Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Signature not shown (Queries)

views

TSalexa
post Oct 9 2019, 02:39 PM, updated 6d ago

Big Boss
1,210 posts

-- Please keep your post concise to ensure a speedy review from us. We suggest 250 words or less. --

Why my signature is hidden if the guest looks at my post?
FusionX
post Oct 9 2019, 05:26 PM

Group Icon
Admin
2,326 posts

It is only visible to forum members.

I'm not sure about this but I think it is probably baked in to prevent search engines like Google from indexing keywords in user signatures?

Imagine you searching for the word "PC repair" in Google Search. You click on the result and you see a whole bunch of irrelevant results because a forum member is using a forum signature to advertise his PC repair service with the words "PC repair service. Call me at XXX-XXXXXX". And you see the same words in all of his posts in the whole forum, even when he's posting about cute dogs in the Pet section.
TSalexa
post Oct 9 2019, 08:30 PM

Big Boss
1,210 posts

QUOTE(FusionX @ Oct 9 2019, 05:26 PM)
It is only visible to forum members.

I'm not sure about this but I think it is probably baked in to prevent search engines like Google from indexing keywords in user signatures?

Imagine you searching for the word "PC repair" in Google Search. You click on the result and you see a whole bunch of irrelevant results because a forum member is using a forum signature to advertise his PC repair service with the words "PC repair service. Call me at XXX-XXXXXX". And you see the same words in all of his posts in the whole forum, even when he's posting about cute dogs in the Pet section.
Aha, I see. Understood!!! THANKS!!

Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    1.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th October 2019 - 03:14 AM