Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> any easier way to move files in uBuntu?, instead of using Command Line

views

TSk town shit
post Sep 15 2019, 11:05 PM, updated 6 months ago

Casual
449 posts

Hi people, Ayam is new to Linux/ uBuntu, Ayam found it very hard to learn the Command Line in Terminal, like every time move or unzip a file also need sudo like that,
is there any easier way to move files on ubuntu instead of using command line or Terminal?
I tried the Files app which comes together with uBuntu 18. But it doesn't allow me to unzip a file into the folder, I must use the Command Line with sudo instead.
My life is so hard since I moved from Windows to Linux. cry.gif

This post has been edited by k town shit: Sep 15 2019, 11:07 PM
moonsatelite
post Sep 15 2019, 11:11 PM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(k town shit @ Sep 15 2019, 11:05 PM)
Hi people, Ayam is new to Linux/ uBuntu, Ayam found it very hard to learn the Command Line in Terminal, like every time move or unzip a file also need sudo like that,
is there any easier way to move files on ubuntu instead of using command line or Terminal?
I tried the Files app which comes together with uBuntu 18. But it doesn't allow me to unzip a file into the folder, I must use the Command Line with sudo instead.
My life is so hard since I moved from Windows to Linux.  cry.gif
I do pop into using Linux once in a while and if I am not wrong, doesn't Ubuntu have a built in "Archive manager" and you could just double click to go into the file and copy/cut then paste the folder?

I might be wrong as .zip and .rar are different

Note: I use Live Ubuntu via Flash Drive

This post has been edited by moonsatelite: Sep 15 2019, 11:11 PM
zemega
post Sep 15 2019, 11:22 PM

Getting Started
256 posts

QUOTE(k town shit @ Sep 15 2019, 11:05 PM)
My life is so hard since I moved from Windows to Linux.  cry.gif
That is odd? Zip, rar, tar.gz, files can extract them just fine. Which raise the next question, why do you need sudo just to extract? What folder are you in when you are extracting?

You might be messing up in folders belongs to root. And if you create a folder with sudo, you'll need sudo access to do anything in it after that.

Ubuntu 18.04 should be user friendly. Since you said you are new, there are things that you should learn and understand. Like standard user access, sudo user access.
Buffalo Soldier
post Sep 15 2019, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
262 posts

1. Superuser rights/permission is only needed for doing changes in system's folder. If you're only copying/moving/extracting/compressing/editing files in your own home folder... it should be very straight forward as in windows

2. extracting/compressing is as simple as right clicking and selecting the action your want.
TSk town shit
post Sep 16 2019, 05:46 PM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(zemega @ Sep 15 2019, 10:22 PM)
That is odd? Zip, rar, tar.gz, files can extract them just fine. Which raise the next question, why do you need sudo just to extract? What folder are you in when you are extracting?

You might be messing up in folders belongs to root. And if you create a folder with sudo, you'll need sudo access to do anything in it after that.

Ubuntu 18.04 should be user friendly. Since you said you are new, there are things that you should learn and understand. Like standard user access, sudo user access.
I want to download some extra addon modules into this folder:
CODE
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/odoo/addons/

But it just doesn't allowed me to do so by using the Files app, you can see the error in the screenshot below:
user posted image

I tried find around the Files app, there is nothing to enable sudo (superuser does). So I guess the only way must be using Command Line Interface (Terminal). rclxub.gif
TSk town shit
post Sep 16 2019, 05:49 PM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(Buffalo Soldier @ Sep 15 2019, 10:28 PM)
1. Superuser rights/permission is only needed for doing changes in system's folder. If you're only copying/moving/extracting/compressing/editing files in your own home folder... it should be very straight forward as in windows

2. extracting/compressing is as simple as right clicking and selecting the action your want.
Yes, I wanna make changes to the system's folder, do u think is there any way I can change those files in there by using Files app, without using the Command Line? icon_question.gif
Buffalo Soldier
post Sep 16 2019, 07:39 PM

Getting Started
262 posts

Pardon me for sounding rude or harsh... but what are your trying to do TS?

If you're trying to be an Odoo (or any other system) integrator/implementer... I think you are approaching this the wrong way.

This is a frequent pattern I see with newbies (please don't take that as an insult, because we all started as newbie).

Instead of doing things the right way (Unix/Linux way), they die die want to do it the way they used to do in Windows land. Things that should take a few seconds to do... becomes a bottomless hole of never ending technical issues.

Perhaps you should start a new thread with a clear title and explanation of what you intent to achieve. Then people with right knowledge will find it easier to assist.
zemega
post Sep 16 2019, 10:28 PM

Getting Started
256 posts

Uh, you want to use some sort of package called odoo under python? Even in Linux, I would suggest you to use anancoda to manage python. Pip if you are more comfortable with it. Direct python, I would stay away from that, I have had enough reinstalling Ubuntu from messing up the python configuration. Its definitely me doing something wrong.

You really got to learn the basics of Linux first. Standard user, sudo user, root, permission, that kind of stuff. Fundamentally, there are big differences between Linux and windows. The way you jumping into python in Linux would mess up your whole OS, I have done that before.

I have a vague idea of what you want to do. There's a package called odoo, and you want to add some add-on to it. Its just like you want to add some add-on to Firefox. Difference is how you execute the odoo package.

Short answer to your question, run sudo nautilus in terminal. Long answer, that's not advisable.

Be prepared to reinstall your OS when all the python packages starts malfunctioning. Use anancoda, that's a safer approach.

This post has been edited by zemega: Sep 16 2019, 10:28 PM
TSk town shit
post Sep 17 2019, 10:04 PM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(zemega @ Sep 16 2019, 09:28 PM)
Uh, you want to use some sort of package called odoo under python? Even in Linux, I would suggest you to use anancoda to manage python. Pip if you are more comfortable with it. Direct python, I would stay away from that, I have had enough reinstalling Ubuntu from messing up the python configuration. Its definitely me doing something wrong.

