oct 17 2019, 11:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

If you're talking about about training or certification, there are some out there. Not sure how much they are or if it's worth it but talk to people to find out

Far more important though is communications skills, mindset and experience. You need a bigger picture view when doing project management to ensure all stakeholders are being accounted for. This includes timelines, risk management etc. You need to be able to communicate effectively especially if your team is not in one location.

Finally there's experience. When you want to describe the projects you've managed, it's scope, timeframe, budget, maybe role and team size. For example, I managed a 6-month strategic analytics project, targeting senior management across the whole enterprise. Budget was roughly $1m with a team size of 10.

I personally am not a project manager by training but have run many many projects in my career. I like the new agile project management methodology, gravitating towards lean/kanban style.

How to transition? Go volunteer for it. Follow the methodology to familiarize yourself and start from there.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:30 AM