Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

381 Pages « < 286 287 288 289 290 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Interactive Brokers (IBKR), IBKR users, welcome!

views

AthrunIJ
post May 14 2022, 08:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

QUOTE(hedfi @ May 14 2022, 08:40 PM)
πŸ˜„ many considerations when it's a substantial amount
Then you are trying to invest too much.
There is also a saying.
Invest in the amount that t you are willing to lose.

Start small first then. An amount you won't lose sleep or called it substantial amount.

This post has been edited by AthrunIJ: May 14 2022, 09:32 PM
hedfi
post May 14 2022, 08:48 PM

On my way
543 posts

QUOTE(AthrunIJ @ May 14 2022, 08:43 PM)
Then you are trying to invest too much.
There is also a saying.
Invest in the amount that t you are willing to lose.

Start small first then.
Substantial amount and too much is 2 different things πŸ˜„

This post has been edited by hedfi: May 14 2022, 08:48 PM
AthrunIJ
post May 14 2022, 09:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

QUOTE(hedfi @ May 14 2022, 08:48 PM)
I see then you will have to make a move bruh.

All Ze best.
Ramjade
post May 14 2022, 09:16 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

You want to hold on to lousy ringgit or hold on to USD despite US govt print like crazy.

Also you need to consider US have the best companies in the world.
dwRK
post May 14 2022, 09:30 PM

the consummate chartist
5,116 posts

EUR CHF GBP quite beaten down... can invest in those markets first... pivot to us market later...

anyways can't run away from forex costs once you decide to go out...
hedfi
post May 14 2022, 10:10 PM

On my way
543 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 14 2022, 09:30 PM)
EUR CHF GBP quite beaten down... can invest in those markets first... pivot to us market later...

anyways can't run away from forex costs once you decide to go out...
That's what I'm doing, go EUR and back to USD when rates improve, just my believe that USD at this rate is unsustainable.

Just gauging other investors investment strategy, didn't expect to be lectured, everybody's got their own strategies
πŸ˜„
dwRK
post May 14 2022, 10:34 PM

the consummate chartist
5,116 posts

QUOTE(hedfi @ May 14 2022, 10:10 PM)
That's what I'm doing, go EUR and back to USD when rates improve, just my believe that USD at this rate is unsustainable.

Just gauging other investors investment strategy, didn't expect to be lectured, everybody's got their own strategies
πŸ˜„
good lah... usd has gone higher, so dunno how high it wanna go before reverse... but it can stay at high range for quite a while too...

anyways yeah we got some very enthusiastic folks here... hahaha
TOS
post May 14 2022, 10:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

πŸ˜„
Indeed can take advantage of the weak Euro to scoop up some European blue chips, that's what I plan to do too. Still waiting for EUR to to go weaker...

USD rate by the time it goes down chances are the stocks may have also risen and you will proably miss the boat. So go bit by bit can smoothen the forex impact. And it also depends on your purpose of investment. If the purpose is to save for retirement in Malaysia, then in long run the rates will still favour you. But if say in SG, then it will be a different story.

This post has been edited by TOS: May 14 2022, 10:43 PM
RayleighH
post May 14 2022, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

πŸ˜„
I invest in ETF which tracks the S&P 500 Index. What I noticed is that if you buy USD denominated ETF, the discount that you enjoy now will be in the similar magnitude as the S&P index fluctuations. However, if you buy the same ETF but denominated in currencies which are weakening against USD, you will not encounter as deep of a discount.

I.e.
1. S&P 500 dropped by 10%.
2. GBP weakened against USD by 5%.
3. Your GBP denominated ETF price might only have dropped by 4-5%.

So while you may exchange similar/more GBP with your MYR, you may not be able to load up as much stocks since they did not become very much cheaper.

On the other hand, you may not be able to exchange much USD since the currency has strengthened against MYR, so this may also result in you not able to fully enjoy the discount compared to if USD/MYR remained at a rather stable rate.

