Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Worthy upgrade for old car

views

minoru89
post Sep 16 2019, 09:25 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Sep 16 2019, 07:36 PM)
Examples https://www.lazada.com.my/products/200w-car...ZnEWyL&search=1
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/best-sal...ZnEWyL&search=1

Anything above 300W cant be plugged into the 12V DC socket. and if you want to add more sockets and support more watts, need to add new wires so you dont overload existing ones from branching off.

Some universal laptop PSUs also include 12V DC car plugs too.

First start with your car's inverter, all inverters have a max power output rating. It produces power to charge the battery and power the whole car, and the max rating is usually not for sustained use, so i would put sustained use at 1/4 the max rating.

So in that 1/4 rating you must fit
- max watts to power car
- 300W for already installed dc socket
- all the car's electricals and computers (things like lights, wipers,etc)
- engine cooling
- additional items you want to add and power

then add wiring to add additional slots. Very important that wiring is water tight.
You can run more cables, so you can add slots. It will require modifying things like drilling through interior covers and such but you'd be amazed at just how much space cars actually have. Some newer cars have seats with compartments in them as well as if you look at how big a seat actually is, can fit quite a bit. Some seats like in quite a few cars such as the higher spec ford ranger (not sure if they have this option in malaysia) come with inverters with the plugs on the seats as well so rear passenger can actually plug a laptop in and do work, maybe even a tray.
hope it helps.

Sofa, kitchen sink, bar, Can even extend.
There are much older episodes where they add all this to normal cars for fun, and in top gear making a car for old people too including all furniture, all in a hatchback. No time to find the clips.
In 1 grand tour episode they modified a large 2nd hand sedan to be very much like a home, includes a fireplace too.
I reckon it is much, much more convenient to buy power bank and additional battery pack for laptop and other electrical gadgets. Cost less and safer too without having to worry short circuit and risk of fire.

In my opinion, getting old car comfortable (aircond, quality window tint, soundproofing, sound system) and pleasure to drive (engine upgrade with brake upgrade, suspension, chasis bar, lighter rim and tyres) are both what to strive for.

My motto is "Clean car is a happy car". Sometimes polish and wax, change of wipers, carpet deep clean and change car seat cover can do wonders.

This post has been edited by minoru89: Sep 16 2019, 09:29 PM
minoru89
post Sep 16 2019, 11:18 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Sep 16 2019, 10:42 PM)
ofcourse, just saying the other things one can upgrade other than those.
Also power banks or lithiums in general have the tendency to expand/catch fire, so power banks arent exactly safe either. To think of a use case for practicality, lets say you went on a long road trip or even on holiday, so those electricals can come in handy, could be cheaper than getting a hotel with everything or when you are at the side of the road and need to do something. power banks cant supply a laptop and the ones that can cost more than what i listed for a built in inverter sufficient to provide 100W AC.

Why would anyone use powerbank to charge a laptop? I said buy another laptop battery, most laptop comes with detachable battery. Buying battery and power bank is better because it can be used in flight, classroom, client office ir somewhere else

plus some fun like why not bake something while going downhill on a long pass, used the engine to maintain your speed and send the power to an oven or something.
Oven in car? I find you are either sarcastic or a moron when you suggesting this.

Powering something using car power supply is never a good idea as car electrical power fluctuates and can damage the gadgets in the long run. And all those "useful" laptop charging scenario doesnt make any sense as I did not see it being done in real world. A driver cannot drive and do assignment on laptop at the same time. And one certainly cannot bake while zipping through the winding roads at changing traffic condition.

This post has been edited by minoru89: Sep 16 2019, 11:25 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:02 PM