Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Does anyone have experience working I.T overseas?

views

TSMussel
post Sep 26 2019, 11:18 PM, updated 5y ago

Casual
433 posts

Has anyone work as I.T. staff at overseas before?
How is it like working as I.T. executive in developed lands, e.g. Aus/Nz, Japan, etc?

At least I am and will not be qualified any soon, because all the while I wrote creepy code especially when using VB6....

The following are excerpt of ICT job posting from Australia: Do you think it is demanding?

Courtesy SEEK.com.au
Software Engineer
This contract Software Engineering role is well suited to someone who enjoys the challenge and excitement of developing new technology. You will need to navigate the architecture, quality, testing, V&V and delivery to market of a complex software product.

About the Company:
Our client is a Geelong, Victoria based company focused on the design and manufacture of equipment used for training Australian Defence Force personnel on the latest land platforms.

Key Responsibilities:
C/C++ Software Development for mission critical systems
Undertake functional analysis to identify optimum solutions against requirements
Oversee the Software Development Lifecycle (design-delivery-support)
Define test requirements and participate in system design reviews
Commission software systems in conformance with specification
Deliver technical solutions on projects to meet requirements
Comply with Company policies and regulatory requirements

Skills & Experience:
The successful applicant will be a qualified Software Engineer who has:
Experience designing, developing and testing software programs written in C++
Experience with defence industry processes & procedures
Knowledge of navigating the CASG ASDEFCON process will be highly valued
Experience across the full SDLC - from requirements through to integration
Experience with testing procedures & documentation
Strong problem-solving skills & effective team collaboration

Benefits:
Hourly rate $70-90 including Super (dependent on experience and background).
Long term project working on some exciting new technology - potential for further work

This is a role in the defence sector, so you must hold Australian Citizenship to be eligible.

Security clearance to BASELINE or above is essential.

Right to live and work
You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.
Data Scientist - APS 6

Our Federal Government Client requires an experienced Data Scientist to support the development and implementation of its Market Stewardship role

Required Skills

- Strong experience using SAS and SQL to manipulate and analyse data (must have) 
- Experience conducting data analysis or statistical research to identify trends in data
- Development of repeatable & parameter driven analytics dashboards

Desirable

- Experience using statistical methods for data analysis (correlation, regression, hypothesis testing, regression, etc.) 
- Programming experience in Python or R (highly desirable) 
- Experience working with data visualisation tools, such as SAS VA, Shiny R, or Tableau (highly desirable) 
- Experience working in disability services sector 

Additional Skills & Attributes

- Positive contemporary attitudes to people with disability 
- Advanced IT System competencies 
- Programming experience in SAS, SAS VA, and Excel 
- Exposure to other data analysis and visualisation tools
- Provide advice and problem solving for internal stakeholders in relation to data and analytical requests. 
- Analytical skills to draw on research, evidence and performance reports to influence improved processes
- Understanding of the NDIS marketplace and NDIS reforms.

tenukkongkong
post Oct 25 2019, 02:08 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

QUOTE(Mussel @ Sep 26 2019, 11:18 PM)
Has anyone work as I.T. staff at overseas before?
How is it like working as I.T. executive in developed lands, e.g. Aus/Nz, Japan, etc?

At least I am and will not be qualified any soon, because all the while I wrote creepy code especially when using VB6....

The following are excerpt of ICT job posting from Australia: Do you think it is demanding?

Courtesy SEEK.com.au
mayb u cn try sg first.
ProudMonyet
post Nov 5 2019, 09:49 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(tenukkongkong @ Oct 25 2019, 02:08 PM)
mayb u cn try sg first.
Agree with this.
bumpo
post Nov 6 2019, 09:43 AM

On my way
632 posts

i believe the technical side will be somewhat same and wont be too much difference but the working culture is very different.
in prague for one, you'll hardly see ppl stay back late. if cant finish today then stop and continue tmr. it is then viewed as project management issue due to not scoping timelines correctly
also in discussion or meetings they can be very vocal and fighting each other but the moment they step out its like jom lets go lunch. separation of professional and personal is quite distinct.
this corner of the world on other hand.. if gaduh in meeting then considered mortal enemy till end of times edi sweat.gif sweat.gif
viex
post Nov 7 2019, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
249 posts

I am thinking of working in Singapore long term after working as programmer for 4 years in KL
viex
post Nov 7 2019, 09:28 AM

Getting Started
249 posts

QUOTE(bumpo @ Nov 6 2019, 09:43 AM)
i believe the technical side will be somewhat same and wont be too much difference but the working culture is very different.
in prague for one, you'll hardly see ppl stay back late. if cant finish today then stop and continue tmr. it is then viewed as project management issue due to not scoping timelines correctly
also in discussion or meetings they can be very vocal and fighting each other but the moment they step out its like jom lets go lunch. separation of professional and personal is quite distinct.
this corner of the world on other hand.. if gaduh in meeting then considered mortal enemy till end of times edi  sweat.gif  sweat.gif
I think most part of European cultures see it that we
It is we Asians who are still ulu
but then, in the future, it is the Europeans who will lose the competition.
bumpo
post Nov 7 2019, 09:30 AM

On my way
632 posts

QUOTE(viex @ Nov 7 2019, 09:28 AM)
I think most part of European cultures see it that we
It is we Asians who are still ulu
but then, in the future, it is the Europeans who will lose the competition.
i feel what they compete on and what we compete on is different laugh.gif
TSMussel
post Dec 10 2019, 08:46 PM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(bumpo @ Nov 6 2019, 09:43 AM)
this corner of the world on other hand.. if gaduh in meeting then considered mortal enemy till end of times edi  sweat.gif  sweat.gif
Yes, it makes sense to me, I've never worked with people from other culture so the work culture that you described is interesting....
hft
post Dec 10 2019, 08:48 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

Compete with cheaper Indians. Ready for cheap pay?
malleus
post Dec 11 2019, 08:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(hft @ Dec 10 2019, 08:48 PM)
Compete with cheaper Indians. Ready for cheap pay?
Here's another interesting perspective from my current work place.

The client moved maintenance of existing systems to our Bangalore office, because it's cheaper. But at the same time, they requested to expand our in house team to cover more new projects coming up, because for new projects, it's easier to work with teams that are in the same location as them, instead of being split by both distance and timezone.

It very much depends on the nature of the work involved.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:10 AM