Then again, GBP/EUR/CFH has also been weakening against MYR, so maybe we get to enjoy some slight double dipping here? rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by RayleighH: May 14 2022, 10:55 PM
TOS
post May 14 2022, 11:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(RayleighH @ May 14 2022, 10:54 PM)
I invest in ETF which tracks the S&P 500 Index. What I noticed is that if you buy USD denominated ETF, the discount that you enjoy now will be in the similar magnitude as the S&P index fluctuations. However, if you buy the same ETF but denominated in currencies which are weakening against USD, you will not encounter as deep of a discount.

I.e.
1. S&P 500 dropped by 10%.
2. GBP weakened against USD by 5%.
3. Your GBP denominated ETF price might only have dropped by 4-5%.

So while you may exchange similar/more GBP with your MYR, you may not be able to load up as much stocks since they did not become very much cheaper.

On the other hand, you may not be able to exchange much USD since the currency has strengthened against MYR, so this may also result in you not able to fully enjoy the discount compared to if USD/MYR remained at a rather stable rate.

Then again, GBP/EUR/CFH has also been weakening against MYR, so maybe we get to enjoy some slight double dipping here?  rclxms.gif
What I can share is that a rule of thumb in investment is to let currency be a liability rather than tying to speculate on currrency movements. So if it's SP 500 funds, let the currency be USD, if it's Stoxx Europe 600, let the fund be denominated in EUR and so on.

Forex is not something we retail investors can control nor afford to speculate. Of course for larger entities like S-REITs with substantial income from just one country, they typically hegde their future distributions by locking in forward rates in advance.

Don't let the forex blind you until you have forgotten that your main purpose is to invest in the securities and not play around with the currencies. smile.gif
dwRK
post May 15 2022, 12:02 AM

the consummate chartist
5,116 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ May 14 2022, 11:05 PM)
What I can share is that a rule of thumb in investment is to let currency be a liability rather than tying to speculate on currrency movements. So if it's SP 500 funds, let the currency be USD, if it's Stoxx Europe 600, let the fund be denominated in EUR and so on.

Forex is not something we retail investors can control nor afford to speculate. Of course for larger entities like S-REITs with substantial income from just one country, they typically hegde their future distributions by locking in forward rates in advance.

Don't let the forex blind you until you have forgotten that your main purpose is to invest in the securities and not play around with the currencies. smile.gif
say you buy 100 kusd worth of eur stocks... at the same time just short 100 kusd of eur... this locks out usd-eur forex fluctuations... no speculations involved... everyone can do it biggrin.gif

TOS
post May 15 2022, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ May 15 2022, 12:02 AM)
say you buy 100 kusd worth of eur stocks... at the same time just short 100 kusd of eur... this locks out usd-eur forex fluctuations... no speculations involved... everyone can do it biggrin.gif
Of course can do that, in this case the returns you obtain from your EUR shares will be purely due to the stocks return only and no currency movements are involved. But not sure if you can short a currency pair indefinitely or as long as you like to hold the EUR stocks.

The "shorting" part involves tehnical nuances here, as compared to just convert USD to EUR first then buy directly in EUR. In the "short" case it also depends on whether the broker wants to continuously lend you the EUR to short.

Technically, the complexity of the trade also increases. Convert USD to EUR settles one trade, the position is close. Then use EUR cash to buy EUR stock, you are just left with 1 long position in EUR stocks. But in your "short" EUR example, you end up with 2 positions 1 long and 1 short at the same time.

Not to mention that it can be tempting to start tying to profit from the still-open forex position after some time or when the stocks return are not good. tongue.gif
dwRK
post May 15 2022, 01:13 AM

the consummate chartist
5,116 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ May 15 2022, 12:33 AM)
Of course can do that, in this case the returns you obtain from your EUR shares will be purely due to the stocks return only and no currency movements are involved. But not sure if you can short a currency pair indefinitely or as long as you like to hold the EUR stocks.

The "shorting" part involves tehnical nuances here, as compared to just convert USD to EUR first then buy directly in EUR. In the "short" case it also depends on whether the broker wants to continuously lend you the EUR to short.

Technically, the complexity of the trade also increases. Convert USD to EUR settles one trade, the position is close. Then use EUR cash to buy EUR stock, you are just left with 1 long position in EUR stocks. But in your "short" EUR example, you end up with 2 positions 1 long and 1 short at the same time.