You really got to learn the basics of Linux first. Standard user, sudo user, root, permission, that kind of stuff. Fundamentally, there are big differences between Linux and windows. The way you jumping into python in Linux would mess up your whole OS, I have done that before.

I have a vague idea of what you want to do. There's a package called odoo, and you want to add some add-on to it. Its just like you want to add some add-on to Firefox. Difference is how you execute the odoo package.

Short answer to your question, run sudo nautilus in terminal. Long answer, that's not advisable.

Be prepared to reinstall your OS when all the python packages starts malfunctioning. Use anancoda, that's a safer approach.
Is this the one that you mentioned? I searched for Anaconda in uBuntu Software, the result shows this only:

user posted image
Buffalo Soldier
post Sep 19 2019, 09:37 AM

Getting Started
262 posts

How are you TS? Hopefully you're still working through it and not give up.

To shed some light on what zemega mentioned... there are multiple implementations of Python:

1. CPython is the reference implementation/distribution of the Python programming language. Written in C and Python, CPython is the default and most widely-used implementation of the language.

2. ActivePython from ActiveState company

3. Anaconda Python from Anaconda company.

There are also multiple package managers for Python such as PIP (in CPython) and Conda (in Anaconda). It's mostly a matter of taste and what works for you. For me I've always used CPython and PIP.

Back to your issue... what are you trying to do exactly? Install an add-on or extension to Odoo? Which guide/how-to are you following?

TSk town shit
post Sep 20 2019, 01:38 PM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(Buffalo Soldier @ Sep 19 2019, 08:37 AM)
How are you TS? Hopefully you're still working through it and not give up.

To shed some light on what zemega mentioned... there are multiple implementations of Python:

1. CPython is the reference implementation/distribution of the Python programming language. Written in C and Python, CPython is the default and most widely-used implementation of the language.

2. ActivePython from ActiveState company

3. Anaconda Python from Anaconda company.

There are also multiple package managers for Python such as PIP (in CPython) and Conda (in Anaconda). It's mostly a matter of taste and what works for you. For me I've always used CPython and PIP.

Back to your issue... what are you trying to do exactly? Install an add-on or extension to Odoo? Which guide/how-to are you following?
Thanks, I'm still working on it.
skycrew
post Sep 24 2019, 02:57 PM

-sKy-
648 posts

QUOTE(k town shit @ Sep 16 2019, 05:46 PM)
I want to download some extra addon modules into this folder:
CODE
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/odoo/addons/

But it just doesn't allowed me to do so by using the Files app, you can see the error in the screenshot below:
user posted image

I tried find around the Files app, there is nothing to enable sudo (superuser does). So I guess the only way must be using Command Line Interface (Terminal).  rclxub.gif
then open the Files as root?

refer --> https://www.groovypost.com/howto/open-files...autilus-ubuntu/
meowtaro
post Sep 25 2019, 04:37 PM

28 posts

It's not recommended to change or install manually under /usr/lib except using os package manager (yum, apt).

Commonly application will allow to relocate data location.

If you talking about this Odoo: https://www.odoo.com/

I think you can relocate add-on directory by referring to this tutorial: How to Install Custom Modules in Odoo?

Better to relocate because when you update OS or Python packages (pip install --upgrade) update there was chances everything you install will be wipe out.

failed.hashcheck
post Sep 26 2019, 02:01 AM

I do agriculture
1,607 posts

lol all I see is you can certainly use all that energy going against the norm to instead sit down and learn how to use terminal efficiently.

I can't stress it enough for newbies: tab key is your friend.

Whats up with sudo trouble anyway? just type sudo if you need elevated permission. dont see how its hard. Not like you need to type oassword in each single sudo anyway. really too much sudo for whatever reason? the use su.

ok you just refuse to lean. ok la sweat.gif . but its not the end.

You can just run the filemanager in superuse mode. Be reminded this is a shitty way of doing things but it gets the job done for you.
Im not going to comment on what your ultimate goal is, but this will solve your immediate problem, that is working with elevated permission file manager.

I never use ubuntu, but I guess it has Gnome now. In KDE you can run file manager as root with
CODE
kdesu dolphin

and it will work perfect.
But im not familiar with ubuntu/gnome, but I heard gksudo (gnome's equivalent to kdesu) has gone in newer ubuntu.

so you may try just run directly with sudo from terminal.

In terminal, just type
CODE
sudo -H nautilus

enter your password.
it supposed to launch new file manager window with root permission so you can do whatever you want, including destroying your system, GUI-style. -H parameter will let it run with root user setting, in addition to root permission.

This post has been edited by failed.hashcheck: Sep 26 2019, 02:10 AM
TruboXL
post Oct 12 2019, 04:23 PM

Casual
483 posts

New way of running apps with elevated priv. in a specific path is use polkit built into the apps

CODE
nautilus admin://<path>

Example:
CODE
nautilus admin:///etc/

gksudo is LONG dead

sudo can be used in x11 but not recommended in wayland, hence polkit if preferred
Chelsea01 P
post Feb 4 2020, 11:43 PM

Probation
36 posts

In Ubuntu, you can use the drag and drop feature to copy/move files from one directory to another.
You could also right-click on the file, copy it and then paste it wherever you want to.
abubin
post Feb 6 2020, 12:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,341 posts

learn commandline. Once you know how to use it will be much faster than using GUI.

Hope it's not too late or others can benefit.

You an use "sudo bash" command to elevate into root. Once you are root, all commands will work without using sudo in front cause you are already root user.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0402sec    3.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th February 2020 - 01:44 PM