Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Ugreen USB 3.0 to Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock, Supports 2.5"/3.5" SSD/HDD up to 16TB.

views

TSvoncrane
post Oct 2 2019, 07:55 PM, updated 5y ago

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

Have you ever thought about setting up a home server? Sure, it’s not necessarily the most straightforward process in the world (depending on the type of equipment you’re using), but it’s a fun way to put your old hardware to use and or to further develop your computing skills. Besides, if you create your own server, there are some cool things you can do with it. If you’re thinking about building a personal server of any kind, keep reading to learn more about some of it's benefits and why I chose the HD dock versus going the typical NAS route.

Attached Image

1. I shall immediately address the elephant in the room.. Data and Control... I mean, why go through the trouble of setting up your own server when one can just use any of the "free" cloud service providers out there. For instance, Google Photos allows an "unlimited" storage of one's photos on their servers. Though with a clause, "Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up to 16MP and 1080p HD". Still using Google as an example, Here's a snippet from their terms of service

"Your Content. Google Drive allows you to upload, submit, store, send and receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.
When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through Google Drive, you give Google a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our services unless you delete your content. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to Google Drive.

Our Google Drive services. Using Google Drive does not give you ownership of any intellectual property rights in Google Drive or the content you access. You may not use content from Google Drive unless you obtain permission from its owner or are otherwise permitted by law. These terms do not grant you the right to use any branding or logos used in Google Drive. Don’t remove, obscure, or alter any legal notices displayed in or along with Google Drive."

While this is very well just okay for some people out there. There be those who demand more, whilst still retaining full control over their data.

2. You could host your websites and even create your very own gaming server..Some popular games that you can run on your own server include Minecraft, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress, and Call of Duty.
3. It's easier to create and store data backups on a home server. I'm not talking of backing up a single file or some files. But say one's entire hard drive. Given the rising use of SSDs (thanks to affordability) for personal usage, unlike the traditional spinning HD, that can output recognizable SMART errors "long" before they decide to die for real.. Giving ample chance for a backup. SSDs on the other hand have been known to simply (for lack of a better word) die. A perfectly healthy SSD with 98-99% of remaining lifespan can suddenly disappear from the system. Imagine that, one day you happily complete usage of your PC and safely shutdown. Next morning, the SSD's controller decides to malfunction at that point. Can you recover some of your data at such point off an SSD? Yup. However, I can tell you that it's pretty hard work and sometimes may involve a return to the manufacturer for assistance. Okay, enough with the gloom and doom.. laugh.gif
4. Most importantly, it's the ability to operate one's very own home media server. But, we live in an age of Netflix, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.. why should I have to mess with a DIY or regular NAS system? That's because most of us do have our own extensive collections of music, videos, pictures, work files, etc., and would like to possess a central hub to access and maintain it all. To make the process even easier, you can use services such as Plex, Kodi, or Emby to manage your media and control playback.
5. Lastly, there's the much lower cost involved. Okay, this is subjective. As what may be expensive or too much work for some people, might not be the same for others. Nevertheless, if you can get away with not spending thousands of ringgit (HDD costs not included yet) on a proper NAS device, while still getting more or less the same results as from a decent DIY one? Then I say go for it. I love to tinker, had some spare time and decided to finally setup a home server. In reality, anyone can make a home server using nothing more than an old laptop or a cheap piece of kit like a Raspberry Pi. My poison of choice happens to be a Mini-PC and the Ugreen USB 3.0 to Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock.

See below spoilers for hands on pictures.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Highlights
*Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station: Supports simultaneous connection of 2 × 2.5'' 3.5'' SATA I II III hard drive SSD HDD up to 16 TB and is compatible with all popular operation systems like Windows XP Vista 7 8 8.1 10 , Mac OS 10.4 to 10.13, Linux, Chrome.
*6Gbps USB 3.0 UASP Data Transfer Speed: USB 3.0 to SATA dock supports transfer speeds up to 6Gbps by UASP transfer protocol, which is up to 70% faster than conventional USB 3.0 ( Note: UASP is only available for WIN8, Mac OS 8 & 9, For other systems, 5Gbps is available)
*Computer-independent Offline Cloning: Supports offline data copy between two hard drives with no computer involved, which is helpful for data backup and storage. The integrated LED indicator shows the progress of the cloning process. Plug and play with no drivers and installation needed.
*Safety and Durability: Unique heat dissipation design of the hard drive dock helps dissipate heat faster. Enters sleep mode after lying idle for 15 minutes to save energy consumption and lengthen hard drive’s life. Multi-protection keeps the drive from short circuit, over current and over pressure.