Not to mention that it can be tempting to start tying to profit from the still-open forex position after some time or when the stocks return are not good. tongue.gif
Yes this will be another position. just saying it's available and easily done. but of course be smart about when to use it smile.gif

treat it as insurance lah... not as trading, then your mindset will be different

esyap
post May 15 2022, 01:57 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ May 14 2022, 04:13 PM)
Of course. Why should I not fund it? Things are on discount now. Miscotsoft hits 250 5his week alone.Nvidia dips to 15x range.

I am buying when I see deals regardles of how is the USD. Better for me to hold USD Vs RM anytime. Dont bother about currency if your goal is at least 10 years.
It have been proven with SGD Vs USD. What more RM Vs USD.
It's already not easy picking good stock at the fantastic price........... will end up no where if include 'waiting for favorable exchange rate' to decide on investment strategy

sgh
post May 15 2022, 03:48 PM

On my way
692 posts

QUOTE(esyap @ May 15 2022, 01:57 PM)
It's already not easy picking good stock at the fantastic price........... will end up no where if include 'waiting for favorable exchange rate' to decide on investment strategy
I agree but some stocks are so easily known GOOGL AAPL MSFT products services are everywhere in our lives in alot countries except China maybe. Hence these tech stocks future should be ok at least for another 5 years IMHO
TOS
post May 15 2022, 05:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

Some stuffs to read from Taiwan's 倩下杂志 CommonWealth Magazine, 23rd March to 5th April edition. A bit old but some stories still relevant.

*Open image in new tab to view it in Imgur if loading is slow in forum.

1. For semiconductor counters' investors, learn about (Ajinomoto Build-up Film) ABF substrate's role in the semiconductor ecosystem and why Intel leads TSMC in the backend fab world of advanced packaging.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Yes, Ajinomoto is not just famous of its MSG in your food. tongue.gif

https://www.ajinomoto.com/innovation/action/buildupfilm

2. Why Google and Samsung workers start to form trade unions?

3. Some economic reads on rent seeking in the health and real estate sector in HK. Learn why 55% of registered HK doctors work in private hospitals in HK only take care of 10% of HK's patients while the other 45% works in public hospitals and have to take care of 90% of patients in HK, with the devastating result of having a median appointment waiting period for outpatients in public hospitals of 133 weeks or about 3 years.

This post has been edited by TOS: May 15 2022, 05:25 PM
kucingfight
post May 15 2022, 07:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
5,736 posts

Is India stock available? Can't seem to see it mine
sp3d2
post May 15 2022, 07:20 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(kucingfight @ May 15 2022, 07:13 PM)
Is India stock available? Can't seem to see it mine
Only Indian citizen can purchase Indian stock in IBKR.
AthrunIJ
post May 16 2022, 10:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ May 15 2022, 05:22 PM)
Some stuffs to read from Taiwan's 倩下杂志 CommonWealth Magazine, 23rd March to 5th April edition. A bit old but some stories still relevant.

*Open image in new tab to view it in Imgur if loading is slow in forum.

1. For semiconductor counters' investors, learn about (Ajinomoto Build-up Film) ABF substrate's role in the semiconductor ecosystem and why Intel leads TSMC in the backend fab world of advanced packaging.

Yes, Ajinomoto is not just famous of its MSG in your food. tongue.gif

https://www.ajinomoto.com/innovation/action/buildupfilm
2. Why Google and Samsung workers start to form trade unions?

3. Some economic reads on rent seeking in the health and real estate sector in HK. Learn why 55% of registered HK doctors work in private hospitals in HK only take care of 10% of HK's patients while the other 45% works in public hospitals and have to take care of 90% of patients in HK, with the devastating result of having a median appointment waiting period for outpatients in public hospitals of 133 weeks or about 3 years.

Wait a minute. Umami flavoured Chips??!?!?! Count me in πŸ‘€πŸ€£
TOS
post May 16 2022, 01:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(AthrunIJ @ May 16 2022, 10:52 AM)
Wait a minute. Umami flavoured Chips??!?!?! Count me in πŸ‘€πŸ€£
Japan still has important roles to play in today's semiconductor world.

381 Pages « < 286 287 288 289 290 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:50 PM