Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Worthy upgrade for old car

views

TSKitty_catts
post Sep 11 2019, 08:09 AM, updated 2w ago

Getting Started
72 posts

What are some worthy upgrade/accessories for an 10+ year old car that doesnt cost a bomb?

So far i thought of
Headunit n speaker
Headlight
Dashcam

Some of the suggestion given
1) engine mounting n suspension syste.
2) tyres and rim
3) soundproffing
4) aircond service
5) tint
6) brakes

This post has been edited by Kitty_catts: Sep 13 2019, 12:41 AM
nebula87
post Sep 11 2019, 08:22 AM

Fg = mg
701 posts

Tinted.
littlegamer
post Sep 11 2019, 08:34 AM

Getting Started
178 posts

Change all parts listed in the maintenance. And tyres. Confirm safer and have better predictable breakdowns.
woodentiger86
post Sep 11 2019, 08:35 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

Decent rims. Might transform how the car looks [if you're more into aesthetics].

Still remembered how Alpina rims transformed my previous E32 into a beauty! And a fresh coat of Deep Sea Blue paintjob too!

user posted image
rangeseven
post Sep 11 2019, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

i would prioritize on comfort and safety really

dashcam - is a necessity for your own protection
headunit - android head unit
speakers - change front speaker with tweeter is good enough. no need rear / subwoofer upgrade
tyre - get those Ultra High Performance tyre like Hankook Ventus V12 evo2
leather wrap the seat.... although some would complain seat become hot in malaysia

my next target for my car is noise insulation... can do slowly... do whole car i think 2k
trapezohedron13
post Sep 11 2019, 02:48 PM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Sep 11 2019, 08:22 AM)
Tinted.
This +1

And noise insulation depending on your car
TSKitty_catts
post Sep 11 2019, 08:04 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Sep 11 2019, 08:22 AM)
Tinted.
Done..🤣🤣🤣 even ppf-ed the headlight after polish
TSKitty_catts
post Sep 11 2019, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 11 2019, 08:35 AM)
Decent rims. Might transform how the car looks [if you're more into aesthetics].

Still remembered how Alpina rims transformed my previous E32 into a beauty! And a fresh coat of Deep Sea Blue paintjob too!

user posted image
But original rims cost a bomb... might gonna be a long time to save up for those.
TSKitty_catts
post Sep 11 2019, 08:06 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(trapezohedron13 @ Sep 11 2019, 02:48 PM)
This +1

And noise insulation depending on your car
Do u know how much is the cost for insulation esp the wheel arc?
TSKitty_catts
post Sep 11 2019, 08:08 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(rangeseven @ Sep 11 2019, 02:03 PM)

speakers - change front speaker with tweeter is good enough. no need rear / subwoofer upgrade
leather wrap the seat.... although some would complain seat become hot in malaysia

my next target for my car is noise insulation... can do slowly... do whole car i think 2k
I guess i have done everything except leather wrapping. Didnt know u can do that unless u change the whole seat.

Noise insulation sounds goood too. 2k is whole car or door n roof panel only? Im looking forward to insulate the wheel arch.
Pugbunny
post Sep 11 2019, 11:34 PM

Casual
376 posts

Interior refurbishment like door trim, cracked dashboard, roof lining
arza04
post Sep 11 2019, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
182 posts

My 13 year old wira I replaced the whole suspension set(spring, absorber, arm, bushing, everything)...spent like rm2k. Oh and engine mount too rm500 original.

I diy basic audio system. China double din player, 4 branded speakers, subwoofer and amps..spent like 1.5k

Buy one roll sound proofing material. Diy soundproof door panel, bonnet, floor and roof. Did not do firewall area because i scared to remove the dashboard

Interior still good because i really take care of it, no refurbishing done. If u see it u will not believe the interior is 13 years old haha
System Error Message
post Sep 12 2019, 12:16 AM

Regular
1,288 posts

QUOTE(rangeseven @ Sep 11 2019, 02:03 PM)

For these things you do have to upgrade the electrical system and interior.

My suggestions are beefier motor (some cars can use dual purpose motor which is also starter that can output higher amps and is beefier so last longer), then add more 12/24V sockets. Accessorise a little, if you have the arm rest at the back, see about adding storage, socket there, even cupholders.