What You Get in the box:
1x UGREEN USB to SATA Daul-Bay Hard Drive Docking Station;
1x USB 3.0 cable;
1x 12V/3A power adapter;
1x User Manual.

While doing a 3TB data transfer from a WD MY Book drive (using 2 USB 3.0 ports on my PC), I managed to get consistent speeds. The following image shows the maximum speed I could screen-grab, whilst watching the transfer. There were thousands of smaller files and naturally this took several hours, so I set most of it to happen overnight. Nevertheless, I am impressed with the quietness, transfer speeds and reliability of the device and drives so far.

Attached Image

The primary con would be that one's drives are exposed. I plan to build a makeshift container for mine, whilst still allowing ample cooling and slots for the cables. This should work well as the setup isn't one built for or with portability in mind. Though that too is an option. I've been using this Mini-PC & dual-bay drive setup as a dedicated seed-box & NAS. It's been running with two 3.5" 6TB WD Red (5400rpm) drives. Why WD Reds some may ask? It's because WD Red NAS Hard Drives are designed specifically for NAS systems that have 1 to 8 drive bays in both 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch form factors. These drives are purposely designed, built & tested for 24/7 conditions. Hence I can sleep easier knowing my data is more secure and less prone to sudden failure.

P.S. I did my research before settling on this. it also helped that I got a good price for it too. Feel free to grab the Ugreen USB 3.0 to Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock from your favorite physical or online store.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Oct 14 2019, 10:53 AM
blurjoey
post Oct 13 2019, 10:00 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

You're famous 😊

Attached Image
TSvoncrane
post Oct 14 2019, 12:00 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Oct 13 2019, 10:00 PM)
You're famous 😊

Attached Image
Eh.. Boss like you don't tease.. Me nowhere famous yet. biggrin.gif .. Thanks for the heads up.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Oct 14 2019, 05:10 PM
blurjoey
post Oct 14 2019, 03:12 PM

Sumo Hammy!
6,035 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 14 2019, 12:00 PM)
Eh.. Boos like you don't tease.. Me nowhere famous yet.  biggrin.gif .. Thanks for the heads up.
You're at a starting place. Slowly will go really fast laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
amanechoir
post Oct 22 2019, 12:08 PM

Getting Started
184 posts

Can this hub be connected to just a router to act as network storage rather than requiring o a computer?

Also, do share once you managed to finish your makeshift container. It's one of many concern i had when considering this dock for NAS.

TSvoncrane
post Oct 22 2019, 09:11 PM

Noir et fier!
7,082 posts

QUOTE(amanechoir @ Oct 22 2019, 12:08 PM)
Can this hub be connected to just a router to act as network storage rather than requiring o a computer?

Also, do share once you managed to finish your makeshift container. It's one of many concern i had when considering this dock for NAS.
Hi, yes it can... Matter of fact, I did think of doing exactly that. However, that required that I also purchased a significantly better router than my current ones. Since I had the spare PC (similarly for those who have an older pc) and two decent "plain" gigabit routers. I simply setup a wired AP and ran CAT 6E cables all over the place. All devices that require wired network have them and those on wireless only, had access to at least 2xxMbps speeds. Full network coverage around. After doing all that, I couldn't justify coughing up almost RM1K (or more..easily) for a one router to rule them all. Particularly one that's also capable of supporting 12TB or more drives. Though I suspect that might not be an issue since the Ugreen dock is also a powered dock.

Alternatively for others who don't have a PC or compatible router and want a more affordable setup, you can connect it to more low powered devices such as the RPI (RPI4 Model B, being the latest) or the ODROID-N2/XU4. These are respectable devices with a lot of community support.

Sure, once I'm done with it.. I'll share. Need to first hunt around for a container with an almost snug (ideally) rectangular fit.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Oct 22 2019, 09:53 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:14 PM