Sony OLED A8F 55", below RM6000

views

Dannyoski
post Sep 20 2019, 03:46 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(mpyw @ Sep 17 2019, 02:16 PM)
Just go download the firmware and update using USB drive, I did mine months ago
waiting for OTA update will take long long time and with the risk of losing internet connection, I would prefer USB update
Any idea when is the next firmware release to support eARC?
Our A8F HDMI port oledi support HDCP 2.3 in the latest fw update which is sufficient to support lossless Atmos through eARC.
TSmingsoon
post Sep 29 2019, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

Hi,

Any owners updated to Android Oreo? Read on internet, some complaints have issue after update, such as loss of previous setting, tv slower, etc.

Would like to hear from your experience before updating mine.

Thanks in advance.
TSmingsoon
post Sep 29 2019, 12:07 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(mpyw @ Sep 17 2019, 02:16 PM)
Just go download the firmware and update using USB drive, I did mine months ago
waiting for OTA update will take long long time and with the risk of losing internet connection, I would prefer USB update
Is below linkt, the latest firmware?
https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support...levant_products

one stupid question (please forgive me), is firmware referring to android update? Or firmware and android are 2 different update we need to apply?
mpyw
post Sep 30 2019, 11:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,594 posts

QUOTE(mingsoon @ Sep 29 2019, 12:07 PM)
Is below linkt, the latest firmware?
https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support...levant_products

one stupid question (please forgive me), is firmware referring to android update? Or firmware and android are 2 different update we need to apply?
Yup, that's the latest
firmware could include security, OS, bug fixes etc, not necessary limited to android only
gobiomani
post Sep 30 2019, 11:49 AM

Casual
466 posts

My Sony Z9D which is a 2016 model also already update to Oreo. Its quite stable since Sony Asia Pacific actually delayed the update to fix the issues faced by users in North America and Europe who received the update in early 2019.

The OS is slightly more responsive with the Oreo update compared to Nougat. The limitation on previous years Sony tvs are the Mediatek SoC. The newer ones are significantly faster.

Also Sony is very slow in updating their software but at least they are better than some like LG that don't update you to the next WebOS version although its their own proprietary software. That said, WebOS is better in many ways compared to Android on Sony tvs.

Anyway in my opinion, newer Android software doesn't bring much to the table so it doesn't really matter that much. As long as its stable and they fix bugs, that's good enough.

Its best to get a separate box for smart features anyway.
TSmingsoon
post Sep 30 2019, 12:27 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(mpyw @ Sep 30 2019, 11:22 AM)
Yup, that's the latest
firmware could include security, OS, bug fixes etc, not necessary limited to android only
Thanks for your response. Means by applying this firmware will include OS, android, etc. No other updates required.

I have downloaded the file, its almost 2GB file. rclxub.gif

Luckily got your advice to download first into usb then only apply the firmware update on the tv. thumbup.gif

Thanks a million.
TSmingsoon
post Sep 30 2019, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(gobiomani @ Sep 30 2019, 11:49 AM)
My Sony Z9D which is a 2016 model also already update to Oreo. Its quite stable since Sony Asia Pacific actually delayed the update to fix the issues faced by users in North America and Europe who received the update in early 2019.

The OS is slightly more responsive with the Oreo update compared to Nougat. The limitation on previous years Sony tvs are the Mediatek SoC. The newer ones are significantly faster.

Also Sony is very slow in updating their software but at least they are better than some like LG that don't update you to the next WebOS version although its their own proprietary software. That said, WebOS is better in many ways compared to Android on Sony tvs.

Anyway in my opinion, newer Android software doesn't bring much to the table so it doesn't really matter that much. As long as its stable and they fix bugs, that's good enough.

Its best to get a separate box for smart features anyway.
Alright. Thanks for sharing. Yea, agree with your points on the better side of WebOS and Android update wont be fantastic. nod.gif
gobiomani
post Sep 30 2019, 01:58 PM

Casual
466 posts

QUOTE(mingsoon @ Sep 30 2019, 12:28 PM)
Alright. Thanks for sharing. Yea, agree with your points on the better side of WebOS and Android update wont be fantastic.  nod.gif
IMO when buying a tv, we should focus on the picture quality. Smart features are nice to have but not essential to have on the TV. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, we can always go for a separate box if needed. But have to make sure that the picture is good. So AF8 or C8, just pick whichever is cheaper and/or comes with better warranty. Try to go for 65" instead of 55". Bigger is better and avoid buyer's remorse later.
TSmingsoon
post Sep 30 2019, 02:19 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(gobiomani @ Sep 30 2019, 01:58 PM)
IMO when buying a tv, we should focus on the picture quality. Smart features are nice to have but not essential to have on the TV. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, we can always go for a separate box if needed. But have to make sure that the picture is good. So AF8 or C8, just pick whichever is cheaper and/or comes with better warranty. Try to go for 65" instead of 55". Bigger is better and avoid buyer's remorse later.
Yea, agree. That's why i chose Sony as i prefer the picture more natural, compared to LG C8 which has its pro also.
55" is enough for my small living hall. Yea, agree, if you have a larger hall, 65" is a better choice.
TSmingsoon
post Oct 1 2019, 02:18 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

Hi,

Any owner here remember when just set up the tv, it already prompt for Panel Refresh?
Just wonder if the refresh is necessary since it's new set.
Some told me that we should not Refresh too frequent.

Thanks in advanced.
Dannyoski
post Oct 1 2019, 07:46 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

Since upgraded the latest firmware. One important function is missing. Anyone figure out how to close all background apps?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0113sec    0.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:10 PM