Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Beelink Gemini X55 Mini PC (Real World Review), Smooth 4K60FPS Playback

views

TSvoncrane
post Oct 10 2019, 04:43 AM, updated 4y ago

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Hey all, welcome to another one of my real world reviews. This time, it's of the similarly palm-sized Beelink Gemini X55. It's the more powerful model in the Gemini series (X45 & X55). It looks and feels almost exactly like the Beelink J45 Mini-PC. But is specced with the significantly better CPU. Intel's Silver J5005 Processor, capable of up to 2.80 GHz. It also sports the Intel HD Graphics 605 GPU, instead of the Intel HD Graphics 600, present in the Gemini X45 or the Intel HD Graphics 505 in the J45. Bumping the HW specs now ensures smoother and proper 4K60FPS playback, opposed to the max 4K30FPS in previous models. Given that this is a Mini-PC, I shall focus on providing as much information to assist with your purchase decision. Naturally, I remain open to further specific testing and or questions that might need to be answered.

The Beelink Gemini X55 sports a black shiny and glossy top with both Beelink & Intel wording and logo. The device is made of plastic or glass-like material on the top, metal all around the sides and some rubber stands on the bottom, to ease airflow. This is in addition to the adequate air-vents on the sides & cooling fan unit inside. Throughout my extended usage of the X55, I rarely heard it. I was sure to use it for long hours each day, shutting down at night time. Noise or cooling-wise? I was impressed with its excellent cooling, as it's so silent you'll forget it's even there.

Attached Image

Typically, I tend to begin with updating the system as much as possible before commencing usage and tests. Cold Boot takes a total of 14 seconds for a fully loaded desktop. Though just 6 seconds from pushing the power button till the welcome screen shows. Shutdown takes about 4-6 seconds, depending on actions it has to complete before safely shutting down. All in all, good times. I also like that the power button (rubber) at the front has a status led that flashes blue once to signal power is plugged in or if in sleep mode, and then stays blue when powered on and or in sleep mode. I used Intel's own Driver and Support Assistant to update the above. Made the process much easier to complete. Plus, the software remains and keeps monitoring for driver updates and suggests them to you for install.

Updated Intel drivers
Intel® UHD Graphics 605
Driver Version: 25.20.100.6374 to 26.20.100.7212
Driver Date: 12/9/2019

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10
Installed Version: 20.100.0.4 (5/11/2018)
Latest Version: 20.100.6.3 (13/08/2019)

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Installed Version: 19.51.16.2 (10/22/2018)
Latest version: 19.51.24.3 (26/08/2019)

Specifications
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Physical Design

OOTD Build & Update Build Information

Network Speed Test

HWiNFO

CPU-Z

Novabench Scores
Online Results

SSD information and Speed Tests.
These were carried out using the trusty CrystalDiskInfo & CrystalDiskMark software.

YouTube Playback
YouTube Tests were carried out using the latest Chrome browser. The Windows bundled Microsoft Edge browser allows only up to max 1080p resolution. So I'd recommend using other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. The Beelink Gemini X55 has no issues playing videos off YouTube (up to 4K60FPS) either in Windowed or full-screen mode. Finally we get some smooth playback.

PassMark

PCMark

Linux friendly (Ubuntu Distro)

Some UserBenchmark Information
Summary & detailed results can be viewed from the following urls..An opinion that mirrors my own.
UserBenchmarks: Game 13%, Desk 36%, Work 21%
CPU: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 - 39%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 605 - 3.3%
SSD: SSD 256GB 256GB - 36.4%
RAM: ABCD 123456789012345678 4x2GB - 27.1%
MBD: AZW Gemini X55

Media Playback
Local files media playback was carried out using the latest (at time of writing) VLC Media Player (V3.0.8_Win64). Tested Big Buck Bunny files up to 4K, Quad-Full-HD (3840x2160) 60 fps with no playback issue. Similarly playing the standard Jellyfish files from "jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit" up to "jellyfish-200-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit", was smooth. For the 200mbps file, it did take just a little bit longer to begin, but once it's up.. it chugs along nicely.

Conclusion
At such price points versus performance and value, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. Particularly for those who have at least two 4K monitors and would like to enjoy dual output at full 4K60FPS. Thanks to the dual HDMI ports. If I had to nitpick on the design, it would be the closeness of the USB ports. For smaller flash drives, this should pose no issues, but for bigger and or fancier ones? Then space constraint will kick in. Especially at the front where the earphone jack is quite close to the rightmost USB port. Having used it as a daily driver for over a week, The Beelink Gemini X55 is definitely a clear winner over the other Beelink Mini-PCs I've tested so far.
Detailed System Reports
Attached File  PCMark_Result.pdf ( 587.84k ) Number of downloads: 6

Attached File  CPU_Z_TXT_Report.txt ( 71.64k ) Number of downloads: 5

Attached File  CrystalDiskMark_Report.txt ( 2k ) Number of downloads: 5

Attached File  Detailed_System_Report.html ( 10.56k ) Number of downloads: 4

Official Amazon US Store Purchase URL
Product information page...
Additional information on the Beelink Gemini X Mini PC...
Beelink official website
Beelink orders

If you want to order machines in bulk or become a Beelink distributor, please contact our foreign trade sales as follow. Discounts and further customized services are available.
Email contact information..

For more information, please pay attention to this space. I'd like to thank Beelink for providing the review unit. As usual, fellow forummers, do feel free to comment below should you require further specific information on the Beelink Gemini X55. I'll be glad to assist. smile.gif

This post has been edited by voncrane: Apr 27 2020, 09:42 AM
TSvoncrane
post Aug 7 2020, 09:31 AM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Attached Image

Portsgasm... shocking.gif wub.gif Hi all, just want to alert you good folks about Beelink's latest device being crowdfunded on Indiegogo. It's the GT-R Pro, an upgrade version of the Mini PC GT-R. During the this campign period, scheduled to run from now till Tuesday, 15 September 2020. You can buy GT-R Pro Mini PC at 40% off, which also happens to be a lower price than GT-R. This is a rare opportunity as it's only limited to the first 200 buyers. So if this beasty looking device has caught your attention? Head on over to IndieGoGo link to view detailed specs and secure yours.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Aug 7 2020, 09:31 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.34    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:56 AM