In addition to that you can get decent modulated sine wave plugs that let you plug regular AC powered devices into them with only 2 things to worry about, amps (starter and wiring) and what devices you can use. Only AC motors cant be plugged into them and some devices that like continous waves but electronic devices work fine. Wiring is very important too for the amps even for additional DC sockets.

You can upgrade the chairs. In some cars the chairs are removable so can get newer lighter chairs, even ones with storage, tray or even upgrade to leather if you use fabric. Rear chairs can consider if can add storage. Some cars have chairs that can be folded to reveal storage, or have storage bins under.

Definitely get your car tinted so it wont be hot.

Additional DC sockets let you plug in stuff, and also extra wiring to install more things. I would put the android head unit as optional but i would strongly suggest a reverse camera with wireless screen (scotty kilmer has a good recommendation on specific modal), as to me ICE is pointless, as i got my own tablet and such, so might as well just have in car adapters for laptops and USB ports to charge phone and tablets, even power dashcam, rear camera screen, and interior mounts for them.

to me having an android unit as ICE is pointless since as you drive you arent supposed to be looking at the screen but the road. Its only worth if you can tweak settings in your car (which can be a thing if you connect to ODB port to show live data like fuel consumption, and sensors like speed in a cool way you like), but otherwise its pointless even for passenger as at the back it doesnt help much and you arent supposed to operate it either.

If you have storage that isnt part of your boot, you can add a small fridge that can be powered by DC, but that just depends on your budget, i wouldnt say its expensive if you can fit an off the shelf tiny fridge but also depends on your needs.

Lastly if your car doesnt have, a full sized spare tyre.
ThunderGod_Cid
post Sep 12 2019, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

show us a photo of your car inside out with engine bay. We'll advise

i believe what you need is more of a restoration
woodentiger86
post Sep 12 2019, 06:07 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(Kitty_catts @ Sep 11 2019, 08:05 PM)
But original rims cost a bomb... might gonna be a long time to save up for those.
Yea, that's the thing. Unless opting for replicas etc. Mine are not 'ori' per se but I got a good deal back then.

Like most here have shared, best to work on the interiors like the android HU, decent tint job and probably a good sound system, and it will be a very comfortable and memorable personal ride! nod.gif
sohailayhun
post Sep 12 2019, 10:51 AM

40 posts

Wira upgrade = engine 15-20k
kelisa upgrade = convert engine 5-7k
Naza Ria upgrade = convert engine 9-13k
BMW E946 upgrade = convert engine 2jz brows.gif brows.gif
hyrano
post Sep 12 2019, 01:28 PM

23 posts

Older cars can probably change engine mount and suspensions/brakes. Then your ride quality should almost be like new already.

The rest is just stuff like new seat cover, new head unit, new audio, some soundproofing maybe.

Maybe even a new paintjob/wrap. Any old car, if your paint is fresh and you polish and wax it, will look really good. Makes you stand out so much from other old cars.

wkc5657
post Sep 12 2019, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

1) dashcam should be top of your list, most useful among everything else
2) replace all door seals
3) get a better tyre if you don't have one
4) service alternator and starter motor
5) replace coil packs
6) full interior and cushion wash
7) change to higher quality floor mats
8) complete air cond servicing

Just be wary of speaker upgrades, could be a deep rabbit hole. Take note of the power requirements, as you may need to upgrade your alternator and a good rewiring job.

This post has been edited by wkc5657: Sep 12 2019, 02:39 PM
abubin
post Sep 12 2019, 04:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,044 posts

If you want to save cost, I suggest not change speaker system. Just get a bluetooth boom box with good sound quality is enough. A good one cost less than RM100. Portable too. If you're getting headunit, I think radio also should work with it.
Jescon
post Sep 12 2019, 04:52 PM

4 posts

I would say focus on the engine and "safety" (old cars barely have safety anyway - the metal becomes weak), e.g., think about removing your catalytic converter ( tongue.gif ), better air intake, TUNING (a must), better brake discs and pads (eg Bendix), sportier tyres (don't bother with "fuel consumption" at this point") (i used potenza), lighter rims (research this properly), suspensions (if needed, strut bars), etc. Headlights and rear lights.

I would actually advice to save the cash instead of spending on a 10 year old car, but I myself have spent on my 2004 Gen2 previously. whistling.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0441sec    1.09    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 12:17 AM